Talk about your truck here

Moderators: Cal_Gary, T. Highway, Monkey Man, robi

k8icu
1SG
1SG

Shocks

Post by k8icu »

Hi all,

Is there a modern replacement shockabsorber for the M37? If so does anyone have a part number?

Thanks
Joe
M37s are HMMWV in my world!
monkeymissile
SSGT
SSGT

Post by monkeymissile »

front only-GABRIEL 1798090
front+rear-MONROE 6707
front only-MONROE MAGNUM 65 #65102
rear only-GABRIEL 1798091
rear only-MONROE MAGNUM 65 #65407
1953 Dodge M43

Fail often to succeed sooner
MSeriesRebuild
1SG
1SG

Post by MSeriesRebuild »

We have new shocks available for $52 each + shipping.
Charles Talbert
www.mseriesrebuild.com
SydneyM37
CPL
CPL

Shocks

Post by SydneyM37 »

Whatever you do .Don't bother Vintage power wagon about them ,as they had no help whatever in the subject, except to sell me whatever they had providing no information whatsoever.

So i Researched my own:
Now remember this is my experience:
Mounting on shocks Monroe is known as L4 both ends

I had to decide on 60 or 65 series, M37 Compression forces are low but the rebound large.
Suitable are Gas magnum 65 shocks
Arvin Meritor 85302 Front
Gabriel Shocks
Front 1798090 Rear 1798091
Monroe Front 65 # 65102 Rear 65 # 65407

I purchased 4 x Gas magnum 60 series part no. 66957
This set covered the rebound and expansion within the range of travel for the front and rear.
Keep em green to keep ya keen
k8icu
1SG
1SG

Post by k8icu »

Thanks for the replies guys. I didn't want to buy from a MV parts vendor if the part is available commercial. I'm not picking on anyone, but in my 25+ years of being around MVs I find many an MV parts vendor thinks OD is another spelling for GOLD.
MSeriesRebuild
1SG
1SG

Post by MSeriesRebuild »

k8icu wrote:Thanks for the replies guys. I didn't want to buy from a MV parts vendor if the part is available commercial. I'm not picking on anyone, but in my 25+ years of being around MVs I find many an MV parts vendor thinks OD is another spelling for GOLD.
Joe, think again, all vendors aren't equal. With some your statement bears out truth, with others it doesn't. AB Linn is one large MV parts vendor that comes to mind, lots of his parts come from the same wholesalers we use along with most of the other vendors; after all how many military parts wholesalers are out there for us to buy from? In the case of AB, let me say this; on some of his top selling items, I can't believe how reasonable he is. You see I know where he got it & what it cost him, he then has to pay freight to get it to his facility which must be passed on to the end user. In a few cases after I figure my wholesale cost plus the freight, I could buy from AB as cheap or cheaper sometimes than I can directly from the same wholesaler. AB is doing all you guys a huge favor, honestly he makes literally pennies on the dollar on what he resells for the most part. AB is like us in many ways, he doesn't live an elaborate lifestyle, he works out of the same facility he worked out of in the 70's, etc. He is indeed in business not only to supply parts, but actually does help his customers more than himself. You would need to meet AB & Amellia to see for yourself & understand how they do business, & the tremendous asset they have been to MVers. They are the total opposite of many MV parts vendors in every way.

Sid Beck is another good example of a fine business man. He sources his stuff very differently for the most part. He makes several trips a year to Europe & sources mostly NOS parts, has it shipped back to the US, not cheap. He too sells at amazingly low cost for all he has involved in it. Sid is also the source of many of the rubber items that are out there, he has these items manufactured locally in bulk & passes them on to customers at very reasonable prices. Having stuff custom manufactured these days is not what most call reasonable, I know. Be very appreciative to these guys, they do folks with MV's a huge favor every day. When they are gone, so will be many parts at reasonable prices.

Now I speak for myself, we are not a parts vendor, we buy mainly for our own business. We pull from stock to use on our own rebuild projects & generally not for resale. Sure I'll sell you something if I have it too spare, but again our mainstay is not parts sales. We have accumulated lots of take-off stuff as a result of rebuilding, that's the kind of stuff I have piled up & need to move. When we sell take-off stuff, it's at give away prices most of the time. Where we get caught is like this, I have to stop a person working on a project to crate items to ship. That is very costly to us. When you buy take-off parts from us, you are paying for crating & shipping mostly. I have to decline sales many times because I don't have the time & manpower to crate it. On the other hand, if we have what you need available & you can come pick it up, I have real deals for you. Would much rather see it go back on a truck than to the Chinese in scrap.

