Promoting the hobby...

Discuss all non M37 related issues here

Moderators: Cal_Gary, T. Highway, Monkey Man, robi

Cal_Gary

Promoting the hobby...

Post by Cal_Gary »

Hi gang,
This weekend we got to run some errands in the M37 since we finally got the sod out of the back and finished laying it. I parked across the way so we could maneuver around the driveway unencumbered. One of the neighborhood kids came over as I was getting out-he's about 7 years old and asked what I was doing? I said I was getting out of the truck so he could get in! The incredulous smile was priceless-indeed, he climbed in, grabbed every lever he could move, was most fascinated opening the windshields and such, and had a blast. I should mention that I dialed off the kill-switch and turned the wheels against the curb so there were no concerns about moving the truck. Of course, a handful of our other neighborhood kids saw him, then ran over and piled into the cab with him-all girls I might add! They spent about 10 minutes at play then left for their respective homes.

I thought the day was complete, but no-when we stopped at Lowe's for more plants, tools and such, I waited outside while Veronica shopped. I saw a boy of about 10 headed my way from two rows across the parking lot with his mom in tow. He said "your truck is so cool"! His jaw dropped as I said "you think so, then go ahead and hop in!" He said "really?!" while his mom was beaming from ear to ear, already busting out her camera phone then telling me all about the '59 Chevy pickup her husband is restoring. We talked for a couple more minutes while she snapped some pictures of her son then thanked me for being so gracious in letting him check it out!

I thought about WVCharlie's post about the showing where they let the kids "touch the trucks" -these experiences on Saturday made all of my efforts to repair mine worthwhile-hopefully we can indeed get some youngsters involved if we give them a chance to experience the feel and smell of our trucks!

Thanks for the chance to ramble,
Gary
Cal_Gary
1954 M37 W/W
MVPA Correspondent #28500
52 M-42
SFC
SFC

Re: Promoting the hobby...

Post by 52 M-42 »

That the main reason I go to shows.... to let the kids play on the truck. I enjoy it, and they seem to also. :mrgreen:
just me
1SG
1SG

Post by just me »

Went to a car show last Fri eve. All of the do not touch signs on all the cars. Everybody there that wanted, got their picture leaning on, sitting in or hanging off of my M-37, Lukes GPW and my brothers M-38. The 3 crusty old MVs got a lot more attention than many of the 'no touch' cars.
"It may be ugly, but at least it is slow!"
ashyers
MSGT
MSGT

Post by ashyers »

I'm not sure how many Auto Shops are left at High Schools, but if you guys want to show off your trucks give them a try. We have had numerous visitors over the years and it's been great for the kids and the adults. Having spoken to kids who graduated over 10 years back, they remember things like this like it happened yesterday. A friend of mine brings his Chevy's from the '20's and '30's, we've had a few race cars, and a whole variety of other wacky stuff. It's big fun!

Andy
w30bob
1SG
1SG

Post by w30bob »

Aw heck Gary..........neither of my trucks run, but I'm always sitting in 'em moving all the knobs and levers and having a good time too!!

Now if I could just teach the girlfriend how to drive the tractor..................she could pull me around the pasture!!

We're all little kids...........and that's a good thing!

:mrgreen:

bob
Carter
1SG
1SG

Post by Carter »

w30bob wrote:Now if I could just teach the girlfriend how to drive the tractor..................she could pull me around the pasture!!bob
Good one Bob :D :D :D
Carter
Life Member:
Delta, Peach Bottom Fish & Game Assn.