Help with choosing what engine to swap in

Discuss fixes, upgrades and modifications to your M37

Moderators: Cal_Gary, T. Highway, Monkey Man, robi

Bearofalltrades
PVT
PVT

Help with choosing what engine to swap in

Post by Bearofalltrades »

I looking for advice on what engine to swap into my M37.

What i have in mind is one of two engines. The first is a 351W Ford with a ZF 5spd or a Cummins 6bt with a NV4500.
What ever engine I decide to go with, I will be swapping the axles out for a D60 front with a D70 rear with 4.56 gears. With the diesel I might gear up to 4.11.

I know the 4bt is a better option, but in this part of the country they are very hard to find and are twice as expensive.

Jess
SSGT
SSGT

Re: Help with choosing what engine to swap in

Post by Jess »

Do a search on the Builder Blog on this site, there have been a number of Restomod type swaps where the drive trains were switched out with more modern. 'retiredguy' and 'masteryota' are two of the members who have posted their projects. I have an acquaintance that did a body swap onto an early 90s Dodge 4x4 and stretched the M37 box. Others have kept the frame and replaced everything else. Someone will chime in with their experiences. I prefer them as delivered and don't mind the slower pace combined with the real 4x4 capability. Have fun with whatever you do.
W_A_Watson_II
SFC
SFC

Post by W_A_Watson_II »

Engine and drive-line selection is always an interesting thread. But first if you are looking for others input it would help is we understand your intended use, as that is a big factor in selecting what would fit best.

https://www.google.com/search?q=repower ... 8&oe=utf-8
Thanks,
Will
1946 Dodge Power Wagon
1953 Dodge M37 - "Frankenstein"
My 1953 Dodge M37 WEB Site
Bearofalltrades
PVT
PVT

Post by Bearofalltrades »

My plan is to use it as a play toy and some time daily driver.