Back from Topeka!

Discuss all non M37 related issues here

Moderators: Cal_Gary, T. Highway, Monkey Man, robi

Cal_Gary

Back from Topeka!

Post by Cal_Gary »

Hello All! Hope everyone had a happy 4th of July! My days leading up could have been better so let me start at the sad beginning then let it all improve from there!

Tuesday a week ago I decided to drive my truck to work since my driver was in storage, swapping it for our RV which was at home, loaded up for the Topeka trip on Wednesday. I got $20 in gas and when I fired the truck back up, white smoke blew everywhere from the exhaust and the truck seemed to be missing. I limped the 1/2 mile to work, put in a 1/2 shift as planned then fired up the truck again to go home (after checking the fluids and a check under the rest of the engine compartment-nothing amiss). The truck started but again ran rough, and smoking all over. I thought that maybe the vendor put diesel into the underground fuel tank but decided to try to make it home since it was around 2am. It took 45 minutes to go the 8 miles (and remember I have those 10% grades to climb as well). By the time I hit the top I was in 1st gear and 4 mph, and now overheating to go with the miss in the engine. I parked on the street since the truck was so hot, hoping the cool air would let me get it started later in the day. No go-I had to rely on the starter to limp it in gear the 25 feet into the garage. This just sucks, and the timing couldn't have been worse since we were hitting the road = no time to check it out, other than to now find coolant in the oil!

Anyway, 2 days later we arrived in Topeka, late, and some of the MVPA guys were outside in the dark parking lot, just winding down from Day One. Among them was John Bizal of Midwest Military who I first met in Topeka in 2010. After renewing acquaintances I explained my dilema-John identified the problem as likely a blown head gasket which was a relief to me as I figured the engine gave it up, having last been rebuilt in 1969.

So, Veronica and I found our RV space (thanks here to Bert who got the space for us-more to follow on that meeting :) ). We got settled in for the night, then had to ride out a tornado warning at 2am, rockin' and rollin' in the RV, and the 24/7 Security guys stopped by to let us know where the shelter was at the Convention Center (about 100 yards away). We also have NOAA Weather radio in the RV and it alerted us to the situation. So that passed without further incident.

Friday we hit the convention floor-not much M37-wise, and only 2 or 3 M37s, although John had a pair of pristine front fenders for sale that would have made someone very happy. I did get a few odds and ends, but none of the priority stuff was there (front winch bumpers, wheel clips, etc., and I was also on the lookout for a head gasket, of course. It was also a pleasure to meet David Doyle and pick up a pair of his new Dodge books (which are still in the boxes and cellophane).

AND THEN THERE'S BERT! Veronica and I met Bert and his wife Cathy after they returned from the Ft Riley tour. We took some time getting acquainted then swapped some parts, pulled off a pesky steering wheel using my puller, then fired up our PRC 77s to do a commo check on mine (which works but doesn't receive on the high side). We shared some additional time before they left for the BBQ, and I must tell all that you will not meet a nicer couple in your travels! To Bert, hope you and Cathy enjoyed the visit as much as Veronica and I did-glad to call you our friends!

So, finally (because I know Bert will ask :) here are some pictures (I will start a post over in the Tech section when I get to work on the head gasket), and oh, for you Air Force guys, I did get a picture of a Strata Blue M38 that really pops-let me know if you want it posted:
Attachments
Topeka MVPA 2015.JPG
Topeka MVPA 2015.JPG (30.27 KiB) Viewed 870 times
54 DODGE M37-TOPEKA 2015.JPG
54 DODGE M37-TOPEKA 2015.JPG (30.1 KiB) Viewed 870 times
Bert is to my right-the tall guy!
Bert is to my right-the tall guy!
Bert and Gary-Topeka 2015.JPG (22.24 KiB) Viewed 870 times
Cal_Gary
1954 M37 W/W
MVPA Correspondent #28500
T. Highway

Re: Back from Topeka!

Post by T. Highway »

Hey Gary,

Glad to see that you made it back home after your vacation. The weather in Topeka was rather wild to say the least, we had water coming in on the floor of our hotel room and we were on the third floor. :shock: NOTE: It was blowing in thru the air conditioner.......not actual flooding. :lol:

The Fort Riley tour was something that I was looking forward to, but the wife was a little apprehensive. I must say though that she really enjoyed the truck convoy simulators. I must also mention that she did a great job driving both the MRAP and HMMWV. In the MRAP we made it 9+ minutes before we hit a roadside IED but made it all the way thru the 10 minute scenario in the HMMWV. There is a great museum at Fort Riley that we both enjoyed immensely. (I will post pictures here in the next couple of days)

Cathy and I had a great time chatting with Veronica and you Gary......just wished that we had more time. Next time take a highway that isn't all jammed up with road construction Gary. :mrgreen:
It was no big deal getting the camping spot lined up for you folks, helping friends out is how its supposed to work.
I know that Cathy and I look forward to the time that our paths cross again at one of these conventions or in TN. Great time / Great Friends!

Bert
1952 M37 W/W Rebuild @ 59% complete
Engine rebuild @ 95% complete
1985 M1009, 1990 M101A2, 2008 M116A3 Pioneer tool trailer
MVPA # 24265
NRA Life Member
NRA Cert. Personal Protection Pistol Instructor
NRA Cert. RSO
Class III RSO/KCR
Cal_Gary

Re: Back from Topeka!

Post by Cal_Gary »

Indeed! I didn't expect so much road construction either, and you certainly can't speed in Kansas-those patrol cars are everywhere!

We look forward to a longer visit next time! :)
Gary
Cal_Gary
1954 M37 W/W
MVPA Correspondent #28500