Rebuild progress all in one thread

Build and Restoration Threads Belong Here

Moderators: Cal_Gary, T. Highway, Monkey Man, robi

Master Yota
MSGT
MSGT

Post by Master Yota »

Josh wrote:The crossmember is factory, it's been on every M37 I've seen...
Mine has two small flat plates that bolt in place above the fender mount that the hood rests on. I don't think that crossmember would be something to permanently remove; so perhaps its just a minor design change between the Cdn. and US models...

650 dosen't seem too painful when you consider any stock type rad (for any application) is usually 400 or more. Thats a nice piece. I might need to look into that if the one I'm using dosen't cut the mustard in the cooling dept....
Ray
1953 CDN. M37
1954 CDN. M152
M37UK
SSGT
SSGT

Post by M37UK »

Master Yota wrote:
Josh wrote:The crossmember is factory, it's been on every M37 I've seen...
Mine has two small flat plates that bolt in place above the fender mount that the hood rests on. I don't think that crossmember would be something to permanently remove; so perhaps its just a minor design change between the Cdn. and US models...

650 dosen't seem too painful when you consider any stock type rad (for any application) is usually 400 or more. Thats a nice piece. I might need to look into that if the one I'm using dosen't cut the mustard in the cooling dept....

I concur, mine has the two small flat plates also. Must be a CDN thing.

Stu
Brett
SSGT
SSGT

Post by Brett »

The 251 is longer than the 230 isn't it? Maybe the rad is mounted different in the Cdn M37 to account for this.

Brett
Master Yota
MSGT
MSGT

Post by Master Yota »

I think that Brett has hit-upon the answer. The CDN 251 is longer, and the rad is moved ahead to accomodate the extra length...
Ray
1953 CDN. M37
1954 CDN. M152
Josh
SFC
SFC

Post by Josh »

been a while since I posted, been tied up with otehr stuff, but, got the brake lines bent up and semi-mounted, as well as the fuel lines. I used Copper-Nickel-Iron brake line, made in Michigan. It's used by high end car companies like Audi, Saab, Porsche, M-B, etc as it does not rust, does not corrode, and is very workable. I could bend it easily by hand without kinking, and you can bend it 2-3 times before it starts to work harden.

Took me a while to figure out where to stick the stupid fuel pressure regulators. Wouldn't go on the frame because they were too tall, couldn't mount them outboard on the firewall because of where the exhaust pipes will be... finally settled on the Vee between the blowers. VERY tight fit there, but if I get the tubes formed right for the blower inlets it should be alright.

k8icu
1SG
1SG

Re: Rebuild progress, Thread #2 (3/2/10) PG 7

Post by k8icu »

Stupid Question.... is the brake line DOT approved? I know you said it was used in Audi etc. but that doesn't always mean DOT approved it for your or my use.
M37s are HMMWV in my world!
Josh
SFC
SFC

Post by Josh »

I would assume so. I didnt look explicity at the package to see, but, it was sold over the counter at a major auto parts chain, so, I'm guessing it is. Good thing to look for in the future though.
SOTVEN
SFC
SFC

Post by SOTVEN »

OH BOY, I CAN NOT WAIT TO SEE THIS MONSTER FIRED UP, AND MOVING UNDER ITS OWN POWER... KEEP UP THE GOOD WORK:D
LIFE IS SHORT AND ENDS UNEXPECTEDLY. MAKE EVERY MOMENT WORTH REMEMBERING.
Josh
SFC
SFC

Post by Josh »

finalized the belt routing. Just need to finish the brackets. I had the excellent idea of driving the water pump with the cog belt which does several things for me:

1. Solid driven water pump. Gotta love that.

2. Alows me to hard mount the PS pump, and then make my adjustments at the alternator. Can run dual belts around both, and end up with one V belt adjustment, instead of two.

3. Alows me to lean the jackshaft off to the drivers side, which makes getting to the water neck a heck of a lot easier, and also alows me to get significantly more wrap on the serpentine belts.

4. Serp idler pulley in the middle will be hard mounted, while the tensioner will be on the bottom where there is no chance of inducing slip in the belt on the blowers from idler fluctuations.

5. Uses a standard goodyear belt, number 4080455.

Josh
SFC
SFC

Post by Josh »

Finished the cog belt drive, and the serpentine belt is on order. The idler is on a bracket mounted to the water pump bolts and is sloted on the drivers side bolts to make tension adjustments. To tension it, you put a wrench on the bolt head in them middle of the idler, pull it tight, and then cinch the water pump bolts down. I plan on replacing the bolts with double ended hex studs, so that I can make adjustments to the belt tension without risking blowing the gasket on the water pump. Once I get the serp belt I can finish the rest of the drive. Was plesantly surprised at the cost, the belt was only 28 bucks. Also got the rear blower tie plate done. This is the plate that will weld to the the charge piping and carry the air from the turbos to the blower inlets. I need to make a front one as well that will tie the two blowers together at the front to keep them from flexing. Originally, the blowers were held down by 3 large bolts, but I could not get that system to work correctly, so they are held to the manifolds by the 4 bolts that originally held the discharge caps on, and I don't believe that they were designed to hold the blower's weight, so the plates will help tie them together and take some of the load off the 4 original bolts.

Josh
SFC
SFC

Post by Josh »

finished tacking and basic assembly of the blower drive bracket. Got the idler installed, as well as the tensioner for the serpentine belt. that thing travels all over!

And, A video of the blowers/jackshaft being spun with the drill. WARNING: The drill makes a god aweful noise since it is right beside the camera mic. The fluttering sound in the background that sounds like helecopter blades is the blowers:

monkeymissile
SSGT
SSGT

Post by monkeymissile »

Josh,
your fabrication skills with seemingly limited tools is impressive. You'd be a terror in a full machine shop!
1953 Dodge M43

Fail often to succeed sooner
k8icu
1SG
1SG

Post by k8icu »

Is your middle name Rube? :lol: Wow what a set up.... I'd be afraid of all those moving parts... :D
M37s are HMMWV in my world!
Josh
SFC
SFC

Post by Josh »

Thanks Monkey! I'd love to have a lathe, mill, and plasma cutter. I have solidworks, and it can export CNC code... would make my life a lot easier. As it is, I just have to come up with more elaborate, or more novel solutions, which, are usually cheaper and easier anyways! They just take longer to think up!

Tonight I went back through and made a bunch of small adjustments, including the location of the tensioner(was too close to the jackshaft pulley), then welded her up. Within a 1/16" of an inch alignment axially, and a few degrees radially all around now. Even if something is off, and it were to wear the bely extremely fast, say, every 10K miles, that would be 2-3 years worth of driving, so, Im not too concerned.
monkeymissile
SSGT
SSGT

Post by monkeymissile »

my truck is in NH and I have full access to the shop I used to work at 3 miles away. It's dangerous though since I think if I entered, I might never leave! I am learning CNC programming now, there's a CNC lathe and (3) VMCs at my disposal, plus a full welding area. It's heavenly
1953 Dodge M43

Fail often to succeed sooner