Got oil changed, seized engine :(

Talk about your truck here

Moderators: Cal_Gary, T. Highway, Monkey Man, robi

jim lee
SSGT
SSGT

Got oil changed, seized engine :(

Post by jim lee »

It was time for an oil change so I stopped in my usual shop and had it done. Noticed what smelled like burning header paint on the way home. Checked under hood, seemed fine. Made it to work friday and the machine just didn't seem to rev. up like I remembered. I figured it was my own imagination. Oil psi seemed ok. Going home the engine seized up.

Oh boy..

Not really looking forward to rebuilding the engine again.

-jim lee
52 M-42
SFC
SFC

Re: Got oil changed, seized engine :(

Post by 52 M-42 »

So, what happened? Sounds like you garage forgot to put oil in it or did they leave the oil pan plug out?

There has got to be more to this story....
carolinamv
SSGT
SSGT

Post by carolinamv »

Yep im curious, I have a rebuilt motor in mine with a bit over 3k miles, changed the oil numerous times and not heard of a problem like that.
-Jay

MVPA#31295
Military Vehicle Collectors of Colorado
http://www.mvcconline.org
3/3 CAV HWB
jim lee
SSGT
SSGT

Post by jim lee »

Last night, when it happened, I figured it was either a failing water pump or generator bearing. It was making a louder and louder scraping sound so I figured I'd play it safe, shut it down and get a tow. (Have local towing company on speed dial.) Got the machine towed to the shop and wasn't able to start it. It popped, then it would barely turn over.

Grabbed the fan and couldn't budge it. "Water pump I bet." To get it in the shop, I loosened the fan belt and tried to start it again, but no luck. Could hardly move the crankshaft. Still thinking it was the water pump and the belt was just not loose enough, we pushed it in the shop and went home. On the way home I started thinking about it and realized I never checked the water pump or generator after loosening the fan belt. Damn thing kept me up last night thinking about it.

This morning I went back to the shop and checked. The water pump and generator spun free. And it was full of oil.

At this point I'm totally stumped. I thought I'd read here somewhere about people changing oil and having the new detergent oil picking up the old left over sludge. Then this clogging the oil passages and causing bearing failure. Looked last night but couldn't find the thread about it. Could this happen instantly? This motor is around 6k old, would this be old enough to have a sludge build up? Did they put detergent oil in it this time? They have been really good about using straight 30 weight.

Was it coincidence? One heck of a coincidence then. It was running so well I was thinking about trying a new road trip adventure.

That's what I know so far.

-jim lee
just me
1SG
1SG

Post by just me »

Thermostat stuck and you cooked it? Any water in the radiator?
"It may be ugly, but at least it is slow!"
Cal_Gary

Post by Cal_Gary »

That is just devastating news and a sick feeling-I felt that I'd done the same when mine steamed up and overheated. Luckily mine was just the head gasket-I'm terribly sorry that yours is so much more severe.:(
Gary
Cal_Gary
1954 M37 W/W
MVPA Correspondent #28500
Sal
SFC
SFC

Post by Sal »

Sounds like someone by mistake didn't refilled it with the right stuff .. maybe ATF ? :shock:
1954 M37 WO/W
1969 M101A1
1967 M416
Carter
1SG
1SG

Post by Carter »

Take an oil sample, send it to a lab. and find out what you have, maybe grounds for a law suit.
Carter
Life Member:
Delta, Peach Bottom Fish & Game Assn.
w30bob
1SG
1SG

Post by w30bob »

Jim,

That sucks. Reminds me of when a buddy of mine picked up his shiny new 2003 Mach 1 from the Ford Dealer. They never filled the cooling system, so when he started driving it home it overheated and locked up. But it was fine once it cooled down and they added coolant. I'm hoping you're as lucky as he was.

The choices so far are Overheated, Wrong Lube, or Coincidence. I'm anxious to hear the real answer.

regards,
bob
just me
1SG
1SG

Post by just me »

We haven't mentioned failed fuel pump putting gas in the oil yet.
w30bob
1SG
1SG

Post by w30bob »

Hi Just,

I've heard about the fuel diluting the oil............but never met anyone that it actually happened to. Was there anyone on here that experienced such a failure?

thanks,
bob
just me
1SG
1SG

Post by just me »

Have had several forklift engines through the shop killed by dilution with gas and a 6BT Cummins when the drive seal to the pump failed and filled the crankcase with D2.
jim lee
SSGT
SSGT

Post by jim lee »

Well, the radiator is full of water/antifreeze so that seems in order. The engine is not completely seized it will turn a -little- bit. If it was a blown head gasket I'd assume it would be completely locked. The battery voltage is at 25V so there's plenty of power available. As for the fuel pump failing and diluting the oil? The fuel pump was rebuilt 6k miles ago, the oil doesn't smell like gas and it was only in the engine for about 40 minutes.

I've not dug any deeper 'cause really I'm not ready yet.

-jim lee
jim lee
SSGT
SSGT

Post by jim lee »

Addendum, pulled the plugs.

One through four looked like this.

Here's number five.

Here's number six.

What's going on back here?

And yes, with the plugs out its still not moving. ALso clutch petal in or out makes no difference.

-jim lee
greencom
SGT
SGT

Post by greencom »

w30bob wrote:Jim,

That sucks. Reminds me of when a buddy of mine picked up his shiny new 2003 Mach 1 from the Ford Dealer. They never filled the cooling system, so when he started driving it home it overheated and locked up. But it was fine once it cooled down and they added coolant. I'm hoping you're as lucky as he was.

The choices so far are Overheated, Wrong Lube, or Coincidence. I'm anxious to hear the real answer.

regards,
bob
About that Mach 1, I would have demanded a new engine, I can't believe no damage was done.