Hey Carter, License Plate light...

Discuss fixes, upgrades and modifications to your M37

Moderators: Cal_Gary, T. Highway, Monkey Man, robi

Cal_Gary

Hey Carter, License Plate light...

Post by Cal_Gary »

Carter and all,
Here are a couple of pictures of mine. I got a big round magnet at the local craft shop, got the actual light at the local Auto parts store, siliconed the light assembly to the magnet then routed a barrel connector to the positive side and a flat spade connector for the ground. Easily removable when not needed.
Gary
Attachments
License plate light.JPG
License plate light.JPG (21.77 KiB) Viewed 1198 times
Close up-license plate light.JPG
Close up-license plate light.JPG (15.85 KiB) Viewed 1198 times
Cal_Gary
1954 M37 W/W
MVPA Correspondent #28500
Sal
SFC
SFC

Re: Hey Carter, License Plate light...

Post by Sal »

I used the same universal licence plate light that Gary used but mounted it on the license plate holder I made out of sheet metal and attached it under the drivers side tail light. By doing it this way all I had to run was a short jumper wire to one of the tail light connectors. (#21) The light is grounded through the mounting bolts on the tail light. I also had to replace the 12 volt bulb the fixture came with 24 volt one.

PLATE3.jpg
PLATE3.jpg (27.83 KiB) Viewed 1188 times

Sal
:mrgreen:
1954 M37 WO/W
1969 M101A1
1967 M416
Carter
1SG
1SG

Post by Carter »

Gary; That is a great idea and I have several such magnets that will do the job for me. I used that same style light on my equipment trailer.
Now a question, what is the number of the wire you tapped for the electric power to the light?

Sal; My problem is that I have mounted the plate on the tailgate using existing holes so I need something that will accommodate that set-up. I will figure out something but no hurry since I do not drive at very much at night.
Carter
Life Member:
Delta, Peach Bottom Fish & Game Assn.
Cal_Gary

Post by Cal_Gary »

Remember Carter that I use a Painless Performance wiring harness on mine; however, to provide a target for you, I just ran a jumper wire from my taillight wire (grab your multimeter if you need to run down the wire on your harness). I fabbed up a ground wire and ran it from the light cover screw to the frame. DO NOT rely on the magnet/light housing to self=ground-I tried it and it didn't work very well. Using a barrel connector on the positive side ensures that you won't short it out when not using the light but have your running lights on for whatever reason-I tuck the wires behind my license plate. Using a spade terminal on the negative side ensures that you won't plug the wires in bass-ackward since you're using different connectors on each wire.

Sal has a nice set-up going too-well done Sir!

Glad I could help,
Gary
Cal_Gary
1954 M37 W/W
MVPA Correspondent #28500
Carter
1SG
1SG

Post by Carter »

You both have done very inventive work and I will attempt to do a thorough workman like job as demonstrated by you both, thanks guys for such great ideas.
Carter
Life Member:
just me
1SG
1SG

Post by just me »

You could just plug into the trailer harness connector instead of splicing into your harness...
"It may be ugly, but at least it is slow!"
Carter
1SG
1SG

Post by Carter »

just me wrote:You could just plug into the trailer harness connector instead of splicing into your harness...

Great idea, never thought of that.
Carter
Life Member: