Winch roller fairlead

Discuss fixes, upgrades and modifications to your M37

Moderators: Cal_Gary, T. Highway, Monkey Man, robi

N1VSM
SSGT
SSGT

Winch roller fairlead

Post by N1VSM »

I'm thinking of putting a roller fairlead in front of my LU-4. Thoughts? Suggestions? Experiences?
You can trust your mother, but you can't trust your ground.
Master Yota
MSGT
MSGT

Re: Winch roller fairlead

Post by Master Yota »

I've never seen a wide enough roller setup to fit the width of the drum. It wouldn't be too difficult to build one though, some heavy wall tubing, machined on the ends to fit a small sealed roller bearing, and some 1.4" plate for mounting brackets. I would use at least a 5/8" bolt to mount the rollers. The length of the top and bottom rollers might pose a challenge inregards to mounting them.

Perhaps, take apart a Warn fairlead (or other) and see how they are built. Copy the design, and just use a longer top and bottom roller. Shouldn't be too much of a challenge.

Show some pic's of what you come up with...
Ray
1953 CDN. M37
1954 CDN. M152
MSeriesRebuild
1SG
1SG

Post by MSeriesRebuild »

We have some assembly's we have used in the past, if you have interest, I can email a photo.
Charles Talbert
www.mseriesrebuild.com
geraldoM37
PVT
PVT

Post by geraldoM37 »

If your cable is installed properly ( CABLE COMES OFF BOTTOM OF DRUM) you should not need one, as the bumpers will do the job as designed. When I got my truck the fellow had a fairlead bolted on the bumpers because the cable was ridding up above the winch housing, he had the cable wound wrong on the drum (comming off the top of drum) !! Check how your cable is installed on the drum.
Glenn
CPL
CPL

Post by Glenn »

geraldoM37 wrote:If your cable is installed properly ( CABLE COMES OFF BOTTOM OF DRUM) you should not need one, as the bumpers will do the job as designed. When I got my truck the fellow had a fairlead bolted on the bumpers because the cable was ridding up above the winch housing, he had the cable wound wrong on the drum (comming off the top of drum) !! Check how your cable is installed on the drum.
Good point, but a fairlead allows for some more angled pulling. Definitely not a desirable situation but sometimes a necessity, sometimes a last resort situation.