Getting ready for hibernation (1 of 2)

Talk about your truck here

Moderators: Cal_Gary, T. Highway, Monkey Man, robi

N1VSM
SSGT
SSGT

Getting ready for hibernation (1 of 2)

Post by N1VSM »

Ok, I know it's a silly time of year to put my truck into storage with the fun snow season coming (especially in my neck of the boonies), but my better 2/3 says that she wants the garage space back (go figure!). So since I like camping - but not for 5 months straight - how should I prep my rig for storage? I know to drain the gas & run it dry - anything else?
You can trust your mother, but you can't trust your ground.
Larry S
PVT
PVT

Post by Larry S »

Take the battries out and put them someplace so they won't freeze.
Larry S
1953 m37 cdn
1953 m43
1973 m342 a2(duece dump)
pfrederi
CPL
CPL

Post by pfrederi »

How old is your anti freeze?? You may want to add some rust inhibitor...that is the component of antifreeze that gets used up..

Change the oil (water and contaminants in dirty oil plus sitting = corrosion) Doesn't hurt to squirt a little 30w in each spark plug hole crank the engine 1-2 times then put the plugs back in.

Putting it on block will avoid flat spots on the tires. Also if you are storing it on dirt you may want to consider putting down plastic/tarp on the ground. Moisture released by the ground will condense on the cold metal under sides of the truck = rust
Paul f
DDoyle
PVT
PVT

Post by DDoyle »

Check the gear oil - I own a M35A2 with a burst transmission housing. Seems water entered (condensed???) while it belonged to a previous owner - and then it froze. Easy to check, not easy to fix.

Regards,
David Doyle