Fording valve in the PCV circuit. Lever position?

Discuss fixes, upgrades and modifications to your M37

Moderators: Cal_Gary, T. Highway, Monkey Man, robi

ZGjethro
SFC
SFC

Fording valve in the PCV circuit. Lever position?

Post by ZGjethro »

I hope you guys can help me out here. I have probably five manuals of different systems on the truck, but I can only find the drive train one. Everything is misplaced due to some construction here. My problem is that I was out fiddling with the truck and I rotated the valve in the crank case ventilation system by hand, and I cannot remember what position it was in. There is no cable attached to it, so I do not know which is normal driving position and which is the fording position. I would like to drive the truck to work, and possibly in the July 4th parade, but I do not want to overpressure my crank case and blow oil out all the seals. Is the valve closed when the lever is perpendicular to the horizontal vent line (vertical), or the opposite?
DJ
SSGT
SSGT

Re: Fording valve in the PCV circuit. Lever position?

Post by DJ »

I would disconnect the valve and check which way is open. Not all valves and handles will neccesarily be the same. For peace of mind I would check the vavle.
ZGjethro
SFC
SFC

Post by ZGjethro »

Thanks. I'll pull it out tomorrow for a quick check. I searched for this here and saw some photos of trucks with no valve where I have mine. Would that be a later alteration, or were they made without fording provisions also?
ZGjethro
SFC
SFC

Post by ZGjethro »

valve was parallel to the handle.
ODUSAOK
PVT
PVT

Post by ODUSAOK »

Greetings,These valves are of the ball type,(generally considered superior to the gate and stem type by the way),and every one I have ever come across,and that's literally hundreds,have a keyed handle/ lever to ball stem so that the handle/lever position follows flow,as your look-see varified.Going-with-flow handle position=open, and vice versa.In answer to your question about application,TM 9-8030 dated May 1955 has a list of "Design Changes.b. Items Deleted. (1)The carburetor air cleaner shroud,crankcase ventilation shutoff valves and controls,throttle fording plate,and crankcase ventilation valve dual control plate were discontinued on all models starting with engine No. T245-34268." As to M/D/Y I couldn't say exactly when that occured,but during or after the first series based on the publication date of the TM.First series production ended I believe in July of 1954,this month 58 years ago.Don't forget to service the PCV system for blockage and the PCV valve itself for sticking/blocking occasionally. Enjoy that truck,Chris.