East Coast Blizzard of 2016

Discuss all non M37 related issues here

Moderators: Cal_Gary, T. Highway, Monkey Man, robi

Carter
1SG
1SG

East Coast Blizzard of 2016

Post by Carter »

We are only half way through this monster storm hitting the east coast as I type this. Have 18" on the ground and we are forecast to get up to 36". Been shoveling runs for the pets and plan to take the truck out later in the day to clear the private road in front of my home. Blizzard, full moon and my birthday all together on the same day, what a present, 3 feet of snow, my daughter Caroline baked a cake for me and can not get it here :( ...More with pics later.
Carter
Life Member:
Delta, Peach Bottom Fish & Game Assn.
Elwood
MSGT
MSGT

Re: East Coast Blizzard of 2016

Post by Elwood »

Happy birthday, Carter.

Please post more photos of your plow setup, close up and in action. 8) I always enjoy seeing your rig (it inspires me to get going on mine again - I could really use a snowplow!)
“When a long train of abuses and usurpations, pursuing invariably the same Object evinces a design to reduce them under absolute Despotism, IT IS THEIR RIGHT, IT IS THEIR DUTY, TO THROW OFF SUCH GOVERNMENT...” -Declaration of Independence, 1776
Gerry
MSGT
MSGT

Post by Gerry »

Happy Birthday. Glad the majority of snow stayed south of Connecticut
Gerry

53 M37
Carter
1SG
1SG

Post by Carter »

It wasn't easy getting the truck out of the garage because of so much snow, I had the blade angled to roll the snow to the left which caused the truck to skid to the right. Had a lot of trouble in the driveway moving 24 inches of compacted snow. I was able to get out of the driveway and made a few passes on the road that runs in front of our home and got stuck several times doing it because as noted above the truck preferred to slide to the right instead of moving the snow to the left. At that time the snow was falling at about 2 inches an hour and accumulated all over the mirrors and drivers window. The vacuum wipers aren't worth a damn and had trouble keeping the windshield clear while driving in near white out conditions. I gave up after about an hour and thought I'd try again tomorrow after the snow stops and the sun comes out. The pictures posted below will give you some idea of what I was dealing with. According to the local TV station this is the worst snow this area has ever had! :shock:

Carter
Life Member:
Cal_Gary

Post by Cal_Gary »

Happy birthday Carter! What a birthday gift! Love the new pictures, too!

We're getting hit again tonight too-nothing like the East Coast but we could have a foot or more before it's finished.

Veronica volunteers at the Sundance Film Festival in Park City every year-it's going on for the next two weeks and I'm the designated driver so we'll have to leave earlier than normal in the early morning hours-no telling how much snow will be in play.

Everyone stay safe over there-our thoughts are with you as you dig out! Keep those photos coming! I will do the same!
Gary
Cal_Gary
1954 M37 W/W
MVPA Correspondent #28500
T. Highway

Post by T. Highway »

Carter,

Great action pictures of the M37 earning its keep. Happy birthday, did your wife make you cookies for your birthday?

Bert
1952 M37 W/W Rebuild @ 59% complete
Engine rebuild @ 95% complete
1985 M1009, 1990 M101A2, 2008 M116A3 Pioneer tool trailer
MVPA # 24265
NRA Life Member
NRA Cert. Personal Protection Pistol Instructor
NRA Cert. RSO
Class III RSO/KCR
Monkey Man
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Monkey Man »

Carter, I sooooo wish I was there to help you, it looked like you had it 100% under control though :-)
Happy 22nd Birthday for yesterday Carter....(well, we all know you're not 21 anymore :wink: )

MM
Trained Monkey on Guard
dodgem37@netspace.net.au
Carter
1SG
1SG

Post by Carter »

