PTO Winch Questions

Discuss fixes, upgrades and modifications to your M37

Moderators: Cal_Gary, T. Highway, Monkey Man, robi

m37_power
CPL
CPL

PTO Winch Questions

Post by m37_power »

I have few questions about the factory Braden PTO winch. What does it take to shear the pin in the winch? I guess i am worried that when i take it off road that if i get stuck and try to use my winch, its just going to shear the pin. I ride with a bunch of guys in Newer Jeeps that i don't see how could pull the dodge out. What is your opinions on this matter? Ive read mixed things while searching on this and that's why I decided to post up and ask. How much can the winch handle? If I am stuck on a hill will it pull me up or just shear the pin? Any help is greatly appreciated.
Tom @ Snake River
SSGT
SSGT

Post by Tom @ Snake River »

The best thing you can do is get "geared up" with winch accessories. Get a good snatch block and get used to useing it, even if you do not think the load needs it.
A good length of chain, and few straps, and even a Pull Pal anchor comes in darn handy.
As far as shear pins, make a bunch up out of 5/16" redi-rod.

Remember if you are out with a bunch of Jeeps, you are the "BIG DADDY", your the one that gets things done. "GIT R DONE"
www.snakeriver4x4.com
M-37's - WC-51 - M-29C - WC-25 cc - CCKW
M-274 - M-101 - G-527 Water Buffalo
G-7117 Chevy
m37_power
CPL
CPL

Post by m37_power »

lol....sounds great to me. ive already bought a couple high lift jacks, straps, chains, snatch blocks and im learning all about reducing the actual load by using pulleys. and yes.....the dodge will be much bigger then most of the jeeps that i will be out with. thanks for your response.
monkeymissile
SSGT
SSGT

Post by monkeymissile »

I think the winch is rated for 7000 or 8000lbs, enough to pull you out in most cases
1953 Dodge M43

Fail often to succeed sooner
Cal_Gary

Post by Cal_Gary »

And using a snatch block gives you 2 to 1 winch capacity; using two snatch blocks gives you 3 to 1, enough to pull most anything, as long as you are sufficiently anchored.
Gary
Cal_Gary
1954 M37 W/W
MVPA Correspondent #28500
Lifer
1SG
1SG

Post by Lifer »

I'm kinda surprised, actually, at the number of people who don't understand the use of snatch blocks. We learned all about pulleys and how they affect the pull:load ratio way back in junior high science class. I graduated from junior high way back in 1958, though, so maybe they don't teach rudimentary mechanical theory in school any more??
"PER ARDUA AD ITER"
Cal_Gary

Post by Cal_Gary »

Very true, Lifer! I wonder if anything at all is being taught in some schools today, much like your "turn the key and aim the car..." post from some time ago where the kids do exactly that to get from point A to B.

Funny, I just picked up an 8-ton WWII snatch block at the swap meet last Friday and it's a heavy sucker (but nothing compared to the 90-ton block I used on my M88A1 back in my Army days....)
Gary
Cal_Gary
1954 M37 W/W
MVPA Correspondent #28500
TOM R
SSGT
SSGT

Post by TOM R »

we carry at least 2 snatch blocks, i get em used at the place i buy my steel from also some old cargo rigging straps to save the trees :wink:
1945 t24/m29 weasel
1946 cj2a ww2 style
1954 m37
mvpa 31698
nra lifer