winch cable size and rating?

Discuss fixes, upgrades and modifications to your M37

Moderators: Cal_Gary, T. Highway, Monkey Man, robi

m37_power
CPL
CPL

winch cable size and rating?

Post by m37_power »

I have the Braden LU-4, PTO operated, 7500lb capacity on my m37. My question is will my new warn cable i bought for my 9000lb warn winch on my jeep work on this winch? I just cant believe that the cable is only rated at 7500 lbs. Thanks in advance.
Paul in Kempner, TX
PFC
PFC

It's not about the cable...

Post by Paul in Kempner, TX »

The rated winch capacity is based on everything involved with making the cable spool turn before there's a pull on the cable. The engine horsepower, the strength of the PTO, the winch drive shafts, the drive shaft "U" joints, the internal gears of the winch, and the PROTECTIVE shear pin.

Your LU-4 is protected from operating damage by a shear pin that should be engineered to shear at around 7,500 lb load long before snapping the cable. Before you use the winch, you should check to see that the proper shear pin is installed. I never heard of someone being cut in half by a failed shear pin, but snapped cables have caused many injuries and deaths.

The rated winch capacities of the MU-2 winch on the Power Wagon series changed as the rated engine horsepower increased. At one point, the size of the shear pin was increased. Over the years, winch capacities changed from 7,500 lb to 10,000 lb as a result with few other changes.
Paul Cook at the Kempner Power Wagon Museum MVPA#27246

"You have to GO BUY the book before you can GO BY the book."
MSeriesRebuild
1SG
1SG

Re: winch cable size and rating?

Post by MSeriesRebuild »

m37_power wrote:I have the Braden LU-4, PTO operated, 7500lb capacity on my m37. My question is will my new warn cable i bought for my 9000lb warn winch on my jeep work on this winch? I just cant believe that the cable is only rated at 7500 lbs. Thanks in advance.
The cable diameter is 7/16", length 150'. This is the stock size. We always use 1/2" diameter 6X37 cable at 175'. 6X37 simply means the rope is made up of 6 small cables with 37 small wires making up each one. We also don't use anything except cable with an IWRC, independant wire rope center. Hemp center cable is available also, poor quality & not nearly as strong. It is typically a 6X19 make up, some like the hemp center saying its more flexible. The 6X37 cable with a wire rope center is just as flexible because of the smaller guage wires its made from.
Charles Talbert
www.mseriesrebuild.com
m37_power
CPL
CPL

Post by m37_power »

where can i get that cable from? thanks for the responses too. i need all the help i can get.
MSeriesRebuild
1SG
1SG

Post by MSeriesRebuild »

m37_power wrote:where can i get that cable from? thanks for the responses too. i need all the help i can get.
Our supplier is Certex-Superior in Charlotte, NC. They have branches all over the country, especially in the south east serving the petroleum industry. They can supply all you will need.
Charles Talbert
www.mseriesrebuild.com