Master cylinder question

Discuss fixes, upgrades and modifications to your M37

Moderators: Cal_Gary, T. Highway, Monkey Man, robi

m37army
PVT
PVT

Master cylinder question

Post by m37army »

I am installing the 1584 dual master cylinder on my truck with drum brakes on the front and rear.

Do I need to install residual check valves on both the front and rear lines?

Do I need I one for the front and one rear or do I need four total?

Thank you,
Bob from South Dakota
MVPA
1951 M37 W/W
1954 M37 W/W
1964 M101A1
1971 M101A1
m37jarhead
SFC
SFC

Post by m37jarhead »

This forum has many experts on brakes, master cylinders, etc. that can answer all your brake questions.
Your question seems to be asking if you need to put a "proportioning
valve" in line when you change from a singel to a dual chambered master cylinder. I've used proportioning
valves on race cars before. But that's an entirely different application then
what you're trying to do.
I'm sure you will get good advice from the others on the forum about your updating the master cylinder.
Member: Arizona Military Vehicle Collector's Club, Treasurer.
Past Pres
Member: MVPA #26600
Member: NRA
‘43 GPW, '53 M37 W/W, ‘54 M170 Field Ambulance,
59 M43, '76 M151A2, '86 CUCV,
'43 GPW, 416 & 101 trailers.
MSeriesRebuild
1SG
1SG

Re: Master cylinder question

Post by MSeriesRebuild »

m37army wrote:I am installing the 1584 dual master cylinder on my truck with drum brakes on the front and rear.

Do I need to install residual check valves on both the front and rear lines?

Do I need I one for the front and one rear or do I need four total?

Thank you,
Bob from South Dakota
The original M/C has a residual check valve built in. The M/C you are changing to does not because it is designed for a disc system.. It will work great in the application, but you will need to include an in line 16 PSI residual check valve in both the front and rear circuit. Mount them as close as possible to the M/C.
Charles Talbert
www.mseriesrebuild.com
m37army
PVT
PVT

Post by m37army »

Sir,
Thank You for your assistance.
Robert from South Dakota
MVPA
1951 M37 W/W
1954 M37 W/W
1964 M101A1
1971 M101A1
cuz
1SG
1SG

Post by cuz »

Bob,
Don't forget the brake lite switch. You can "T" one in the front and one in the rear lines close to the master cylinder and wire them in series and add an indicator light to the dash utilizing the brake lite circuit. This will always come on when you hit the brakes unless one of the two systems looses pressure and you'll get an instant heads up that you lost half of your brakes.
Cheaper and more trouble free then a differential pressure switch.
Wes K
wsknettl@centurytel.net

54 M37, 66 M101, 45MB, 51 M38, 60 CJ5, 46 T3-C
MVPA 22099

Disclaimer: Any data posted is for general info only and may not be M37 specific or meet with the approval of some esteemed gurus.
Sky Soldier

Proportioning valve

Post by Sky Soldier »

Hi
I and have a 61 M37 that I'm putting in a 318 Poly. I have a couple questions as to the brake set up. I have the stock brakes and installed the 1584 dual MC. Do I need a proportioning valve? I believe they have residual check valves built into them. What is the purpose of the check valves?
Thanks for the help
Ken
MSeriesRebuild
1SG
1SG

Re: Proportioning valve

Post by MSeriesRebuild »

Kenneth Cole wrote:Hi
I and have a 61 M37 that I'm putting in a 318 Poly. I have a couple questions as to the brake set up. I have the stock brakes and installed the 1584 dual MC. Do I need a proportioning valve? I believe they have residual check valves built into them. What is the purpose of the check valves?
Thanks for the help
Ken
There is no internal check valves in the 1584. You won't need a proportioning valve. You will need at least a 10# residual check valve in both circuits. The purpose is to keep all fluid from being pushed back into the reservoir when the brakes are released and the shoe return springs force the wheel cylinder pistons inward. If you don't have them, you will find it will be necessary to pump the pedal once to build pressure in the lines before each brake application. Install the check valves as close to the M/C as possible. You will also find you won't have really good brakes unless you install a remote mounted vacuum booster, it makes a huge difference, well worth the cost.
Charles Talbert
www.mseriesrebuild.com
hndrsonj
PVT
PVT

Post by hndrsonj »

So Charles are they needed if running front/rear disks since it was designed for disk brakes origionally?
MSeriesRebuild
1SG
1SG

Post by MSeriesRebuild »

hndrsonj wrote:So Charles are they needed if running front/rear disks since it was designed for disk brakes origionally?
2# residual check valves are recommended for disc brakes, although they are not an absolute necessity.
Charles Talbert
www.mseriesrebuild.com
Sky Soldier

Post by Sky Soldier »

Charles
Thanks for the info. Can I get the check valves at the auto stores and where would I get the vacuum booster?
Thanks again
Ken
MSeriesRebuild
1SG
1SG

Post by MSeriesRebuild »

Kenneth Cole wrote:Charles
Thanks for the info. Can I get the check valves at the auto stores and where would I get the vacuum booster?
Thanks again
Ken
Well there is a little more to a boosted system than just a booster, but yes the components can be purchased through any auto parts outlet, NAPA and others.
Charles Talbert
www.mseriesrebuild.com