Superwinch lockouts and an in bed spare tire holder

Buy and sell M37 and related stuff

Moderators: Cal_Gary, T. Highway, Monkey Man, robi

Forum rules
Your Location must be included in your advertisement or it may removed without notice.
Karl Kostman
PVT
PVT

Superwinch lockouts and an in bed spare tire holder

Post by Karl Kostman »

Hello folks I just got my new (to me) 1952 M-37 home from a 2000 mile recovery, all went well besides the almost blizzard/ice conditions on the return drive through Wis. I made it and all is well. I have a question for you experts out there concerning manually locking hubs of the SUPERWINCH variety. This truck has them and my questions is am i able to pull the front hubs off the truck in the same/normal manner with these hubs on, or is there something different I have to do accommodate these locking hubs? Number 2 on my list is I am looking for an in bed spare tire holder, it mounts on the right side on the headboard in the front of the bed. If anybody has one they are looking to sell please PM me and let me know the details please.
Thanks much for any input concerning these items!
I am located in Fargo ND
Karl
Elwood
MSGT
MSGT

Re: Superwinch lockouts and an in bed spare tire holder

Post by Elwood »

VPW has a reproduction of the M37 cargo box spare wheel/tire bracket. Page 89 of their 2016 catalog: http://vintagepowerwagons.com/pdf/parts/18body.pdf. I have one of the VPW repros, and it appears to be of a thicker steel than the OEM one I have.

As for the hubs, I didn't do any thing special when removing my locking hubs. But you might get more replies posting that question on the tech forum.
“When a long train of abuses and usurpations, pursuing invariably the same Object evinces a design to reduce them under absolute Despotism, IT IS THEIR RIGHT, IT IS THEIR DUTY, TO THROW OFF SUCH GOVERNMENT...” -Declaration of Independence, 1776
Cal_Gary

Post by Cal_Gary »

Hi Karl,
Congratulations on your purchase! I run Superwinches and they just bolt on. No special trick to install/remove them.

Plenty of guys here with parts trucks that should be able to help on the spare tire mount.
Gary
Cal_Gary
1954 M37 W/W
MVPA Correspondent #28500
Karl Kostman
PVT
PVT

Post by Karl Kostman »

From North Dakota

Thanks guys for the info I have been dealing VPW on a few things already so it looks like that is where I will go to get the Spare tire carrier! And thanks for this info on the lockouts I will be pulling the front wheel bearing out tomorrow and will need to deal with the hubs then, sounds pretty straight forward!
Thanks again Guys
Karl
Elwood
MSGT
MSGT

Post by Elwood »

Welcome to g741.org, Karl. But what's the big idea, plucking a good M37 out of my state to take to North Dakota? :lol:

The front hubs are relatively straight forward. Lots of good documentation in the TM9-8031-2 manual, as well as here on g741. The search function here is really useful before diving in to a project like that.

John Bizal at Midwest Military might have that spare tire bracket, too. I don't see it on his new website, but not everything he has in stock is on there yet. It's worth giving him a call: http://midwestmilitary.net/index.htm
“When a long train of abuses and usurpations, pursuing invariably the same Object evinces a design to reduce them under absolute Despotism, IT IS THEIR RIGHT, IT IS THEIR DUTY, TO THROW OFF SUCH GOVERNMENT...” -Declaration of Independence, 1776