Cab top straps/ annoying when driving......

Talk about your truck here

Moderators: Cal_Gary, T. Highway, Monkey Man, robi

Nickathome
1SG
1SG

Cab top straps/ annoying when driving......

Post by Nickathome »

Wondering if anyone else has this problem. Its really more of an annoyance. When I drive the excess strap from the cab top straps winds up handging down like a dog's tongue when his head is out the window. I rerouted the ends of the straps back inside the loop in the top hoping this would cure the problem but haven't had the truck out to test things. Anyone else experience this problem and how did you fix it? I really don't want to resort to using zip ties to hold these things from flopping around but may have to if all else fails.
tmbrwolf
PFC
PFC

Post by tmbrwolf »

I did what you have done, looped the excess back under the buckle and it hasn't come out since!
Ken
SFC USA (ret)
51 M37
52 M38
andre

Post by andre »

i took some loops off some old leather belts & added them to each strap. i also wear a helmet
Tom @ Snake River
SSGT
SSGT

Post by Tom @ Snake River »

I redo the straps so that they are upside down with the buckle on top and towards the canvas top. In theory the buckle could rub into the canvas, but it works.
www.snakeriver4x4.com
M-37's - WC-51 - M-29C - WC-25 cc - CCKW
M-274 - M-101 - G-527 Water Buffalo
G-7117 Chevy
Rusty S.
PFC
PFC

straps

Post by Rusty S. »

I have the buckles all the way back and the "dog tongue" sticks out toward the back and hangs down. The ends then can be tucked up between the bow / cab top and the strap running towards the front.

RS
Rusty S.
Nickathome
1SG
1SG

Loops

Post by Nickathome »

I drove my truck the other day with the excess straps routed back up into the loops int the top and this worked great. No more strap hanging in my face.
SydneyM37
CPL
CPL

Cab Straps

Post by SydneyM37 »

I took me roof off, fixed it just fine,,,

Only kidding, i use electrical tap to strap up the loose ends,,,green tape of course.

Bruce
Keep em green to keep ya keen
SOTVEN
SFC
SFC

Post by SOTVEN »

HELLO ALL!!! UNFORTUNATELY, I NEVER HAD SUCH STRAPS!! SO FROM THE VERY BEGINING I USED TWO PIECES OF ELCTRICAL STEEL PIPE ABOUT 3/4 OF AN INCH, CRUSHED AND BEND ITS ENDS. THAT WAS IT, THEY CAN BE REMOVED EASILY AND REINSTALLED. JUST MY TWO CENTS. :)
LIFE IS SHORT AND ENDS UNEXPECTEDLY. MAKE EVERY MOMENT WORTH REMEMBERING.
Nickathome
1SG
1SG

Cab top straps

Post by Nickathome »

Really anything can be used so lon gas you're not going for an original look. The first M37 I briefly owned had rope tied fore and aft in a crossover pattern which held the top up well, but it looked like $hit...
kc8sfq
PVT
PVT

straps

Post by kc8sfq »

I have the buckles all the way to the aft, I then tie the tails of the straps around the working portion of the straps and into the loop formed by going around the working portion in what boy scouts would call a half hitch.

I know it sounds more complicated than it is. Lots 'a' miles this way without a problem
No society in history has ever taxed it's way to prosperity.