Talk about your truck here

Moderators: Cal_Gary, T. Highway, Monkey Man, robi

rwkehler
PVT
PVT

How do i find the history of my truck?

Post by rwkehler »

Hello,
I recently bought this truck (see attachment).
and all i can find out is that it's a
1954 Dodge M43 Air Force Ambulance
Ser:80259260
and it was bought from a surplus sale at Camp Ripley in 1976.
I know from then but not before 76.

Wondering if you could help?
Thank you.
Richard
cuz
1SG
1SG

Re: How do i find the history of my truck?

Post by cuz »

The services did not release vehicle maintenance and assignment records with their surplus wheeled vehicles. Those records were destroyed once the vehicle was declared surplus to that service's needs. So that leaves you very few options for determining a vehicle's military history besides what data plates and memorabilia you found on the truck.

1-Carefully remove paint layers while looking carefully for remnants of numbers, letters and symbols that can provide historical info. These are usually found on bumpers, bumperettes, cowl and rear quarter side panels, windshield metal skins and below door openings or on doors. Carefully record and photograph each that you find and record the sequence in which they were found (layer) and the color of paint just under the letter/number/symbol.

2-If you can ascertain for certain your vehicle's registration number usually found on the hood sides or doors then a second option is to look thru the thousands of period photos out there for that registration number.
Wes K
wsknettl@centurytel.net

54 M37, 66 M101, 45MB, 51 M38, 60 CJ5, 46 T3-C
MVPA 22099

Disclaimer: Any data posted is for general info only and may not be M37 specific or meet with the approval of some esteemed gurus.