Moderators: Cal_Gary, T. Highway, Monkey Man, robi

Josh
SFC
SFC

Re: Project: Old Guard - lots of pictures

Post by Josh »

Lookin good Ray!

Something to consider, which I am sure you're already aware of:

you'll want to drill out that mount cast into the bottom of the 205 and rubber mount that too to help keep that beast from twisting whenyou feed all that torque into it.
Master Yota
MSGT
MSGT

Post by Master Yota »

Josh wrote:Lookin good Ray!

Something to consider, which I am sure you're already aware of:

you'll want to drill out that mount cast into the bottom of the 205 and rubber mount that too to help keep that beast from twisting whenyou feed all that torque into it.
I had actually considered building an new pto cover plate with the mount in it rather than cast boss on the bottom. I haven't settled on which way to go yet. I'm leaning towards the PTO cover as it would give me more space to fab up the "anti-twist" link, plus it would spread the load over a larger area as to reduce the stress on the tcase being focused in one small cast boss.
Ray
1953 CDN. M37
1954 CDN. M152
SOTVEN
SFC
SFC

Post by SOTVEN »

NICE WORK MASTER YOTA!! WHAT SIZE ARE THOSE TIRES YOU GOT? HAVE YOU DECIDED ON THE TRUCK COLOR YET? I LIKE THE INGENIOUITY OF THE DUAL T CASE, BUT DON'T YOU THINK THE PARASITIC LOSS OF POWER AND ADDITIONAL GAS CONSUMPTION WILL BE A LITTLE HIGH? LOOKS COOL THOUGH :D
LIFE IS SHORT AND ENDS UNEXPECTEDLY. MAKE EVERY MOMENT WORTH REMEMBERING.
Master Yota
MSGT
MSGT

Post by Master Yota »

SOTVEN wrote:NICE WORK MASTER YOTA!! WHAT SIZE ARE THOSE TIRES YOU GOT? HAVE YOU DECIDED ON THE TRUCK COLOR YET? I LIKE THE INGENIOUITY OF THE DUAL T CASE, BUT DON'T YOU THINK THE PARASITIC LOSS OF POWER AND ADDITIONAL GAS CONSUMPTION WILL BE A LITTLE HIGH? LOOKS COOL THOUGH :D
Thanks for the compliment Sotven, they are always appreciated :D

The tires are 44x18.5x16.5 - but they only measure out to about 41.5" tall unloaded. The Denman Groundhogs (thats the brand name of the tire) are famous for overestimating the height of the tire. My original intention was to build the truck around a 40" tire, but these where the right price, so thats how I ended up with them. They aren't new by any means, but they still have many years of service left in them.

Both tcases are direct drive units, (straight through) so the parasitic loss of one extra tcase should be rather minimal, maybe 5-10 hp at the most in high range. As for mileage, I'm well north of 450hp under the hood, with better than 500ft.lbs of torque; if I get 10-14 miles per gallon, I'll jump for joy! The real factor that works against the mileage is the tires - at 18.5" wide, they generate alot of rolling resistance. In reality, I should be grateful if it squeaks 8-10 miles per gallon, which is still 2-4 mpg. better than my 251! (My mantra has always been that if I need to ask what kind of mileage it gets, then I can't afford it... :twisted: )
I can always look at it this way: I don't have to make a monthly truck payment on it, so in theory, if I take that payment amount, I can conceivably take that money and use it for fuel. A 400 dollar a month fuel bill would equal the same as a truck payment, so I'd break even in that regard. (although, if my fuel bill is taking the place of my truck payment, I'm still not paying for the fuel used in a new truck, so technically I'm still saving money :wink:) Confused yet? I might be, but this train of logic might work on the wife... :mrgreen:

While this engine was in my previous truck, with 33" tires, and 3.50 gears, I could cruise down the highway in fourth gear at about 2400rpm and I was averaging about 14 mpg provided I kept my foot in check. The new rubber at 41" with 4.56 gears should give me about the same 2400 rpm range. The only factor is rolling resistance and a little more weight. The M fully kitted out should be about 1500lbs heavier than my '66 Ford 4x4 F100 which tipped the scales around 5400lbs.
Ray
1953 CDN. M37
1954 CDN. M152
rixm37
MSGT
MSGT

Post by rixm37 »

You are the Master .... Yota on your reasonning about gas versus truck payments. :D
1952 M37
M101 trailer
1942 Chevy G506
Lifer
1SG
1SG

Post by Lifer »

