Discuss fixes, upgrades and modifications to your M37

Moderators: Cal_Gary, T. Highway, Monkey Man, robi

w30bob
1SG
1SG

Packard to Douglas Connector Change Question

Post by w30bob »

Hi Guys,

I just recieved a new fuel tank sender from Rapco. They had it listed by part number as the earlier Douglas connector sender, which I need, but turns out it has a packard connector on it. Not their fault totally, as I should have clicked on the part for the details and not simply relied on the part number. When I just clicked on it says "rubber connector".......so I'll take the boot in the butt for this one.

But looking at it a bit closer the rubber boot is simply held on by a nut at the bottom of the center pin. I don't see any reason why I can't remove the nut and rubber boot and replace it with a Douglas shell. I'd have to tack the shell in a few places where it meets the sender body.....but other than that I don't see any problems. Am I oversimplifying this? Has anyone ever changed a Packard connector to a Douglas?

thanks,
bob
Carter
1SG
1SG

Re: Packard to Douglas Connector Change Question

Post by Carter »

I have changed connectors on wires and it looks like it would be possible Bob although I have never tried to do it. The Douglas shell on this one seems to be welded to the unit but I would try something like JB Weld to avoid the heat damaging the sender.

Carter
Life Member:
Delta, Peach Bottom Fish & Game Assn.
w30bob
1SG
1SG

Post by w30bob »

Hi Carter,

Thanks for the info (as usual). I took a look at the Douglas connector on my tank (same as your pic) and saw that it wasn't a normal metal shell, but the cylinder in your pic. I've got another tank that's in bad shape that has what is probably a junk sender in it. I'm thinking the easiest thing to do would be to take off that Douglas cylinder, weld a flat end to it, and then drill a hole in it to fit over the pin on the new sender. The pin is threaded on the new sender for a washer and nut to hold the rubber boot to the sender body. So if I put an end on the Douglas cylinder and drill a hole I can simply drop it over the pin and reinstall the nut and washer....avoiding any welding on the sender.

Thanks for the pics.....I haven't dealt with Packard connectors and didn't know how they stopped the rubber boot from being pulled off the wire. The little "C" clip in your picture answers that question. Great stuff.

thanks,
bob
w30bob
1SG
1SG

Post by w30bob »

Carter,

Actually.....looking at your second pic it looks like the cylindrical shell is soldered to the sender housing. I'll have to check mine later. If soldering is strong enough that might be an even simplier solution.

thanks,
bob
Carter
1SG
1SG

Post by Carter »

w30bob wrote:Carter,

Actually.....looking at your second pic it looks like the cylindrical shell is soldered to the sender housing. I'll have to check mine later. If soldering is strong enough that might be an even simplier solution.

thanks,
bob
Be careful applying heat, might take a lot to get that steel case warm enough to melt solder and you don't want to burn up the new sender's coil.
Carter
Life Member:
Delta, Peach Bottom Fish & Game Assn.
w30bob
1SG
1SG

Post by w30bob »

Roger that....will proceed with caution!!

thanks,
bob
WarrenD
SSGT
SSGT

Post by WarrenD »

Maybe easier to return that one and get the proper one from John at Midwest (or other M37 parts supplier).
w30bob
1SG
1SG

Post by w30bob »

Yeah Warren......that would be the smartest thing to do......but I'm not known to be very smart at times. I don't like returning things when I screwed it up.....if they did then I wouldn't have a problem. Teaches me to be more careful next time.....although that doesn't seem to be working real well.

I'll look into their return policy and see what's what. Oh....the other reason is I'm a cheapskate. The Packard connector senders are a LOT cheaper than the older Douglas connector senders. I thought I was getting a Douglas sender for a Packard price. You know what they say about things seeming too good to be true......... :mrgreen:

Have a good one,
bob
nortonscustoms
PVT
PVT

Post by nortonscustoms »

Bob, I would just change your sending unit lead wire to a Packard style. That's what I did with mine. Think Packard connector was under $2.00 from Saturn Surplus. Much cheaper than buying a Douglas unit or buying two Packard units if something goes wrong trying to convert it.
k8icu
1SG
1SG

Post by k8icu »

I agree with Norton on this one. And changing the douglas to the packard is rather easy.
M37s are HMMWV in my world!
ODUSAOK
PVT
PVT

Post by ODUSAOK »

Hey Folks,
Well it's been a week since this was posted,and I hope Bob is getting good gauge readings by now,but I'll chime in in case you're still thinking about it.I've been through a few harnesses in the past year on mine and a friends truck,and I've had the old meets new situation a number of times.You simply remove all Douglas components down to the crimp connector and install the Packard items onto it.Done.
As an aside,I ended up with a front harness that was a bit different.It has Packard components inside the Douglas shells. I guess it's a transitional harness but it is listed in the parts book.That was a first for me,but then again life is full of firsts.I enjoyed that one though.
Hope all goes along sucessfully,Chris.