Rebuild progress all in one thread

Build and Restoration Threads Belong Here

Moderators: Cal_Gary, T. Highway, Monkey Man, robi

Josh
SFC
SFC

Re: Rebuild progress, Thread #2 (3/2/10) PG 7

Post by Josh »

EFI showed up already, BIG thumbs up for DIYautotune.com for their tech support and shipping! :D If the ECU works as well as the rest of their business, I'll be very pleased. I ordered it on Monday, tehy built it, and made custom modifications to it for my application, and shipped it to my door in 5 business days.
Josh
SFC
SFC

Post by Josh »

Been wrenching/feeding the mosquitoes all day... :roll:

Got the ECU mounted, second fuel pump in, regulators mounted, oil pump adapter system in, fuel tank buttoned up, passengers side exhaust done, and started planning the wiring! Whew!!

Tank done. need to wrap the lines in coolant hose or other rubber to keep the braid from chaffing through the tank:

Wired up the sender. it is a VDO 0-90 ohm unit. was adjustable, so very easy to install, and matched the M's tank bolt pattern. Going to do the entire truck in Delphi weatherpack connectors:

Got the Megasquirt EFI mounted in the glovebox. It actually should be called an EMS, not EFI, as it does so much more than fuel. I'm going to do EFI, distributorless coil-near-plug ignition, boost control, radiator fan control, idle speed control, and fuel pump switching with it.

Harness for the EFI. it looks worse than it is...

One of my concerns through all this has been thermal control. I took care of that on the cooling side with the bigger radiator, but, making sure there won't be an engine fire has been on the back of my mind, so, to that effect, I spent alot of time, money and effort on controling the temps. I added wrap to the downpipes, in addition to the headers, put turbine blankets around the turbine housings, and added thermal sleeving to the drain lines. Hopefully this will be enough to control the temps. I am also resarching water based hydraulic fluid for the power steering system. I think I have found something that will work, but need to confirm. It is used primaily in die casting shops and other places where a blown line would cause a catastrophic fire. You can also see in the pics the regulators, fuel filters, and the PCV catch tank. crankcase pressure control is critical on a turbocharged engine:

oil feed system is done:

Remote mount filter system is done as well:

and, since Wisconsin requires mufflers, I added em... if you can call them that. they are very loosely interpreted as mufflers :wink: You can also see teh O2 sensor. I am going to run dual wideband O2 sensors to keep track of what is going on, so if I loose a fuel pump or injector, I don't burn her down. The Megasquirt also has the ability to datalog and self-tune with a 0-5V output form a wideband, which, these happen to do...

added a 4" SS tip to the end, leaned out so that the slash cut follows the body line:

M37UK
SSGT
SSGT

Post by M37UK »

Very interesting, as ususal, Josh !
No long to go now to ignition I reckon .
Stu

1952 Dodge M37 with 1952 M101 Trailer
MVT UK
SMVG Scotland
Josh
SFC
SFC

Post by Josh »

no, not long at all, just have to tame the wiring mess, and install the cooling system.
Josh
SFC
SFC

Post by Josh »

Good productive night tonight. got the bed in basecoat, wil clear it tomorrow. Also got the wiring diagram converted from paper, to electronic. It got significantly more complicated with the EFI system...

From this:

To this:

and, a sneak peak at the color combo... sorry for the crummy pictures, late, and still some overspray hanging in the air, but, you get the idea on the color combo:

JGPierce
PVT
PVT

Post by JGPierce »

Great color, Josh. Is this the pearl gray that you were thinking about initially?

John
M37UK
SSGT
SSGT

Post by M37UK »

Good choice of colours Josh, it will look stunning when finished!
Stu

1952 Dodge M37 with 1952 M101 Trailer
MVT UK
SMVG Scotland
jeepdud
PVT
PVT

Post by jeepdud »

Great color combo. I have a 74 bronco in pearl gray and black accent. But the M-37 will look way better my opinion with those color choices.
Lifer
1SG
1SG

Post by Lifer »

Well, Josh, you knew I was gonna weigh in here, didn't ya? ;) Nothing can ever beat Strata Blue for pure prettiness, but I do have to admit that your color scheme does lend a certain panache to your highly modified beast. It's gonna be downright purty, as a matter of fact. (There! I said it!) Now I'm just waiting to hear it fire up and see it move under its own power. Any guesses on your quarter mile time?
"PER ARDUA AD ITER"
Josh
SFC
SFC

Post by Josh »

Haha, thanks! I kinda like it myself also :mrgreen: No idea on the quarter mile time, but, we'll find out. I think I'm going to get the same GPS speedometer that Ray is using is his beast, and it happens to crunch 1/4 mile time... :wink:

Cleared the bed, cab back, and rear fenders out tonight. Pictures don't do it jusitce:

Master Yota
MSGT
MSGT

Post by Master Yota »

Lookin' pretty stellar there man! Can't wait to see it in "real" lighting conditions... :D
Ray
1953 CDN. M37
1954 CDN. M152
Josh
SFC
SFC

Post by Josh »

we have rubber.

BRAND SPANKIN NEW! Still soft, pliable, no rot, nothing. Heck, they even still smell new!

Master Yota
MSGT
MSGT

Post by Master Yota »

I think those will work nicely!

Are you planning to stick with the same rims, or have you something else up your sleeve?
Ray
1953 CDN. M37
1954 CDN. M152
Josh
SFC
SFC

Post by Josh »

piced up a set of late 80s/early 90's Ford rims from an F250. they're 7 1/4" wide, 1.25" wider than the ford and Dodge rims. Michelin *recommends* a 9" wide rim, but, they don't specify a minimum, only that for every 1/4" under 9", the tire grows in height by .1" for whatever thats worth...
Master Yota
MSGT
MSGT

Post by Master Yota »

I'm going to assume you checked the bolt pattern on the wheels right? Ford made the switch in pattern spacing from 8 on 6.5 to 8 on 170mm around that time frame...

How wide are those tires anyway?
Ray
1953 CDN. M37
1954 CDN. M152