wireing a 53 m37

Talk about your truck here

Moderators: Cal_Gary, T. Highway, Monkey Man, robi

macibell111
CPL
CPL

wireing a 53 m37

Post by macibell111 »

I am considering buying the wire harness for my m37 and want to install it myself ,don't know a lot about wiring but have access to original 37s ,had a guy want to charge 3,500.00 to 4,000.00 to make a new one from scratch,but he really knows what he is doing he will make it up to date and do a professional job but if I can do it myself,i could get my brakes and tires done too,has anyone put one of those kits with all the original douglas connectors in ,I am told it is easy.just don't want to put 4 grand in the wiring if I don't need too,any suggestionsthanks Jack,
snowdad
SGT
SGT

Re: wireing a 53 m37

Post by snowdad »

No offense to your friend, but that is an astronomical amount for a wiring harness job. You can get a professional harness for under $1,000. I plan on building my own.
Phillip
tbone1004
SSGT
SSGT

Post by tbone1004 »

Vintage Wiring of Maine.
http://www.vintagewiringofmaine.com/Home.html
Call them and tell them exactly what you want.

$4k is insane for the minimal amount of wiring that goes on in an M37. No computers to contend with, minimal electrical points, there just isn't that much wire in there. $1k is what I hear those guys are charging, which is understandable for a one off harness. Yeah they have templates to go off of, but each one is hand made and there is no mass production, so it's a reasonable number. They will use whatever connectors you specify, put in as many extra circuits as you want, run blinkers and if you want a 7 pin or a NATO trailer plug they'll do that too.
macibell111
CPL
CPL

Post by macibell111 »

yah,I think I will go that route with VWoM . there seems to be a lot of help out there if I get in a pickle....thanks for the input everybody..
monkeymissile
SSGT
SSGT

Post by monkeymissile »

Vintage made me a great one with all sorts of modifications for my truck and it was <$1000. Great support afterwards as well.
1953 Dodge M43

Fail often to succeed sooner
m37jarhead
SFC
SFC

Post by m37jarhead »

monkeymissile wrote:Vintage made me a great one with all sorts of modifications for my truck and it was <$1000. Great support afterwards as well.

Yep.... same here. Vintage supplied both the front and rear harness made to order.
Don't forget to ask about special wiring that you may need, i.e. turn signals, heater,
electric fuel pump, electric windshield wipers, trailer light connection, license plate light,
four wire spider or five wire spider and anything else that comes to mind.
Vintage is not the cheapest but probably the best with the least hassle.
Jerry
Member: Arizona Military Vehicle Collector's Club, Treasurer.
Past Pres
Member: MVPA #26600
Member: NRA
‘43 GPW, '53 M37 W/W, ‘54 M170 Field Ambulance,
59 M43, '76 M151A2, '86 CUCV,
'43 GPW, 416 & 101 trailers.