The TRUTH - as told by Hollywood

Discuss all non M37 related issues here

Moderators: Cal_Gary, T. Highway, Monkey Man, robi

Paul in Kempner, TX
PFC
PFC

The TRUTH - as told by Hollywood

Post by Paul in Kempner, TX »

The other day I watched the movie, "Strategic Air Command" with General Jimmie Stewart and June Allison. The movie was made in 1955, the year I graduated from High School. Although I have seen it many times, I decided to watch it again to see how accurately Hollywood got the details.

I grew up a few miles from a SAC base - Patterson Field, Ohio. In fact my Dad worked “at the Field” during “the War” on the Norden Bombsight. Having attended many “Open House” events where the public was allowed access, I was familiar with the typical SAC security procedures. I attended one event soon after the end of the War while it was still the U.S.Army Air Force and have a picture of me standing next to the main landing gear of the B-19.

I was not surprised at the level of propaganda in the film. Propaganda was a common aspect of many Hollywood films during the War years. I am still amazed by the apparent unlimited access the film crews had - until I see how carefully the film was scripted as both a USAF recruiting film and an anti-Soviet message. How amazing it must have been to have the movie guys pushing for access to some scenes to “give the movie more credibility” even though their actions stretched the limits of security policy.

In addition to watching the trade-offs of security for the recruiting and propaganda messages, I also was interested to find the answer to the endless questions on this Forum about the paint color for M37's of the USAF.

Based on my having watched the whole movie one more time and specifically looking for USAF M37’s, I have to conclude there were no M37’s in the USAF in 1955 - at least not on any SAC base. There were lots of “Pilot House” series Dodge 2WD pickups. The base commander had a 1952 Buick sedan. But I could not find a single M37 in any of the scenes.

AND HOLLYWOOD WOULD NEVER LIE.
Paul Cook at the Kempner Power Wagon Museum MVPA#27246

"You have to GO BUY the book before you can GO BY the book."
obxron
PVT
PVT

Post by obxron »

That movie has awesome aerial film footage of the B-47 :!:
rixm37
MSGT
MSGT

Post by rixm37 »

And don't forget the best B-36 footage ever . Six turning and four burning!!! :D Ya Baby!!
1952 M37
M101 trailer
1942 Chevy G506
m-37Bruce
1SG
1SG

Strategic Air Command

Post by m-37Bruce »

Hey Paul,
We had dozens of the M-43 ambo units as well as the Crash Trucks at Minot, in the late Sixties, early Seventies. My last assignment, Bucks Harbor Air Force Station, Bucks Harbor, ME we had 3 M-37's all canvas tops, one w/ a plow.
Hope Everyone Had A Great Fourth? :wink:
Bruce,

1953 M-37 w/ow

Retired Again

Keep Em Rollin'

VMVA
russcal
PFC
PFC

Post by russcal »

Heya, y'all!

Yes, you are right... HOLLYWOOD WOULD NEVER LIE!!!

"Strategic Air Command" is on my list of favorite films: amazing machines and heroic men. I couldn't imagine getting to see one of those "magnesium clouds" drone overhead, much less 2 or more. The things I missed not being born til 1966!

Jimmy Stewart is a true American hero, and a Hollywood legend that is basically 180 degrees from everything Hollyweird has come to represent. Times definately have changed!

Back to the movie... I'd read somewhere that due to the sensitive nature of systems in the actual aircraft, that SAC wouldn't allow film crew to see the inside of a B-36. The sets that they came up with were evidently close enough to the real thing to almost cause a FBI investigation as to who leaked national security information. The set designers based their work on older aircraft and common sense, somewhat like Convair did when designing the plane!

As to the lack of M37 type tactical vehicles, hey, this is / was the Air Force we're talkin' about! What would you rather be toolin' about the airbase in? A nice, civvy type late model pick-up or a teeth-rattling, eardrum piercing M series?

Russ
Proud son of Rose and Wes
Russ
Proud son of Rose and Wes
Lifer
1SG
1SG

Post by Lifer »

russcal wrote: As to the lack of M37 type tactical vehicles, hey, this is / was the Air Force we're talkin' about! What would you rather be toolin' about the airbase in? A nice, civvy type late model pick-up or a teeth-rattling, eardrum piercing M series?
Oh, the AF had M37s back then all right. They were assigned to TAC units, though, for the most part. A few of them were used to haul munitions at overseas bases, but for the most part, civvy models were used on base. M43s, on the other hand, were a fixture at most bases.
"PER ARDUA AD ITER"