Calling for rain .....Aberdeen show.

Talk about your truck here

Moderators: Cal_Gary, T. Highway, Monkey Man, robi

Nickathome
1SG
1SG

Calling for rain .....Aberdeen show.

Post by Nickathome »

Looks like we're in for some rain from Thursday to Saturday, with Friday being the steadier of the three. Hoping this doesn't deter any of the vendors from sticking things out. I'm going regardless, will just wear the old rain poncho if need be.

Maybe by Thursday the forecast will have changed.
refit1701
1SG
1SG

Post by refit1701 »

At least the show is in a parking lot, not a muddy field. I'm bringing my rain equipment cause I need some good deals!
-John
Member of Dixie Division MVC

1953 USAF M37 wow, restored
1962 M151 Ford Production, on the rotisserie now
1953 USMC M37 w/w -in storage
1942 M6 Bomb Service Truck (sold to UK collector)
1967 M116A1 Pioneer Trailer
1968 M101A1 Trailer
S-89 Comm box
Nickathome
1SG
1SG

Muddy Field......

Post by Nickathome »

refit1701 wrote:At least the show is in a parking lot, not a muddy field. I'm bringing my rain equipment cause I need some good deals!
Funny you should mention the muddy field. I don't know if you remember when the Aberdeen show was being held in the proving grounds, or even up in Churchville at the big field. Man, I remember two such shows where the place was a muddy quagmire. The show in 2003 was such. Thats the year I bought my truck, and what a mess that was. I had to have a skid loader pull the truck to the road just to get it loaded onto the rollback.

I actually prefer the Ripkin site . Much easier parking, and no worries about mud if it rains. I know some of those guys like the rain because all I saw the year I bought my truck were guys out in the field 4 wheeling. Saw a Humvee getting pulled out of the mud by an M37 too. That was cool.
refit1701
1SG
1SG

Post by refit1701 »

This will be my first Aberdeen visit so I missed the muddy past.

I don't mind missing it....
-John
Member of Dixie Division MVC

1953 USAF M37 wow, restored
1962 M151 Ford Production, on the rotisserie now
1953 USMC M37 w/w -in storage
1942 M6 Bomb Service Truck (sold to UK collector)
1967 M116A1 Pioneer Trailer
1968 M101A1 Trailer
S-89 Comm box
mattveeder
CPL
CPL

Post by mattveeder »

I will be there aberdeen is with out a doubt my favorite show to take my m37 to. As long as it is not too bad I should say.
Nickathome
1SG
1SG

Aberdeen...

Post by Nickathome »

I'm hoping to bring my truck to Aberdeen someday, just not this year. I have mine on the road but I don't trust it yet to a 40 mile one way trip. So far the farthest away from the house I've been in it is about 5 miles.
gwalker
CPL
CPL

Post by gwalker »

I remember to before the event was at the Proving grounds, it was first held at Summit Air park in Middletown De.The trail rides were along the banks of the nearby Delaware canal. I believe a guy named
Steve Roberts sponsored it there, he was married to a DuPont (I heard) and had some vintage mil. aircraft hangered there.(DeHaviland "Beaver" and T-6 trainers) it was just a fraction of what it is now.
68 M-715 MVPA# 2710
Nickathome
1SG
1SG

Summit

Post by Nickathome »

Hmmnnn, I never knew that the show was held at Summit airport. I have flown into that airport several times back in the day.....
Carter
1SG
1SG

Post by Carter »

I was at Summit several times for the rally. One year I bought a complete M37 Southwind Gas burning heater kit for $100, that same year Steve Roberts took me for a ride down to the Summit bridge and back in the T6 trainer. Following those years, Roberts, Doc Morthimer Dick Darren my self and a couple of other guys met with the army people at Aberdeen Proving Ground and organized the first of many rallys at APG before 9/11 when we were ask to relocate due to security concerns.
Carter
Life Member:
Delta, Peach Bottom Fish & Game Assn.
Nickathome
1SG
1SG

Aberdeen...

Post by Nickathome »

The very first rally I went to was inside the proving ground. I was just gettin ginterested in the idea of owning a military vehicle and saw an ad for the show. My wife and I went down there late in the afternoon on a Saturday. It was raining then as I recall. The first thing I saw upon enterin gthe site was a halftrack driving toward me. I was hooked from then on. I went to one other show there before 911, then the rest at the Churchville site and now Ripkin......
Carter
1SG
1SG

Post by Carter »

Nick, back then I knew a couple of gents who were big wheels at APG and I ask if the Blue & Grey MV club could join in the army's celebration of Armed Forces Day and after several meetings it was agreed they would have us as guests and that what was going on when you attended. The rally dates shifted several times but it was a blast being able to take our MVs and try to drive thru the Munson mud test course or take a ride in a tank recovery M88 also in the mud or watching the fire power demonstration where they took us to the range and shot almost every type of weapon the army had in service at the time including the 20mm Vulcan cannon at 6000 rds/min. RRRRIIIIIPPPPP Oh the good old daze before osama :evil:
Carter
Life Member:
Delta, Peach Bottom Fish & Game Assn.
Nickathome
1SG
1SG

Good old daze....

Post by Nickathome »

Yep, nothing like a large dose of terrorism to ruin everything!

I remember the second rally I went to at APG, they had a Volvo Laplander (never saw one before or since) up for raffle and my dad and I took a chance. Man how I wanted that thing. Didn't win of course but it was fun dreaming about it. That little sucker would have made a nice camper/deer hunting rig. From what I remember of it it kinda resembles a smaller version of a pinzgauer.
TOM R
SSGT
SSGT

Post by TOM R »

man heavy winds there today then rain and overcast, kickin myself guy had a bed pedistal complete with mount cheap and i walked past all day went to leave and it is now being held for someone :x oh well will ask again tommorow
1945 t24/m29 weasel
1946 cj2a ww2 style
1954 m37
mvpa 31698
nra lifer
m35gibson
PFC
PFC

Post by m35gibson »

oh,, theres a name that sends cold chills down my spine,,,,,
steve roberts, ask him somtime if you see him at aberdeen again, where he got his humvee from,,, :P , ive heard the story six times,, each time a little diffrnt,lets just say,,,,,,, somwhere, a humvee turned up missing at an armory,,,,,,and ill leave it at that :wink: , he wasnt married to a dupont,,, he was born into the family,,,lets just say i know more about this guy then i want to :cry:
kevin
if it aint broke, fix it till it is.