Original Primer on Green Trucks

Discuss fixes, upgrades and modifications to your M37

Moderators: Cal_Gary, T. Highway, Monkey Man, robi

w30bob
1SG
1SG

Original Primer on Green Trucks

Post by w30bob »

I may have asked this previously, but can't remember the answer..........what color was the primer used on green trucks during assembly? On my AF M37 the color under all the Strata Blue on the underside of the truck is black. I'm talking on both diffs, under the running boards, under the cab floor, etc. I know someone on here told me the red oxide we see on parts was only put on spare parts, or used during repaints by the Army, it was not on parts used to originally assemble the trucks. So on green trucks what was the color under the green...........if there was one at all?

thanks,
bob
carolinamv
SSGT
SSGT

Re: Original Primer on Green Trucks

Post by carolinamv »

Good question , mines restored ,but all red oxide primer.
-Jay

MVPA#31295
Military Vehicle Collectors of Colorado
http://www.mvcconline.org
3/3 CAV HWB
RMS
MSGT
MSGT

Post by RMS »

all the primer Ive seen is red lead or a lime green self etching primer depending on the part. never seen anything but black on the frame.
.............................. use it ...............
longshot2171
PVT
PVT

Post by longshot2171 »

The lowest layer on my 1963 is lime green (cab floor, running boards).
jjw
Jess
SSGT
SSGT

Post by Jess »

On my M37CDN, the frame has a black coating right against the bare steel. It is very durable and in good condition in most places. I expect this is some type of frame paint that they used, as the original dark green is next over top. I wish I could get something as good today. The body of this truck has a lot of layers of paint and some parts are white down a few layers, which may indicate UN service somewhere like Cyprus or Sinai, or a winter cam job. It has never been other than the Canadian Army and then mine, so that's not a civy paint up.

I was in the paint shop the other day, and a lot has changed with their products since I painted enamel in the driveway 30 years ago as well as $$$$.
isaac_alaska
SFC
SFC

Post by isaac_alaska »

I think I know the black paint you're talking about, my buddy used some real similar stuff when he painted a mining dredge. Glossy, very durable, and painted right over the existing rust. 5 years later, after living on the bering sea in the waves and salt spray every summer, most of that paint is still in good condition, and in lots of places I think its the only thing left holding that dredge together. I'll see if I can figure out what it was that he used.
Isaac
Fairbanks, AK
Civilian WM300 on DC3 tires
'52 M37 on 11x16 Michelin
'52 M37 on Apple R-1 tractor tires
Photo Gallery
Chris P
CPL
CPL

Post by Chris P »

On my 1954 the lowest layer on both doors is red oxide. On the frame it's black.
Chris P
1954 M37
MVPA
MHCC
isaac_alaska
SFC
SFC

Post by isaac_alaska »

I was mistaken, he used a red oxide primer followed by "exterior metal" paint. Held up really well.
Isaac
Fairbanks, AK
Civilian WM300 on DC3 tires
'52 M37 on 11x16 Michelin
'52 M37 on Apple R-1 tractor tires
Photo Gallery