Discuss fixes, upgrades and modifications to your M37

Moderators: Cal_Gary, T. Highway, Monkey Man, robi

Nickathome
1SG
1SG

Seal

Post by Nickathome »

knattrass wrote:Indy Dave -

Our frame had filled with water, froze, and split wide open along the bottom seam. After we heat-n-beat it back into shape, we did the same thing you did. We applied a thin coat of w/s seal adhesive to the frame, affixed the seal and installed the flat metal retainer with s/s screws. Nick is right, there is not enough flex in the seal to kiss against the cowl. In fact, we took the whole thing apart, reversed the seal, and made it worse. We took a chunk of round closed cell foam from H/D and slipped it underneath the w/s to seal the air blowing in. No rain for us but it amazing to think that seal is so far off.
In my situation, I had removed the windshield completely in order to weld up the rot that was underneath the windshield on the cowl. That and the cancer that was at both windshield attachment points. When I reinstalled the windshield it must've been slightly off. Thats what I think caused my seal to not mate up all the way. Again my truck is garaged so I don't worry too much about the seal not mating up all the way.
refit1701
1SG
1SG

Post by refit1701 »

Mine was almost missing the last two inches on the bottom. Rusted to nothing. I got another frame from one of our esteemed members here and am working on that.

I have the old rusted one here and I keep saying I am gonna cut the brackets off of it to save when I junk the frame.
-John
Member of Dixie Division MVC

1953 USAF M37 wow, restored
1962 M151 Ford Production, on the rotisserie now
1953 USMC M37 w/w -in storage
1942 M6 Bomb Service Truck (sold to UK collector)
1967 M116A1 Pioneer Trailer
1968 M101A1 Trailer
S-89 Comm box
djester
PFC
PFC

Post by djester »

From the comments it sounds like a common problem. OK, Charles, seems like it is time for you to come in and help us all out with a fix. Surely you have run into this problem many times. :D

Dave
M37
M151
'85 El Camino
Nickathome
1SG
1SG

Post by Nickathome »

djester wrote:From the comments it sounds like a common problem. OK, Charles, seems like it is time for you to come in and help us all out with a fix. Surely you have run into this problem many times. :D

Dave
from what I understand this is a very common problem with these trucks, same as the rot that most unrestored trucks have under the headlights.
m-37Bruce
1SG
1SG

Holes

Post by m-37Bruce »

However many holes are in the bottom of the frame itself, I'll try and count 'em today sometime?
Glad I Could Help,
Bruce,

1953 M-37 w/ow

Retired Again

Keep Em Rollin'

VMVA
m-37Bruce
1SG
1SG

Good Idea

Post by m-37Bruce »

refit1701 wrote:Mine was almost missing the last two inches on the bottom. Rusted to nothing. I got another frame from one of our esteemed members here and am working on that.

I have the old rusted one here and I keep saying I am gonna cut the brackets off of it to save when I junk the frame.
I was wondering how it was coming along? Saving parts/components is a good idea, they don't make 'em any more!
Bruce,

1953 M-37 w/ow

Retired Again

Keep Em Rollin'

VMVA
refit1701
1SG
1SG

Post by refit1701 »

I've sanded on the frame and then set it aside for the brake work. When I get ready to paint the cab, I'll get the frame ready to paint too.

It goes slowly..... :)
-John
Member of Dixie Division MVC

1953 USAF M37 wow, restored
1962 M151 Ford Production, on the rotisserie now
1953 USMC M37 w/w -in storage
1942 M6 Bomb Service Truck (sold to UK collector)
1967 M116A1 Pioneer Trailer
1968 M101A1 Trailer
S-89 Comm box
DAP
SSGT
SSGT

I welded mine

Post by DAP »

I wrapped the bottom with steel and welded it all up. Then cut out one window (I had already removed center post and tilt out arm brackets). I have better visibility and no water leaks in rain.