Your Reaction?

Discuss all non M37 related issues here

Moderators: Cal_Gary, T. Highway, Monkey Man, robi

greencom
SGT
SGT

Your Reaction?

Post by greencom »

I was visiting the G503 site, I hope to have an MB or GPW someday. In the commo section of the forum I came upon a question a guy was asking about BC-611 Handi Talkies. The answer I gave him explained how he would not need a special battery adaptor if he followed a procedure found in the tech manual. I later got a nasty e-main from another member of the forum who sells radio parts saying that by giving the radio owner this advice I screwed him out of selling an adaptor, he said he had 100 of them and now it's going to be harder to sell them. He also said he will never sell me anything because of what I did. I wasn't aware of this guy selling stuff so I took great offense to his e-mail. I showed my offense by answering him not by e-mail but on the forum for all to see. That pissed him off even more. Did I step over a line? Did I break an unwritten law? Any opinions?
Greencom
Josh
SFC
SFC

Post by Josh »

What I think:

Sucks to be him. You exposed a used car dealer. He got what he deserved.
greencom
SGT
SGT

Post by greencom »

Months ago someone on G503 put out an audio file of WWII radio chatter for free on the forum for us to download if we wanted. Recently someone asked if anyone remembered where on the forum it was. The guy who gave me grief chimed in and said he had it on tape...for $14. What a businessman.

Greencom
Cal_Gary

Post by Cal_Gary »

Greencom,
From my perspective you were justified in your original post-you could have sent a private post but didn't. So what? Why should people throw away their hard-earned cash for unneeded items? That's why he has 100 unsold to begin with-they aren't required. The shyster seller should peddle his wares on E-Bay, Craigs List, or on-line-plenty of unsuspecting folks over there. As I recall, these forums aren't intended for profiteering-you saved a bunch of folks some cash, including yours since you'll never have a need to purchase from the offendee.

Sleep well my friend, you did a valuable service to the others on that forum.
Gary
Cal_Gary
1954 M37 W/W
MVPA Correspondent #28500
refit1701
1SG
1SG

Post by refit1701 »

G503 is a peculiar animal. There are many, many people on there who are less interested in the hobby and more interested in making a buck.

I think free advise is the part of the hobby I like the most. 99% of members will help you for free and gladly do so.

The percentage is slightly lower on 503. I think the jeep mystique has poisoned some of those guys minds. You should see them hording info from each other about tools, brackets etc. They get into violent arguments over what wrench goes with what jeep. It's shameful at times.
-John
Member of Dixie Division MVC

1953 USAF M37 wow, restored
1962 M151 Ford Production, on the rotisserie now
1953 USMC M37 w/w -in storage
1942 M6 Bomb Service Truck (sold to UK collector)
1967 M116A1 Pioneer Trailer
1968 M101A1 Trailer
S-89 Comm box
greencom
SGT
SGT

Post by greencom »

Thanks for your opinions guys. It looks like we're all about the same thing.
Greencom
Nickathome
1SG
1SG

G503

Post by Nickathome »

Too bad if your advice causes someone to not buy his junk. That's his problem. What are you , the amazing Kreskin? You're supposed to know this clown was selling stuff via the site. He can go sit on a broken beer bottle..... Screw him, don't give it a second thought!
greencom
SGT
SGT

Re: G503

Post by greencom »

Nickathome wrote:Too bad if your advice causes someone to not buy his junk. That's his problem. What are you , the amazing Kreskin? You're supposed to know this clown was selling stuff via the site. He can go sit on a broken beer bottle..... Screw him, don't give it a second thought!
OOOh. that would hurt! Thanks for the support.
Greencom
greencom
SGT
SGT

Re: G503

Post by greencom »

Nickathome wrote:Too bad if your advice causes someone to not buy his junk. That's his problem. What are you , the amazing Kreskin? You're supposed to know this clown was selling stuff via the site. He can go sit on a broken beer bottle..... Screw him, don't give it a second thought!
OOOh. that would hurt! Thanks for the support.
Greencom
MikeOneSix
SSGT
SSGT

Post by MikeOneSix »

Greencom
As a g503 member and someone who posts there often, I'd have to agree with your action. You were doing (in my opinion) the very thing that these forums were intended for and that is to share information. I've also recieved a few PMs from some of those "mental micronaughts". Overall though, it's not a bad place. Don't let the rotten apples run you off!

On another note, this is my first post on this site! Looking forward to gleening knowlege about M37s for my resto project!

Matt
Never underestimate the power of stupid people in large groups
m-37Bruce
1SG
1SG

Welcome Matt

Post by m-37Bruce »

Your 100% correct, it's a hobby, some of us make friends, some of us (not me) make money.
I've sold a few things here & there, thought about turning it into a livelihood, but don't see it happening anytime to soon, greencom, you did it right! 8)
Bruce,

1953 M-37 w/ow

Retired Again

Keep Em Rollin'

VMVA
Captnsim
SGT
SGT

Post by Captnsim »

I agree with what you did to a degree. But I do prefer to keep my differences with people be it online, or in person...private. Never cared for hanging my dirty laundry out for all to see. Unless I've been ripped off. Then I'll do my best to expose them.
Open forums are for FREE information. If you want to sell stuff for profit only...use the classified section most forums have, or one of the many online sites for selling.
If anyone broke a unwritten rule it's him. Don't bash a guy for giving info unless he's wrong and you can prove it.
cuz
1SG
1SG

Post by cuz »

I C0-own and operate two M series jeeps web sites. I allow vendors to pedal wares on the sites but I won't tolerate them badgering a guy for offering a fellow board member an option that doesn't include that vendors part sale.

Ron F has posted to the titles of each sale board on his G503 site "NO EBAY or COMMERCIAL SALES. I take no issue with that .

I do take issue with someone that violates that rule and when quality or pricing is questioned by someone he starts the pissy email game.

Vendors are an invaluable resource where there are limited supplies of hard to find parts but they should not consider themselves above the rules and above the rest of the grunts trying to build their trucks. It is thoroughly disgusting when you have to listen to a vendors diatribe coming down the nose at some poor builder because he dared to question the vendors pricing, quality or knowledge.

I also am just as disgusted when I listen to a guy run down a dealer for a quality, service or pricing issue and then when I ask if he has already had this discussion with the vendor and he says no. The whole vendor/customer issue is a two way street.

So, finally let me say I feel it is best to try an offsite settlement and use the web site/open forum only when it is a last resort.

We all get at least one of those "Aw crap I just didn't think before I hollered" days. The great guys apoligize immediately and move on. The ones we won't miss pout and send pissy emails. :wink:
Wes K
wsknettl@centurytel.net

54 M37, 66 M101, 45MB, 51 M38, 60 CJ5, 46 T3-C
MVPA 22099

Disclaimer: Any data posted is for general info only and may not be M37 specific or meet with the approval of some esteemed gurus.
Cal_Gary

Post by Cal_Gary »

Welcome aboard, Matt! Everything you want or need to know about M37's can be found here. This is a great forum group and we are glad to have you with us!
Gary
Cal_Gary
1954 M37 W/W
MVPA Correspondent #28500
Captnsim
SGT
SGT

Post by Captnsim »

Didn't see you was a new member Matt. :oops:
Welcome to the site. :D
As Gary said...great group here with all the info for M37's you will need!