Paint mask question

Discuss fixes, upgrades and modifications to your M37

Moderators: Cal_Gary, T. Highway, Monkey Man, robi

dman
PFC
PFC

Paint mask question

Post by dman »

I purchased the paint masks from Rick Larsen and am not sure what kind of white paint to use. I painted the truck OD semi gloss, threfore should I use a semi gloss or flat white paint for the masks? Also I was told that NAPA white paint works nice, well I went to NAPA and there were several choices. Can you guys make a specific recommendation for me on the type/part number that is best to use? Thanks
knattrass
SFC
SFC

Post by knattrass »

d - did you buy the standard m37 kit from rick? I got to make the same purchase and wondered if you needed extra items - Keith
Lifer
1SG
1SG

Post by Lifer »

Give Rick a shout. I'm sure he will recommend something for you. As for the type of paint, since the truck is semi-gloss, the markings should also be semi-gloss.
"PER ARDUA AD ITER"
Tom @ Snake River
SSGT
SSGT

Post by Tom @ Snake River »

In don't think there is such a things as NAPA flat white. It was formulated by Martin Senyour. They now carry DupliColor which some say not to use. But I have had no problems. Just stay on the job and get the mask off in the proper time. I have done about a dozen outfits with Ricks products. Tom
www.snakeriver4x4.com
M-37's - WC-51 - M-29C - WC-25 cc - CCKW
M-274 - M-101 - G-527 Water Buffalo
G-7117 Chevy
Rick C
SSGT
SSGT

Post by Rick C »

I used NAPA white when I did my M37 but they no longer stock it. I used Rustoleum flat white on teh M38 and it worked great. Just remember....don't try to cover the white in one pass....a few light ones will prevent runs and help when you remove the masks.
Rick
Gerry
MSGT
MSGT

Post by Gerry »

I havent tried it yet but I was told to spray a coat of od first to help seal of the masks so the white wont try to seep underneath.
Gerry
Tom @ Snake River
SSGT
SSGT

Post by Tom @ Snake River »

Gerry,
Who in the heck told you that :roll:
Of couse the best way to prevent paint creeping under the mask is to make sure that the edges are sealed down really well.
Make light coats of paint as so the paint is not standing "wet".
Also the age of the paint mask or stencil will have an effect. They tend to dry with age. I am guilty of this, but if you store the masks for a period of time, keep them laying flat with some weight on top. Tom
www.snakeriver4x4.com
M-37's - WC-51 - M-29C - WC-25 cc - CCKW
M-274 - M-101 - G-527 Water Buffalo
G-7117 Chevy
refit1701
1SG
1SG

Post by refit1701 »

Sealing with the base coat is a common practice in modeling. If you have an irregular surface which is being masked, it can help.

I wouldn't think you need to do that on a 1/1 scale M37.

From looking at original truck stenciling, few are perfect. Many have overspray around all the letters, making them blurry.

As it is classic car restorations, you can make things too perfect. One of the reasons I was drawn to this hobby is that these trucks or jeeps or what have you are rarely perfect. Not like the Mustang hobby, which I have done for years.
-John
Member of Dixie Division MVC

1953 USAF M37 wow, restored
1962 M151 Ford Production, on the rotisserie now
1953 USMC M37 w/w -in storage
1942 M6 Bomb Service Truck (sold to UK collector)
1967 M116A1 Pioneer Trailer
1968 M101A1 Trailer
S-89 Comm box
dman
PFC
PFC

Paint mask question

Post by dman »

Just an FYI I spoke with Rick this morning (great guy) and he told me to use Rustoleum Flat white and spray on several light coats. Thanks I appreciate all of your advice.