Yup! He's got that figured out, alright. What really gets expensive is alimony payments. I figure 1 alimony payment = 2 truck payments or 2 months worth of gas money. ;)
"PER ARDUA AD ITER"
Tim Powell
MSGT
MSGT

Post by Tim Powell »

Master Yota! I am impressed! What a project! One quick note: "1953" was an excellent year!! (at least I think so)
Tim & Lori Powell
1952 Dodge M-37
1968 M101A1 Cargo Trailer
2011 F350 Ford Flatbed
MC-A1 Air Compressor Unit
Military Tank APU

"All that is necessary for the triumph of evil
is that good men do nothing."
SOTVEN
SFC
SFC

Post by SOTVEN »

Master Yota wrote:I can always look at it this way: I don't have to make a monthly truck payment on it, so in theory, if I take that payment amount, I can conceivably take that money and use it for fuel. A 400 dollar a month fuel bill would equal the same as a truck payment, so I'd break even in that regard. (although, if my fuel bill is taking the place of my truck payment, I'm still not paying for the fuel used in a new truck, so technically I'm still saving money :wink:) Confused yet? I might be, but this train of logic might work on the wife... :mrgreen: .
HAHAHAHA!!! AND IF THIS ARGUMENT FAIL, ALWAYS HAVE SOME JEWLWRY AND SOME FLOWERS HANDY!!!! LOL :lol: . WHAT COLOR ARE YOU GOING TO PAINT THE M? O.D.?
Lifer
1SG
1SG

Post by Lifer »

Tim Powell wrote:Master Yota! I am impressed! What a project! One quick note: "1953" was an excellent year!! (at least I think so)
1953 was a great year for me, too. I was 10 years old and it was the year that the 11-year-old girl next door showed me that boys and girls were "different." :D
"PER ARDUA AD ITER"
Josh
SFC
SFC

Post by Josh »

No you cant touch it, you already broke yours off! :lol:
Lifer
1SG
1SG

Post by Lifer »

Josh wrote:No you cant touch it, you already broke yours off! :lol:
I'm familiar with that joke! It was a good one, but I hadn't heard it way back then. If I remember correctly, my reaction was something like "where's your pecker??"
"PER ARDUA AD ITER"
Master Yota
MSGT
MSGT

Post by Master Yota »

:roll: :mrgreen:

As for the colour Sotven, I haven't decided yet, but I'm actually considering a nice Brown colour if I can find one. I've seen several M37's in brown and have liked the colour. I don't know if its an actual mil-spec brown, but it does look good on the truck. If not the brown, it'll probably end up in OD green.

If I ever manage to get time to work on it again... :?
Ray
1953 CDN. M37
1954 CDN. M152
SOTVEN
SFC
SFC

Post by SOTVEN »

BROWN IS NICE. I WAS CONSIDERING THAT TOO, BUT THE MORE TIME GOES BY, THE MORE I AM INCLINED TO A "DUSTY" WHITE ON MINE :) AS FOR YOU FINDING THE TIME TO WORK ON YOUR TRUCK AGAIN, MASTER "YODA" WOULD HAVE SAID "SURE I AM, FIND THE TIME YOU WILL" :D
Master Yota
MSGT
MSGT

Post by Master Yota »

SOTVEN wrote:BROWN IS NICE. I WAS CONSIDERING THAT TOO, BUT THE MORE TIME GOES BY, THE MORE I AM INCLINED TO A "DUSTY" WHITE ON MINE :) AS FOR YOU FINDING THE TIME TO WORK ON YOUR TRUCK AGAIN, MASTER "YODA" WOULD HAVE SAID "SURE I AM, FIND THE TIME YOU WILL" :D
Hrmmm...Honey-do lists, bad they are...hrmmm?

:mrgreen:
Ray
1953 CDN. M37
1954 CDN. M152
SOTVEN
SFC
SFC

Post by SOTVEN »

Master Yota wrote:
SOTVEN wrote:BROWN IS NICE. I WAS CONSIDERING THAT TOO, BUT THE MORE TIME GOES BY, THE MORE I AM INCLINED TO A "DUSTY" WHITE ON MINE :) AS FOR YOU FINDING THE TIME TO WORK ON YOUR TRUCK AGAIN, MASTER "YODA" WOULD HAVE SAID "SURE I AM, FIND THE TIME YOU WILL" :D
Hrmmm...Honey-do lists, bad they are...hrmmm?

:mrgreen:
HAHAHAHAHA!!!! I KNOW EXACTLY WHAT YOU MEAN, I'VE BEEN THERE, DONE THAT... :D