Car Show

Talk about your truck here

Moderators: Cal_Gary, T. Highway, Monkey Man, robi

topellis
CPL
CPL

Car Show

Post by topellis »

I haven't been around much lately but had to share my experience at a local car show. I had been to one military vehicle show but I was just one of many mil trucks there but recently went to a "Car Show" and left before the awards presentation to beat the crowd. There were around 430 vehicles of all types there. I received a call the next day from one of our club officers that he had something for me. I couldn't believe the truck had won something. There were some high quality show vehicles there. I saw how they totally dust them and spot shine them when they get them in position. I pulled up, threw out my chair and sat around telling stories with a few fellow MV folks.
I hope I can do the pic thing right... I realize you can't read the trophy but it was for "Best Truck". It was a total surprise to me as there were some amazing looking vehicles there.
Attachments
Marks M37 Sept 2014.jpg
Marks M37 Sept 2014.jpg (118.41 KiB) Viewed 1671 times
Mark Ellis
1953 M37 WOW
1967 M101A1
NRA Life Member
USMC Retired
T. Highway

Re: Car Show

Post by T. Highway »

Mark,

Excellent job! The truck looks very nice.

Bert
1952 M37 W/W Rebuild @ 59% complete
Engine rebuild @ 95% complete
1985 M1009, 1990 M101A2, 2008 M116A3 Pioneer tool trailer
MVPA # 24265
NRA Life Member
NRA Cert. Personal Protection Pistol Instructor
NRA Cert. RSO
Class III RSO/KCR
garyarf

Post by garyarf »

What a great story. I know that wherever I take my MV it creates a crowd. Congrats on the award your truck looks GREAT
jim lee
SSGT
SSGT

Post by jim lee »

I took mine to a antique machinery show, with cars. Just a couple weeks ago. First time for me. Did the same thing, set out a chair ad just chatted. I was amazed the amount of people that came to look. And how many remembered driving them in the army.

-jim lee
Cal_Gary

Post by Cal_Gary »

Congratulations Mark-looks great!
Gary
Cal_Gary
1954 M37 W/W
MVPA Correspondent #28500
Carter
1SG
1SG

Post by Carter »

Having that great looking truck and winning the best truck award made you proud I am sure, congrats Mark. :D
Carter
Life Member:
Delta, Peach Bottom Fish & Game Assn.
HingsingM37
1SG
1SG

Post by HingsingM37 »

Congrats! :mrgreen: :)
David
HingsingM37
1958 M37B1
1968 M101A1 Trailer
MVPA# 33078

"Do Not Take Counsel of Your Fears"
General George S. Patton Jr.

"Those who pound their guns into plows, will plow for those who do not".
topellis
CPL
CPL

Post by topellis »

Thanks guys, and yes Carter I was extremely proud... I wish I would have stayed for the awards show..lol. My truck has been a "rolling restoration" it wouldn't hold a candle to a true off frame resto but none of those guys showed up that day. I was very appreciative. It may never win another but it did win one. When I look at it I see all the little things I need to take care of but just haven't had the time. It has taken me 11 years of piddling with it to get it to this point. It was rough when I got it but had very little rust and hadn't been "bubba-ized". I'll try to post a pic of it when I got it. I did convert it to a Marine truck a few years ago. I took that liberty since I retired from the Corps.
Thanks again,
Mark
Attachments
m37rescu4.JPG
m37rescu4.JPG (165.65 KiB) Viewed 1526 times
Mark Ellis
1953 M37 WOW
1967 M101A1
NRA Life Member
USMC Retired
Jim Branson
PFC
PFC

Post by Jim Branson »

Truck looks great Mark! I'm guessing that's the same truck I saw in Georgia at your house years ago. Your a little over an hour away from me now, look me up if you're ever in the neighborhood.

Jim
1951 M37 W/W
1961 M201B1 W/W
MVPA #31454
I was Chrysler when Chrysler wasn't cool!
topellis
CPL
CPL

Post by topellis »

Hello Jim,
Good to hear from you, thanks and I will do that. Yes that is one of the two trucks I had plus the 201 I sold you. I'm glad you saved that truck. I almost took all the winch stuff off of it and just let it set. Did you look at those rear rims that were on on that truck? I guess it was the forestry service that had cut and welded two rims together to make the rim wider. At least that is what it looked like to me. The neighbors cat had two or three litters in one of those tool boxes. lol. I sold that truck to you and the other to Cabell and kept my original truck and trailer.
Maybe we can meet up when the weather breaks some. I lived here back in the 90's and had forgotten how hot and rainy it is here.

Hope to see you soon.
Mark
Mark Ellis
1953 M37 WOW
1967 M101A1
NRA Life Member
USMC Retired
Jim Branson
PFC
PFC

Post by Jim Branson »

Hi Mark, let's get together sometime. I would love for you to meet my son, he has shown a lot of interest in joining the Marines after high school. I'll bet he could learn a lot from someone who has been there. I never paid to much attention to those rims knowing they weren't going to stay on the truck. As far as the hot, humid florida weather, I'm in the a/c business so the worse it is, the better!

Jim
1951 M37 W/W
1961 M201B1 W/W
MVPA #31454
I was Chrysler when Chrysler wasn't cool!
topellis
CPL
CPL

Post by topellis »

Jim,
Sounds good. I'll pm you my phone and we can find a date that will work. You have job security in my opinion! Lol
Talk to you soon.
Mark
Mark Ellis
1953 M37 WOW
1967 M101A1
NRA Life Member
USMC Retired