Seat belts added...

Discuss fixes, upgrades and modifications to your M37

Moderators: Cal_Gary, T. Highway, Monkey Man, robi

Cal_Gary

Seat belts added...

Post by Cal_Gary »

I shared that I'm now running errands rather frequently up and down the 10% grades here in the Wasatch mountains. Seeing the uncertainty and fear in my wife's eyes when we're on those grades resulted in me adding some generic military belts that I got on eBay a few years back. Anyway, I had this post out here but somehow it is gone so I have added it again, with a picture. Seems a lot safer with the lap belt, especially with Winter on the way, and they tuck away out of sight if I display the vehicle.
Gary
Attachments
seat belts installed.JPG
seat belts installed.JPG (16.67 KiB) Viewed 1837 times
Cal_Gary
1954 M37 W/W
MVPA Correspondent #28500
52 M-42
SFC
SFC

Re: Seat belts added...

Post by 52 M-42 »

The picture is nice, Gary, but could you please show how you anchored / attached them? The details of the installation is the crux of the seat belt issue.

Thanks! :D
ZGjethro
SFC
SFC

Post by ZGjethro »

I put a 3x3" piece of 1/8" backer plate on the underside of the floorboards for my two year olds car seat anchors and ran 1/2" grade 8 bolts through them. I haven't put in belts yet for me or the outboard passenger (wife) yet
Cal_Gary

Post by Cal_Gary »

Sorry for not adding the mount process. I used Grade 8 5/16 bolts with star washers, using a step bit on the passenger seat box frame, a shared mount on the center reinforcing brace, and the driver's box frame. The belt brackets have reinforced support rings stamped within so I am confident that they'll do the job (especially at the speeds I drive).
Gary
Attachments
passenger outer seat belt mount .JPG
passenger outer seat belt mount .JPG (11.02 KiB) Viewed 1802 times
center shared seatbelt mount.JPG
center shared seatbelt mount.JPG (17.09 KiB) Viewed 1802 times
Cal_Gary
1954 M37 W/W
52 M-42
SFC
SFC

Post by 52 M-42 »

Thanks, guys! I've been thinking about doing this for awhile, but wasn't sure of where to anchor them. Sheet metal didn't seem like a good choice.

Thanks again! :D
ashyers
MSGT
MSGT

Post by ashyers »

Has anyone tried a shoulder belt? I keep looking at that steering wheel shaft and the passenger side dash!
52 M-42
SFC
SFC

Post by 52 M-42 »

In all fairness to the trucks, their time period and the design criteria, these trucks were quite "modern" when designed and built (they are contemporaries of the U-2 aircraft - not a phenomenally safe plane) . The military as a rule (even today) gives absolutely zero consideration to passenger / operator comfort or "safety". These trucks are strictly utilitarian. As the saying goes: "Designed for combat not for comfort (or safety)".

Trying to "delethalize" these trucks is a fool's errand. There is no roll bar, marginal brakes, originally no turn signals, only one tail light / brake light, no seat belts, no crumple panels, seats in the cargo bed, etc. Trying to satisfy post 1967 safety standards is impossible. By today's standards it is a "death trap" and a lot of people would love to completely ban ownership or operation.

Accept the truck for what it is, what it was meant to do, and the purpose and period for which it was built. There are lots of modern, more efficient, safer trucks available.

Life is not "safe", it is an adventure. Everyone has different comfort levels with "risk".

Sorry for the rant but applying "modern standards" to the past is something that pushes my buttons.

A quote from Blase Pascal (1623 to 1662) to consider:

" The art of revolutionizing and overturning states is to undermine established customs, by going back to their origin, in order to mark their want of justice. "

In short, judge the past by the standards of the past. Judge the present by the standards of the present. :D
ZGjethro
SFC
SFC

Post by ZGjethro »

I don't think anyone putting belts it these vehicles are trying to meet modern standards. I like to drive it around town and my little boy loves it. He needs to be in a carseat by the common laws in every state. My added seat belt seems to work, and I have the top tether going back into the bed and anchored to the spare wheel carrier. Everything seems to function, but I'm sure if I had a safety inspector check it out he'd have a fit. Fortunately I don't have to do that in Colorado, yet. I might put them in for the driver and passenger also. I'd like to avoid going through the front window in a slow speed collision, though lap belts only pretty much means your face would hit the dash or window
Cal_Gary

Post by Cal_Gary »

Since my spouse of nearly 33 years is more comfortable with a lap belt in MY truck, what the military or any "purist" believes is irrelevant.
Gary
Cal_Gary
1954 M37 W/W
just me
1SG
1SG

Post by just me »

Not sliding around in rough country helps maintain control. Lap belts keep me from sliding around. And it is highly unlikely I'll ever need to grab my rifle and bail out in an instant, so the extra second to undo a seatbelt isn't an issue.
"It may be ugly, but at least it is slow!"
carolinamv
SSGT
SSGT

Post by carolinamv »

The Military now a days sure puts safety and some "quite nice" comfort into the vehicles.
-Jay

MVPA#31295
Military Vehicle Collectors of Colorado
http://www.mvcconline.org
3/3 CAV HWB
T. Highway

Post by T. Highway »

Great looking addition Gary.

Bert
1952 M37 W/W Rebuild @ 59% complete
Engine rebuild @ 95% complete
1985 M1009, 1990 M101A2, 2008 M116A3 Pioneer tool trailer
MVPA # 24265
NRA Life Member
NRA Cert. Personal Protection Pistol Instructor
NRA Cert. RSO
Class III RSO/KCR
Cal_Gary

Post by Cal_Gary »

Thanks Bert! With Winter on the way I needed to get 'em done!
Gary
Cal_Gary
1954 M37 W/W