We've all bought from sources & felt ripped off, I've sold stuff for bare bones pricing & still felt like I had ripped off the customer. It's all what you have in it & what it cost you to get it to the customer. Sometimes all involved just doesn't add up to reasonable no matter how you figure it. Many times I have lost money & time just trying to help someone in need. I've spent many a Saturday building shipping crates, did I make a profit? Hardly, truth is I had to hang my pants on the wall cause I lost my butt. Because I told someone I'd do it, I proceeded to work knowing all along it was for "0" profit. An older gentleman told me this long ago; "There is no glory in running a business, you MUST make a profit to survive." This is a true statement, I've wondered many times, how long will it take me to learn?

Along the lines of having items custom built, I had need for a specific thrust washer used in a transfer case; called every vendor in search, nobody could supply it. I had the case torn down, had to have the part. Ended up getting the minimum amount custom made at a cost of $70 each. Now if you called needing that thrust washer, I'd say I had it for $75 + shipping. You would think I was a total jurk for even asking a price that high. Situation is however, it cost me $70, would cost me more than the $5 mark up in lost time from regular work to get it in a box & ready to ship. Does this paint a better picture that you can relate too?

No, all parts vendors aren't equal, give credit where credit is due. Take time to stop & smell the roses while the opportunity is at hand, realize what you have while it is still around for you to enjoy. The new administration in Washington DC is working over time trying to utterly destroy small business. I'm waiting along with everyone else to see where that will lead.
Charles Talbert
www.mseriesrebuild.com
achiem37
PFC
PFC

Charles transfer case thrust washers

Post by achiem37 »

Charles I just read this post and thought I might have hit the goldmine. Is the thrust washer your talking about the aplined one that sits behind the main input shaft gear?. My truck has it's washer bent backwards and cracked in about three places. I have searched all over for a new one, if they even exist. If this is indeed the washer part # cc928999 are you willing to sell and ship it up to Canada ?. Let me know thanks Terry
m-37Bruce
1SG
1SG

Well Put Charles

Post by m-37Bruce »

The three of you are great people to deal with, I agree about meeting these guys, they are so down to earth....so are you to Charles, even if I haven't stopped by to meet in person.
Enough guys here can vouch for your practices and abilities. Good Post!
Thanks,
Bruce,

1953 M-37 w/ow

Retired Again

Keep Em Rollin'

VMVA
MSeriesRebuild
1SG
1SG

Re: Charles transfer case thrust washers

Post by MSeriesRebuild »

achiem37 wrote:Charles I just read this post and thought I might have hit the goldmine. Is the thrust washer your talking about the aplined one that sits behind the main input shaft gear?. My truck has it's washer bent backwards and cracked in about three places. I have searched all over for a new one, if they even exist. If this is indeed the washer part # cc928999 are you willing to sell and ship it up to Canada ?. Let me know thanks Terry
Hey Terry,
I'd have to be at the shop to compare part#'s, but I think I have what you need as this is the only splined thrust washer in the NP200 transfer case. It fits beneath the 2-speed gear on the input shaft, keeps the needle rollers from escaping the bore. The originals are bad to crack as they are a cast part. We made our reproductions from 4140 tool steel, had them hardened, & ground to spec. We then followed up the process by cutting the splines with an EDM machine. They turned out great, & will never crack as is so common with the originals. I'm sure we can work a deal with shipping you one as soon as we verify it is indeed what you need. Get with me this coming week. Charles
Charles Talbert
www.mseriesrebuild.com
achiem37
PFC
PFC

Transfer case splined thrust washer

Post by achiem37 »

Charled sounds great . I will send you an email later this week. The splined washer is indeed the one I need for my rebuild. I had already found the input shaft assembly from another susrplus dealer. It appears that mine was driven hard I guess. How are the availability of the output shafts / gear assemblies?. thanks Terry
k8icu
1SG
1SG

Post by k8icu »

Charles, Sorry if I touched a nerve with you I wasn't meaning you when I posted that. My thoughts were actually on a few other vendors and many people who we see at the different shows. As I stated I've been in this hobby for well over 25 years and have seen my share of vendors who think the item is worth more than it is.

You may or may not know this Charles, but I'm a small businessman too. I own a small leather business in Lakewood Ohio called Leather Naturally. I started my business as a leather supply house, but with in the first two years of business I found that if I wanted to stay in business then I needed to do custom work, repair and restoration. I make some very nice holsters....anyway...the point is that I know and understand pricing. I understand that sometimes after you get an item from your supplier and the resell it that to some people it may seem like your ripping them off, but that is the way it is. That was not what I was talking about.

If you thought I was pointing the finger at you and in some way offended you then I'm sorry.
MSeriesRebuild
1SG
1SG

Post by MSeriesRebuild »

k8icu wrote:Charles, Sorry if I touched a nerve with you I wasn't meaning you when I posted that. My thoughts were actually on a few other vendors and many people who we see at the different shows. As I stated I've been in this hobby for well over 25 years and have seen my share of vendors who think the item is worth more than it is.

