Building a retro M37

Build and Restoration Threads Belong Here

Moderators: Cal_Gary, T. Highway, Monkey Man, robi

retiredguy
SGT
SGT

Re: Building a retro M37

Post by retiredguy »

I agree with that fact that the push button shifters' buttons stick. Also the push buttons had a lever to engage park. That one used 2 cables. The trans would have to be one to accept it. I have a 518 trans that has electric overdrive so I can use the one cable 3 position shifter. I have an overdrive off button somewhere on the dash just like the 1992 Ddodge had. I personally prefer this shifter's look even though it may seem odd in a M37. It is still a "Dodge" part. I am going to brainstorm a defroster system next. I'll try to make a neat duct to each side. I did not like the awfull aftermarket one it had. here is a pic of the original dash.

Last edited by retiredguy on Thu Apr 26, 2018 5:35 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Don't procrasinate! Do it now!
Wayne64
SSGT
SSGT

Post by Wayne64 »

Sure wish I could reverse time a bit. I had two (NEW) sets of seats which were second row seats from high end Vans. I originally got them for the 64 Ford I was building but went a different path. Only recently I sold them at a big loss. I never thought about the M37 though, Duh? Any way a good place to find seats like those in this thread is at a business that takes brand new vans and converts them to wheel chair access. The second row gets removed and I paid $150 for both pair. BTW, great build you have going!
MY Life Past and Present
http://crayonmedia.com/wayne/
retiredguy
SGT
SGT

Post by retiredguy »

So I think I'm done the defrosters. Very time consuming! Made it so I can unbolt the defroster manifold if needed. there will be a rubber gasket in behind the defroster and the dash. The ducts are welded to the dash and I can hook up a 2" duct hose to them. I think I'll go with a Hurricane heater system with cable contols. Trying to keep things as mechanical as possible. (exept for the gages. of course) here are some pics. I do have room beside the glove box and the cold air scoop. If needed I will french out the glove box a little.

Last edited by retiredguy on Thu Apr 26, 2018 5:37 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Master Yota
MSGT
MSGT

Post by Master Yota »

Nice work!

Thats one of the nicest defrost tubes I've seen yet. Kudo's! :mrgreen:
Ray
1953 CDN. M37
1954 CDN. M152
Joe
CPL
CPL

Post by Joe »

Lifer wrote:Dodge used that dash-mounted shifter on a lot of vehicles...especially the A-series pickups/vans and on all Dodge-powered motorhomes. It takes a little getting used to, but it's really quite convenient once you adapt yourself to it. I have to admit that it looks a little strange on an M37 dash, though. (I wouldn't want one of the push-button selectors, myself. Too many problems with sticking, kinked, or frayed cables.)
I used a used a Plymouth push button shifter in my 1952 MD TD that I stuffed the Mopar 340 into. It worked beautifully and I got a lot of comments on it. I put a manual shift kit in the 737 and it was fun just to punch the buttons, stand on the throttle and GO!
retiredguy
SGT
SGT

Post by retiredguy »

Well, I finished a couple of more items. I have now re-originzed the dash. I have made the gage cluster bigger and added a few more gages. A tach, boost meter, pyro and tranny temp. To the left I will have all the switches. They will be all lever style twist switches, just tlike the stock switches. No ign key switch just a lever switch with a push button starter swith. All others wiper, running lights, headlights etc etc.... will be the same style as the ign switch (twist lever) My personal touch I thought. I have also mounted the brake pedal. Everthing came out of a Frito Lay cube van. I kinda wanted hyra boost for the power brake because I have no vacuum pump on the truck. Because the hyraboost and the master cylinder was so long I had to move everthing off to the right and reconfigure the pedal setup under the dash do fit my feet. All in all it all worked out. I think I found a place for the battery, out of sight, inside the left frame just behind the tranny cross member. the spot looks good but could be tough to lift the battery in and out of there. Of couse there will be a remote boost station incase the battery goes dead. Oh ya, re configured the old convoy lights into my park/signal lights with amber bulbs. What i couldn't figure was why the square part ant he lower end of the light was blocked off, still with a bulb behind it. Makes the bulb useless. dunno.. just rambling......

here are some pics.

modified frito lay bracket.

my own bracket from dash to pedal bracket.

the power unit

completed dash

Parts installed. pedal is very comfortable as to position.

