New to the Board

Talk about your truck here

Moderators: Cal_Gary, T. Highway, Monkey Man, robi

m-11
SGT
SGT

New to the Board

Post by m-11 »

Hey guys, I found your site while searching for M37 info. Anyway I'm going to look at a 51 or 52 M37 tomorrow after work. This vehicle is all original unmolested. It has several small items missing or broken but others have told me this was normally the case when you find one of these. So far the data plate and frame match. The engine is original here's the serial # T-245-203571. I'm curious because the delivery date is 12/28/51 but the serial number is beyond 80017256 which is the ending number for Dec 51. So is this vehicle an early 52? The contract # is 8615. Here's more about the condition of the vehicle: The seats are deteriorated, one windshield is cracked, passenger door latch is frozen, drivers mirror gone, canvas top there but I doubt its serviceable,(its laying in the bed), Surface rust through out but no cancer. Floor boards and frame are solid. It ran two years ago before being parked. All data tags are present but faded. Tail gate is dented and spare tire missing.
HingsingM37
1SG
1SG

Post by HingsingM37 »

Welcome M11. There is a wealth of knowledge and friends here. That truck description sounds typical of what is out there in the "needs work" catagory. It sounds as if it is missing the usual items. Looking for missing parts is half the fun of restoring one of these fine Dodges. The "ran when parked" is a usual line associated with most vehicles that have been sitting. Make sure the engine at least turns freely or if it does not be prepared to tackle a potential overhaul. The serial number issue I cannot comment on as I am not an authority on the number sequence. It all boils down to the price of the truck and how much time and $ you want to spend. These are great trucks. I gave up my motorcycle back in 05' to buy one and I don't miss the bike a bit :D
David
HingsingM37
1958 M37B1
1968 M101A1 Trailer
MVPA# 33078

"Do Not Take Counsel of Your Fears"
General George S. Patton Jr.

"Those who pound their guns into plows, will plow for those who do not".
Lifer
1SG
1SG

Post by Lifer »

Like David said - the truck seems to be in "normal" condition for one that hasn't been rescued yet.

On the year issue, the serial number and delivery date indicate it is a 1951 model. We pretty much go by year of manufacture with our MVs since they raarely change anything during the production run. When the M37B1 was introduced, it was the first (and only) change in the entire production run of M37s. It wasn't like the civilian cars of the era which underwent major changes in body style every year with the models for the coming year being introduced in the fall of the previous model year, such as the '57 Chevy becoming available in September of '56.

Welcome to the forum, and I'm glad to see another Air Force lifer aboard. I retired as a TSgt, myself. "Comm weenies" rarely made the top three, so I guess I did okay. ;)
"PER ARDUA AD ITER"
Cal_Gary

Post by Cal_Gary »

Welcome M11!! You've stumbled into a gold mine of M37 enthusiasts here, with a wealth of knowledge for any M questions you will surely have. Also, there are tons of parts available for your rig at fairly decent prices if you shop around.

Again, welcome!
Gary
Cal_Gary
1954 M37 W/W
MVPA Correspondent #28500
jbxx
SGT
SGT

Post by jbxx »

Welcome! Loads of info here.
J.B.
mike_l
SGT
SGT

Post by mike_l »

Welcome, I see you made it over from the G503.com site. Lots of experience here. Don't forget to scan through the archives. I think most everything has been discussed at least once but we seem to like to rehash a lot of stuff too. Ask anything you like.
Mike
Marion, IN
1954 M37 W/OW
1953 M101
Indiana MVPA
m-37Bruce
1SG
1SG

What They Said

Post by m-37Bruce »

Welcome M-11, Have you entered your info on Robi's G-741 Registry yet?
Bruce,

1953 M-37 w/ow

Retired Again

Keep Em Rollin'

VMVA
m-11
SGT
SGT

Post by m-11 »