Well guys I found the M did not have enough power to handle 3' of heavy snow, our final total, it kept sliding sideways away from the angle the plow was set.. I worked on the road in front of our home and the resulting path looked like some drunk was at the controls. I ended up having to use my tractor equipped with a front end loader just to clear my driveway which took just about 2 hours for a 100' of drive. Bummer that the M was not up to it, I probably could have installed chains however that still would not have solved the sliding sideways problem, just not enough front end weight! :(
No cookies Bert but a great tasting chocolate cake with chocolate and coffee icing baked by my Daughter who lives next to me and waded through the drifts to deliver it, way to go Caroline. :D
Elwood, here is a link to the plow set-up, lots of pics: http://g741.org/photogallery/main.php?g2_itemId=14109
Thanks for the birthday greetings friends, much appreciated.
Carter
Life Member:
Carter
1SG
1SG

Post by Carter »

Monkey Man wrote:Carter, I sooooo wish I was there to help you, it looked like you had it 100% under control though :-)
Happy 22nd Birthday for yesterday Carter....(well, we all know you're not 21 anymore :wink: )

MM

I also wish I had some help, would like to be 22 again but I am now 72 and not as fit as in past years but Sandy and I managed to get most all of the job of removing the snow by ourselves and were just about done in at the end of a long day. I had hoped my son in law would help but after shoveling his 15' drive he was too tired to help? Oh well such is life.
Carter
Life Member:
Elwood
MSGT
MSGT

Post by Elwood »

Carter wrote:Well guys I found the M did not have enough power to handle 3' of heavy snow, our final total, it kept sliding sideways away from the angle the plow was set.. I worked on the road in front of our home and the resulting path looked like some drunk was at the controls. I ended up having to use my tractor equipped with a front end loader just to clear my driveway which took just about 2 hours for a 100' of drive. Bummer that the M was not up to it, I probably could have installed chains however that still would not have solved the sliding sideways problem, just not enough front end weight! :(
No cookies Bert but a great tasting chocolate cake with chocolate and coffee icing baked by my Daughter who lives next to me and waded through the drifts to deliver it, way to go Caroline. :D
Elwood, here is a link to the plow set-up, lots of pics: http://g741.org/photogallery/main.php?g2_itemId=14109
Thanks for the link.

You've probably already posted this somewhere, but I couldn't find it: what blade width are you using?
“When a long train of abuses and usurpations, pursuing invariably the same Object evinces a design to reduce them under absolute Despotism, IT IS THEIR RIGHT, IT IS THEIR DUTY, TO THROW OFF SUCH GOVERNMENT...” -Declaration of Independence, 1776
dmowrey3@comcast.net
PFC
PFC

Post by dmowrey3@comcast.net »

Happy Belated , great pics,,,, you might have done better with different tires on you truck :)
Carter
1SG
1SG

Post by Carter »

Elwood wrote:
Carter wrote:Well guys I found the M did not have enough power to handle 3' of heavy snow, our final total, it kept sliding sideways away from the angle the plow was set.. I worked on the road in front of our home and the resulting path looked like some drunk was at the controls. I ended up having to use my tractor equipped with a front end loader just to clear my driveway which took just about 2 hours for a 100' of drive. Bummer that the M was not up to it, I probably could have installed chains however that still would not have solved the sliding sideways problem, just not enough front end weight! :(
Thanks for the link.

You've probably already posted this somewhere, but I couldn't find it: what blade width are you using?
It is a six and a half foot blade.
Carter
Life Member:
Carter
1SG
1SG

Post by Carter »

dmowrey3@comcast.net wrote:Happy Belated , great pics,,,, you might have done better with different tires on you truck :)
Thanks and yes better tires would have been a great help. Also chains but I was to lazy to install them so I used my four wheel drive tractor that has a front end loader to pick the snow up and move it instead of pushing it.
Carter
Life Member:
Elwood
MSGT
MSGT

Post by Elwood »

Carter wrote:
Elwood wrote:
It is a six and a half foot blade.
Thanks, Carter!
dmowrey3@comcast.net
PFC
PFC

Post by dmowrey3@comcast.net »

Carter , it was probably better to scoop it anyways....and with all the snow that slid off your garage it must have been six foot deep at the door . That garage is sweet ! How big is it ? I have 24 + 40 I need to get it insulated like yours . How many sheets did you use to cover your walls ? Thx Dave