You may or may not know this Charles, but I'm a small businessman too. I own a small leather business in Lakewood Ohio called Leather Naturally. I started my business as a leather supply house, but with in the first two years of business I found that if I wanted to stay in business then I needed to do custom work, repair and restoration. I make some very nice holsters....anyway...the point is that I know and understand pricing. I understand that sometimes after you get an item from your supplier and the resell it that to some people it may seem like your ripping them off, but that is the way it is. That was not what I was talking about.

If you thought I was pointing the finger at you and in some way offended you then I'm sorry.
I didn't think that, as I said in my post, I'm not a parts vendor. I figure since you have stated you had M35's before that you are refering to vendors such as Memphis Equipment & some of the larger outfits who mostly specialize in the larger trucks. These folks ask more for their stuff, they target mainly the commercial user. Commercial users are getting a return on their investment, need their trucks in service every day, thus this type of customer is willing to pay more for prompt service from a place that has what they need on the shelf & ready to ship on the fly. These folks will always be higher, that will never change. They could care less if you like it or if you do business with them. You will never see the down home attitude there or a willingness to go the extra mile to help a customer. They have the mindset; if it doesn't happen in a big way, no need in wasting your time. I look at it this way, a man that calls needing a $10 part or just needs help with finalizing an adjustment is just as important as anyone else. If I take 10 minutes to help him, maybe he will remember me when he has a larger need. This reflects directly on the way I was raised. This doesn't hold the weight that it used to these days, I find all to often now a days that people call for free advice that will never spend a dime, some don't even bother to say thanks when they hang up. This doesn't really affect my attitude about business, I just love helping people, if I'm able to help out a couple of folks during the course of a day, I can go home feeling like I had a good day. You mentioned the folks you speak of being at shows, etc. You know it cost for them to make that appearance at the show. Loading up lots of stuff, paying the cost of that trip, not knowing if it will be profitable. Added expense to make it available means higher parts cost to the customer if the overhead is met & a profit to be shown. I've heard at least 2 vendors say they won't be at Aberdeen this year because it isn't worth it to put out the $$ to show up, crowd has been off in past years, not many people buying. If you are looking to buy reasonable as you put it, these days it isn't likely to be at a show. The bargain basement pricing will be when you travel to get it instead of the seller having to pay to bring it to you for your shoping convenience at a show. 1 vendor told me after last years rally, he likely wouldn't go back, said he hauled most of what he took last year back with him. Different people view it from different angles. I'm sure you do this also in your business.
Charles Talbert
www.mseriesrebuild.com
MSeriesRebuild
1SG
1SG

Re: Transfer case splined thrust washer

Post by MSeriesRebuild »

achiem37 wrote:Charled sounds great . I will send you an email later this week. The splined washer is indeed the one I need for my rebuild. I had already found the input shaft assembly from another susrplus dealer. It appears that mine was driven hard I guess. How are the availability of the output shafts / gear assemblies?. thanks Terry
Terry, I've found that all internal T/case parts are becoming difficult, other than seals & bearings. Gear availability is no longer good.
Charles Talbert
www.mseriesrebuild.com
GERALDO
PFC
PFC

choice of vendors

Post by GERALDO »

I have dealt with most of the vendors in the lower 48 states and several in alaska all are good honest people as Charles stated and I agree with him. BUT SIDNEYS statement about VINTAGE POWERWAGON is very true! I dont buy anything from themthat I can get some where else . in fact I call everyone else before I call them , if I CALL THEM AT ALL! I would like other people to respond to my statements as to their attitude and knowledge of their personnel in the parts dept. Lets give VINTAGE POWERWAGON the respect they deserve.!!
m-37Bruce
1SG
1SG

Re: choice of vendors

Post by m-37Bruce »

GERALDO wrote:I have dealt with most of the vendors in the lower 48 states and several in alaska all are good honest people as Charles stated and I agree with him. BUT SIDNEYS statement about VINTAGE POWERWAGON is very true! I dont buy anything from themthat I can get some where else . in fact I call everyone else before I call them , if I CALL THEM AT ALL! I would like other people to respond to my statements as to their attitude and knowledge of their personnel in the parts dept. Lets give VINTAGE POWERWAGON the respect they deserve.!!
VPW has it's issues, if I cannot deal with Dave Butler or Steve, I don't deal w/'em! As far as bang for your buck, Sid Beck, AB Linn are the go to guys.
Bruce,

1953 M-37 w/ow

Retired Again

Keep Em Rollin'

VMVA