Thanks for the warm reception. I couldn't pass this up and I've seen what they normally go for in this condition so I thought it was a bargain at $750.00. Anyway I thought I'd share some photos so you can see what I got myself into. The frame number and data plate both match. Is the hood number suppose to match anything? Also there is a hole in the dash just left of the glove box. Any idea as to what was there? Enjoy and feel free to comment good or bad on this rig.

knattrass
SFC
SFC

Post by knattrass »

Welcome - truck is better than what we started with! The hole in the dash left of the glovebox is the knockout for the defroster duct that came with the hot water personnel heater kit. Looks like you have an off-brand heater already installed/not M37. Every now and then a duct will be on ebay or you may want to look for the complete kit.
Lifer
1SG
1SG

Post by Lifer »

Thanks for the pics! It looks like you've got your work cut out for you, but at least you have something to work with. ;)

Two questions:

(1) I know it's a long way down the road, but do you plan to keep it in OD with Army markings, of would you rather paint it Strata Blue with USAF markings? If you choose to go AF, I have the TO for painting and markings.

(2) What's the Brit bike on the stand? It looks like a WWII era military Triumph or BSA from what I could see of it.
"PER ARDUA AD ITER"
refit1701
1SG
1SG

Post by refit1701 »

Welcome!

My truck was worse than that and had been used as a parts truck, you got a good deal on one with most everything still there. Mine is a AF truck and is going back blue.
-John
Member of Dixie Division MVC

1953 USAF M37 wow, restored
1962 M151 Ford Production, on the rotisserie now
1953 USMC M37 w/w -in storage
1942 M6 Bomb Service Truck (sold to UK collector)
1967 M116A1 Pioneer Trailer
1968 M101A1 Trailer
S-89 Comm box
m-11
SGT
SGT

Post by m-11 »

Thanks for the feedback. I did joke with the guy when I bought it about hoping it didn't rain since the top is gone. He told me not to worry because this thing had been buried in 3 ft of snow this past winter. One other item I noticed on this rig is that there is a hole in the front bumper. Did these things have a hand crank for the engine?
Lifer

Two questions:

(1) I know it's a long way down the road, but do you plan to keep it in OD with Army markings, of would you rather paint it Strata Blue with USAF markings? If you choose to go AF, I have the TO for painting and markings.

(2) What's the Brit bike on the stand? It looks like a WWII era military Triumph or BSA from what I could see of it.
(1) I'm going to keep it original Army OD. If it would have been a truck that couldn't be identified as attached to a specific branch of the military than I probably would have gone with the AF colors. The most fun I've had with this MV hobby is researching the vehicle markings and placing the vehicle with a particular unit or base.

(2) I had to go back to the photos I attached to see the bike you referred to. The photos you see other than the M37 are not mine. When you get to the G503 photo site just click on "My Photos" and it will show you just my stuff. Thanks for bring this to my attention.

knattrass: Thanks for letting me know about that hole in the dash. So are the hot water heaters the same unit that are used in the newer vehicles, i.e. 2 1/2 ton, mutts?
jbxx
SGT
SGT

Post by jbxx »

Good looking truck !
Lots of potential.
Yes, there was a hand crank.
Remember, thumbs in, start on the upstroke.
That is if you want to keep your thumbs and wrists in one piece.
J.B.
mike_l
SGT
SGT

Registration Number

Post by mike_l »

As with the M151s, the hood number is the registration number and would also have been painted on the tailgate. No one has found a link to the registration number vs. the SN though they generally will run sequential with the SN. The M37 registry here is the only thing I've seen that will give an idea of how they ran.
Mike
Marion, IN
1954 M37 W/OW
1953 M101
Indiana MVPA
knattrass
SFC
SFC

Post by knattrass »

The M37 was a fender mount specifically designed as the worst possible inefficient heater - but eh, if you want original - its the only game. John at MWM had some complete kits - you'll need to check if that' what you want. Mine was $550 +shipping. Like said, original is $$$$$.