Regulator cable question.

Discuss fixes, upgrades and modifications to your M37

Moderators: Cal_Gary, T. Highway, Monkey Man, robi

HingsingM37
1SG
1SG

Regulator cable question.

Post by HingsingM37 »

My old regulator output cable had two wires. The cable to the starter #4 and the smaller hot wire #10 to power the wire harness. I have a new regulator cable from a different MV. It only has the single cable #4 from the regulator output to the starter. Can I use this if I run a seperate hot wire from the starter to the cab breakers? :? Seems to me it should work but am I missing something?
David
HingsingM37
1958 M37B1
1968 M101A1 Trailer
MVPA# 33078

"Do Not Take Counsel of Your Fears"
General George S. Patton Jr.

"Those who pound their guns into plows, will plow for those who do not".
MSeriesRebuild
1SG
1SG

Re: Regulator cable question.

Post by MSeriesRebuild »

HingsingM37 wrote:My old regulator output cable had two wires. The cable to the starter #4 and the smaller hot wire #10 to power the wire harness. I have a new regulator cable from a different MV. It only has the single cable #4 from the regulator output to the starter. Can I use this if I run a seperate hot wire from the starter to the cab breakers? :? Seems to me it should work but am I missing something?
What you are suggesting will work just fine, the only issue I see is to be certain the wire guage is the same size or larger than the #10 wire in your original harness. Definitely no smaller than a 10 guage, I think I would prefer an 8 guage. Cable with very fine stranded conductors as found in welding cable are much more flexible & easier to work with, & will carry significantly more current than common stranded primary wire.
Charles Talbert
www.mseriesrebuild.com
HingsingM37
1SG
1SG

Post by HingsingM37 »

Thank you Charles :)
David
HingsingM37
1958 M37B1
1968 M101A1 Trailer
MVPA# 33078

HingsingM37
1SG
1SG

Post by HingsingM37 »

The cable worked fine. I had to shorten it as the harness I am parting out the #4 wire was about 6 feet long and split off with a molded splice with a lead that continued into the harness. I wonder what truck this harness fit? It has Douglas connectors with 14 GA GE plastic coated wire? Zip ties under the electrical tape as well.
David
HingsingM37
1958 M37B1
1968 M101A1 Trailer
MVPA# 33078