What the Torque?

Discuss fixes, upgrades and modifications to your M37

Moderators: Cal_Gary, T. Highway, Monkey Man, robi

jimmy_stikx
SGT
SGT

What the Torque?

Post by jimmy_stikx »

Does anyone know the torque limits for the stock axles?

I might be able to work a deal out with my dad about a small block chevy that's mildly hotrodded to move from his Camaro to the M. Just want to know if I need to prep for a swap, or if they hold up to it.
RMS
MSGT
MSGT

Re: What the Torque?

Post by RMS »

its all relative. some guys with stock 230s complain the axles snap like twigs and other guys running diesels with enough torque to jump start a planet say they have never broken an axle. is axle breakage due to torque or improper setup ? or is it how one operates the truck ? I feel I pound the shat out of my truck but I have yet to break an axle with my 251. is it sloppy clutch action and shock loads that kill the axle? has any one with an automatic broken an axle? I like crawling and the low down torque that the flat head offers and my concern with a small block is that usually they are camed out which is all wrong for the gearing in a m37. I went wheeling with a guy who had a built 360 in his m43 and at every obstacle the 360 flashed out at low rpms or would spin a wheel at high rpms. the stock flatty is governed to 3400 rpm so one would think that it would be a good thing to install a motor that would spin to 8000, but apparently the third member with 5.83s will not last long at 5000.
.............................. use it ...............
jimmy_stikx
SGT
SGT

Re: What the Torque?

Post by jimmy_stikx »

Yeah, I'm looking for light wheeling and such. I do need to relearn how to offroad with a stick though a bit.

Is there a set torque spec though?

I know, the hotrodder is showing....