Discuss all non M37 related issues here

Moderators: Cal_Gary, T. Highway, Monkey Man, robi

w30bob
1SG
1SG

So what did you think of "Fury"?

Post by w30bob »

Hi Guys,

It's been out there a while now and available on DVD and Blu-Ray.....so what do you guys think of the movie? I read the most recent critique of it in this month's Supply Line and I thought the author was a little hard on the film.......but he brought up some good points. It was great to see all those restored WW2 vehicles in action, in my opinion. A couple of things I thought were "wrong" or "stupid" or whatever you want to call it were;

- the intact piece of the former 30 cal gunner's face in the tank that Norman had to clean up.....I don't think it would have stayed intact like that if the guy's head got all shot up.

- they didn't properly portray how cramped it is inside a tank. I've been in a Sherman and you can barely move........they made it look like there was tons of space in there...and there isn't.

- in the Tiger scene they outran the Tiger's turret rotation to shoot it in the ass. Why didn't the Tiger just pivot on it's tracks instead of just sitting there trying to catch the Sherman with the turret traverse? Pretty silly.

- in the final fight with the SS troops.....why did they leave the 30 cal ammo OUTSIDE the tank when they knew they were going to be over run with German soldiers.......wouldn't you have brought all your ammo INSIDE the tank before the attack? Also a little hard to believe 300 German troops armed with shaped charge panzerfausts had such a hard time defeating one tank.

That being said..........I've watched it twice so far and will probably watch it a few more times. No movie is ever perfect, but it did what it was intended to do....it entertained!!

Let me know what you think.

regards,
bob
Cal_Gary

Re: So what did you think of "Fury"?

Post by Cal_Gary »

Hi Bob,
I thought the movie was "so-so"-I've seen much better, and much worse. I didn't care for the tank crew much, especially during the egg lunch. I also look for authenticity and thought they did the Sherman A3E8 pretty well, and understand it was loaned by an MVPA member.

Side fact-I have a picture of Veronica leaning against that exact Tiger tank from 20 years ago when it was still on display at Aberdeen Proving Ground, MD. Seeing it in the movie does not do justice to how big that tank is-the tracks are at least 2 feet wide, and dwarfs Veronica in the photo. I'll see if she can scan that photo so I can post it here.
Gary
Cal_Gary
1954 M37 W/W
MVPA Correspondent #28500
HingsingM37
1SG
1SG

Re: So what did you think of "Fury"?

Post by HingsingM37 »

I have not seen it yet but your comment Bob about the space issue reminds me of the old "Twelve O Clock High" show in the 60's were the B17 cockpit looked 10 feet wide :lol:
Sounds like they at least used the correct vehicles unlike some gems from the 60's and 70's (Battle of the Bulge, Patton)where both sides had M60 tanks painted different colors. I will have to check out Fury soon. At least somebody took the time to make a WWII film. :wink:
David
HingsingM37
1958 M37B1
1968 M101A1 Trailer
MVPA# 33078

"Do Not Take Counsel of Your Fears"
General George S. Patton Jr.

"Those who pound their guns into plows, will plow for those who do not".