Building a retro M37

Build and Restoration Threads Belong Here

Moderators: Cal_Gary, T. Highway, Monkey Man, robi

retiredguy
SGT
SGT

Re: Building a retro M37

Post by retiredguy »

Basically I like to original 12 valve. They had better mileage and were more reliable. Also I'm glad I did because the front axle was 3" back too far. I made a spacer block under the spring that alowed me to move the axle forward on the spring. Much easier that the coil spring front end. I was surprising how smooth it does ride though. By leaving the motor in its original position saved me lots of time fitting it under the hood to where I wanted it. Oh ya this 12 valve has the option of a manual shut off on the pump so don't need any battery power to run the engine. (other than the starter)
Don't procrasinate! Do it now!
PWRWGN NJ
PVT
PVT

Post by PWRWGN NJ »

Are yor running a stock M37 wheelbase now? (112")
retiredguy
SGT
SGT

Post by retiredguy »

I made it 2" longer than stock because I wasn't sure if I was going to run stacks or not, so there is a larger gap between the can and the box as shown in one of my pictures in this thread.
PWRWGN NJ
PVT
PVT

Post by PWRWGN NJ »

Love the build! Do you have any updated photos/ videos?
retiredguy
SGT
SGT

Post by retiredguy »

I'll post more updates and pictures as soon as I am able to. I had open heart surgery done on Oct 31, so I am not healed good enough to work on it yet. But I go to the shop and look at it almost every day.
PWRWGN NJ
PVT
PVT

Post by PWRWGN NJ »

Rest is the most important thing for you right now. Hope you feel better soon! Thanks for the update.
k8icu
1SG
1SG

Post by k8icu »

retiredguy wrote:I'll post more updates and pictures as soon as I am able to. I had open heart surgery done on Oct 31, so I am not healed good enough to work on it yet. But I go to the shop and look at it almost every day.
Wow man heal up and rest! Don't push it!
M37s are HMMWV in my world!
PWRWGN NJ
PVT
PVT

Post by PWRWGN NJ »

Which type of rust preventative did you use for the frame? I have had experience with Por 15 products before, with no issues. Also saw something around called "Rust Bullet." Not sure how good the stuff is, but claims to be a bit better than the Por15 coating.
retiredguy
SGT
SGT

Post by retiredguy »

I used POR15 on the frame. I used a brush on it and I was amazed on how it flowed in and the brush marks disapeared. I also used it on the diffs and fuel tank. The diffs and fuel tank I used gloss POR15, and the frame was semi gloss.
PWRWGN NJ
PVT
PVT

Post by PWRWGN NJ »

What is the condition of the inside of your hard top? Mine seems to be a little on the rough side. Think I might strip the interior sheet metal along with the fiberglass insulation, and them possibly either Rino Line or Por 15 the inside gloss white. Also like the idea of a textured powder coat finish. Do you have a pic of the hardtop mounted with new paint?
retiredguy
SGT
SGT

Post by retiredguy »

The inside is actually in very good condition, other than all the bolts broke off so I have a lot of drilling coming up. I am going to put the insulation back in and the steel headliner, which is on good conition too. The sliding back window has broken glass, so I have to get that replaced. I just don't know what I am going to do about the slider "fuzzies". I don't remember if replacement parts are available for that. I'll take some pics of the proceedure as I get the cab done.
retiredguy
SGT
SGT

Post by retiredguy »

So I am able to do some work again. I finished assembly of the left hand door with all the weather seals in place. Found out there isn't much ajustments for the windows so I guess I'll see how they fit once the cab roof is on. I also posted some pictures of the door limiter straps I set up for it. The straps are out of a Jeep TJ. the brackets I made up from scratch. Now on to the right hand door.

Last edited by retiredguy on Thu Apr 26, 2018 6:26 pm, edited 2 times in total.
PWRWGN NJ
PVT
PVT

Post by PWRWGN NJ »

Truck is really looking good! DId you end up getting the weather seals from Memphis Equipment?
m-37Bruce
1SG
1SG

Post by m-37Bruce »

In the TM, it shows how to adjust the windows, rubber or wooden mallet a 2" X 4" as I recall?

This is how my door arm checks turned out for me.
http://www.g741.org/photogallery/main.php?g2_itemId=562
Bruce,

1953 M-37 w/ow

Retired Again

Keep Em Rollin'

VMVA
retiredguy
SGT
SGT

Post by retiredguy »

PWRWGN NJ wrote:Truck is really looking good! DId you end up getting the weather seals from Memphis Equipment?
I got the seals from MWM. All fit really nice.