Discuss fixes, upgrades and modifications to your M37

Moderators: Cal_Gary, T. Highway, Monkey Man, robi

w30bob
1SG
1SG

Latest Master Cylinder Info

Post by w30bob »

Hi Guys,

I've been digging around trying to find the latest and greatest info on what's available for the M37 in regards to master cylinders. Just in case anyone is interested here's what I've found out.....

Three MCs have been discussed in the past for M37s, they are:

NAPA UP 544
Raybestos MC544
Wagner F544

Looks like the NAPA UP 544 part number has changed to NMC M544. www.napaonline can't find that number, but if you Google it a NAPA page comes up describing it. I couldn't find a pic of this MC, but I believe it is a NAPA re-boxed Raybestos MC544.

Raybestos MC544 is showing up as discontinued in some places. Not sure if it's true or not, I see Amazon still sells them.

The Wagner F544 is showing up as discontinued and/or not available via the normal auto parts vendors online. Older posts on here indicate Charles sells these at his shop, so maybe he can comment on availability.

I believe both the Raybestos (and NAPA) and Wagner are made in USA parts......or were at one time from pics I've seen of the boxes they came in. Neither has the correct top plate with the vent provision so you need to swap over your original top plate.

And then I found some mention of a newer MC made by a brand call STAR. It's implied it's made overseas, some say it's good, others not so much. I assume this is the black MC with the correct top plate (for the vent) that most of the MV parts guys are selling for $80. Just couldn't find any more info than that.

So.......If anyone has better or more info on this stuff please post. Seems the brake system on the M is a weak link and we're going to need to keep up to speed on where to get brake parts. If what I've found so far is true it looks like US made master cylinders are going the way of the dinosaur. Not saying that's good or bad.....just saying.

regards,
bob
jimmy_stikx
SGT
SGT

Re: Latest Master Cylinder Info

Post by jimmy_stikx »

I know Raybestos makes a rebuild for the original single M/C. I might still have the box for it.

There's a reason I went to the dual M/C from speedway. Better braking power, and a corvette m/c rebuild kit will cover it.
pwrwagonfire
SSGT
SSGT

Post by pwrwagonfire »

Thanks for the info!

I purchased a Wagner F544 from Charles in 2009, was a quick and easy install

Like jimmy_stikx said here, I have been promoting the duel MC conversion for firetrucks or trucks with heavy loads...
xd2200
PVT
PVT

Post by xd2200 »

Hey jimmy_stikx - what is the "dual M/C from speedway"? Is it a simple bolt-in replacement for the stock single M/C?
THANKS
jimmy_stikx
SGT
SGT

Post by jimmy_stikx »

Not a simple bolt in, but all I had to do was drill two new holes in the support after mocking thins up to make sure the plunger would line up. Drilled the holes, took the two bolts from the old one bolt it on, bled the lines, and has been awesome since, residuals will go in once either a disc conversion is done up front, or an axle swap is done.
xd2200
PVT
PVT

Post by xd2200 »

Sounds good - what is the part number & manufacturer for the master cylinder?

THANKS