Next is the park brake and the throttle pedal.
Last edited by retiredguy on Thu Apr 26, 2018 5:39 pm, edited 2 times in total.
M37UK
SSGT
SSGT

Post by M37UK »

retiredguy wrote:Well, I finished a couple of more items. I have now re-originzed the dash. I have made the gage cluster bigger and added a few more gages. A tach, boost meter, pyro and tranny temp. To the left I will have all the switches. They will be all lever style twist switches, just tlike the stock switches. No ign key switch just a lever switch with a push button starter swith. All others wiper, running lights, headlights etc etc.... will be the same style as the ign switch (twist lever) My personal touch I thought. I have also mounted the brake pedal. Everthing came out of a Frito Lay cube van. I kinda wanted hyra boost for the power brake because I have no vacuum pump on the truck. Because the hyraboost and the master cylinder was so long I had to move everthing off to the right and reconfigure the pedal setup under the dash do fit my feet. All in all it all worked out. I think I found a place for the battery, out of sight, inside the left frame just behind the tranny cross member. the spot looks good but could be tough to lift the battery in and out of there. Of couse there will be a remote boost station incase the battery goes dead. Oh ya, re configured the old convoy lights into my park/signal lights with amber bulbs. What i couldn't figure was why the square part ant he lower end of the light was blocked off, still with a bulb behind it. Makes the bulb useless. dunno.. just rambling......

LOL, I like the printed instrument cluster.... :D
Stu

1952 Dodge M37 with 1952 M101 Trailer
MVT UK
SMVG Scotland
retiredguy
SGT
SGT

Post by retiredguy »

yes, I know, paper gages..... I wanted to see what fit and what they looked like without buying them and THEN finding out they won't fit. I put the seat in and looked to see if they would be too far away to read them. But all seems good so now i know what to get and I know I can read the numbers on them.
Brett
SSGT
SSGT

Post by Brett »

Looking good guy. On the battery box you may want to look for a Ford E-series van with a diesel. They had the 2nd battery mounted to the pass side frame rail in a nice box that keeps it relatively protected.

Brett
retiredguy
SGT
SGT

Post by retiredguy »

I thought of mounting it on the outside of the frame but then you could see it. I wanted it hidden. I will look into the Ford van box though. Thanks.
Master Yota
MSGT
MSGT

Post by Master Yota »

Looking good!
Ray
1953 CDN. M37
1954 CDN. M152
SOTVEN
SFC
SFC

Post by SOTVEN »

WOW. REALLY CRAFTY WITH METALWORK MY FRIEND. KEEP IT THE GOOD WORK :D
LIFE IS SHORT AND ENDS UNEXPECTEDLY. MAKE EVERY MOMENT WORTH REMEMBERING.
retiredguy
SGT
SGT

Post by retiredguy »

And .... all the pedals are mocked up.
Last edited by retiredguy on Thu Apr 26, 2018 5:41 pm, edited 2 times in total.
W_A_Watson_II
SFC
SFC

Post by W_A_Watson_II »

Looking Good!
Thanks,
Will
1946 Dodge Power Wagon
1953 Dodge M37 - "Frankenstein"
My 1953 Dodge M37 WEB Site
retiredguy
SGT
SGT

Post by retiredguy »

slow but sure.... the steering column is mocked up..

gotta put the seat in and double check distance.

next to mock up the heater

Last edited by retiredguy on Thu Apr 26, 2018 5:42 pm, edited 2 times in total.