Winch shifter fork

Discuss fixes, upgrades and modifications to your M37

Moderators: Cal_Gary, T. Highway, Monkey Man, robi

Gerry
MSGT
MSGT

Winch shifter fork

Post by Gerry »

Went to remove shifter shaft from fork and couldnt find a set screw. Looks like the hole was welded. Has anyone seen this?
Thanks,
Gerry

53 M37
chicklin
PFC
PFC

Re: Winch shifter fork

Post by chicklin »

Gerry wrote:Went to remove shifter shaft from fork and couldnt find a set screw. Looks like the hole was welded. Has anyone seen this?
Thanks,
By "hole" do you mean the notch in the shifter shaft or the threaded hole in the fork? Either way, if one of them is filled, maybe somebody sheared the set screw trying to disengage the winch. Those clutches can get stuck on the shaft pretty bad if they sit dry for a long time or get water in them and rust.
Gerry
MSGT
MSGT

Post by Gerry »

On the fork itself where the set screw goes. I cant find a set screw. It looks solid.
Thanks,
Gerry

53 M37
chicklin
PFC
PFC

Post by chicklin »

Gerry wrote:On the fork itself where the set screw goes. I cant find a set screw. It looks solid.
Thanks,
Strange. What would keep the shifter shaft from just rotating inside the fork? Was this ever working for you?
Gerry
MSGT
MSGT

Post by Gerry »

just bought it. I was thinking maybe a rod wasput in to replace the set screw and welded in place
Gerry

53 M37
chicklin
PFC
PFC

Post by chicklin »

Gerry wrote:just bought it. I was thinking maybe a rod wasput in to replace the set screw and welded in place
Maybe, but I'm not sure how you'd get it off the shifter without shearing the rod (which may have been done by the PO). On mine, at least, there was a set screw in the fork and a notch in the shifter shaft where the set screw locked into place so the fork couldn't move.

Does yours have the notch in the shaft? If so, and if there really is no screw in the fork, I'd say drill and tap it and put in a new screw.
Gerry
MSGT
MSGT

Post by Gerry »

I have to grind out the weld. I assume there is a notch. I think a rod or something is in the notch being held by the weld. Will work on it again on sat.
Gerry

53 M37