Do any other wheels fit a 52 M37?

Discuss fixes, upgrades and modifications to your M37

Moderators: Cal_Gary, T. Highway, Monkey Man, robi

m37_power
CPL
CPL

Do any other wheels fit a 52 M37?

Post by m37_power »

I would like to have more options for tires as I am sure everyone would. My question is, do any other wheels fit the M37? I appreciate any help I can get. Thanks in advance
Nickathome
1SG
1SG

Tires

Post by Nickathome »

As to tires, yes there are alot of options there besides NDT's. There are several different tread patterns that are made in a 9.00 X 16. As to Wheels(aka rims), I'm not sure about that one......
m37_power
CPL
CPL

Post by m37_power »

I wish there was a tire list of whats avail right now. I know there are alot of threads on here for tires, but most of them are outdated, IE....tires arent being made...etc. What tires are avail for the M37?
Juan
SGT
SGT

Post by Juan »

Any radial that comes in 315-75-16 will work in your stock rim, except the BF Goodrichs that have a protection lip that don't let it work with the stock rims.
Yokohama Geolandars M/t or A/t are good choices.
Juan Castro
Buenos Aires
Argentina
anthony manzella
SSGT
SSGT

B F GOODRICH

Post by anthony manzella »

ARE ON MINE WITH NO ISSUE [ MUD / TERRAIN ] ON SPLIT RIMS ! CHECK OUT MY PICS IN PHOTO GALERY 8) I HAVE USED IT ON MANY OF TRIPS OF 85 MILES ROUND TRIP ! :wink:
Hit Duh Ground Runnin
m-37Bruce
1SG
1SG

Here's My Wrangler's

Post by m-37Bruce »

36 X 16.5 Wrangler R/T's

[URL=http://news.webshots.com/photo/107 ... .jpg[/img][/url]
Da rear.........

[URL=http://news.webshots.com/photo/133 ... .jpg[/img][/url]

Da front..........
Bruce,

1953 M-37 w/ow

Retired Again

Keep Em Rollin'

VMVA
mattveeder
CPL
CPL

Post by mattveeder »

Wheels from a ford model aa truck will work. They are 20 inch wheels. They are also split or budd wheels. You can run the duce tires on them which you can get cheap. I would never tell someone that what they are doing is wrong but it is never a good idea to put 16.5 tires on a 16 wheel. Ask charles from mseries rebuild about wheel and tire choices he is an expert.
m-37Bruce
1SG
1SG

Post by m-37Bruce »

Charles goes crazy when he sees my wheel/rim combo. They have been mounted almost ten years and 1,200 miles now!
Bruce,

1953 M-37 w/ow

Retired Again

Keep Em Rollin'

VMVA
Juan
SGT
SGT

Re: B F GOODRICH

Post by Juan »

anthony manzella wrote:ARE ON MINE WITH NO ISSUE [ MUD / TERRAIN ] ON SPLIT RIMS ! CHECK OUT MY PICS IN PHOTO GALERY 8) I HAVE USED IT ON MANY OF TRIPS OF 85 MILES ROUND TRIP ! :wink:
Old BfGoodrichs (before 2005) didn't have the rim protection lip wich allowed to mount the tires on the stock rims.
Newer (they called them KM or KO depending on the tread) has that damned lip that makes unsafe to mount on the stock rim. I've tried to see the fit and didn't have the guts to drive on one of those.
It kept the tire away from the lock ring, cause the Budd lock ring is too wide. Had to made some custom wheels with the budd centers. Good thing is that I got rid of the tubes and the ride is way better than the bias ply PowerKing SuperTractions I had before.
You can see that dammed lip right to the rim edge in this picture.
Looks though that the Mud terrain 2 KM 2 don't have those lips.

http://www.tirerack.com/tires/BigPic.js ... es&place=0
Juan Castro
Buenos Aires
Argentina
Lifer
1SG
1SG

Post by Lifer »

mattveeder wrote:Wheels from a ford model aa truck will work. They are 20 inch wheels. They are also split or budd wheels. You can run the duce tires on them which you can get cheap.
The old Ford (Budd) rims will fit the bolt pattern and are, indeed 20" diameter, but I would not use them. For one thing, they are a true 3-piece "split rim." The main rim has a separate solid outer flange ("split rim") which is retained by a lock ring that snaps into a groove on the main rim. They have been known to come "unglued" with disastrous results when serviced by inexperienced technicians.

I would also not recommend using deuce tires on them because they are too narrow. The stock size for a Ford AA truck was 5.70x20 (standard) or 7.00x20 (heavy duty). A stock deuce tire would be too wide to seat properly, thus increasing the likelihood of explosive separation during inflation.

The stock rims are good. Use them!
"PER ARDUA AD ITER"
k8icu
1SG
1SG

Post by k8icu »

One could use the combat rims from a WWII WC...and if you do people will think you have beadlocks...:lol:

I believe Marsh wheels will custom make a set that will fit the M37s bolt pattern. This way you can get a tubless tire set up if one wants it.
M37s are HMMWV in my world!
MSeriesRebuild
1SG
1SG

Post by MSeriesRebuild »

mattveeder wrote:Wheels from a ford model aa truck will work. They are 20 inch wheels. They are also split or budd wheels. You can run the duce tires on them which you can get cheap. I would never tell someone that what they are doing is wrong but it is never a good idea to put 16.5 tires on a 16 wheel. Ask charles from mseries rebuild about wheel and tire choices he is an expert.
No I'm no tire expert. I do have lots of tire experience in dealing with large tires, construction equipment & trucks. One has to study hard to keep up with tire data these days, things in that business change rapidly.
Charles Talbert
www.mseriesrebuild.com
MSeriesRebuild
1SG
1SG

Post by MSeriesRebuild »

m-37Bruce wrote:Charles goes crazy when he sees my wheel/rim combo. They have been mounted almost ten years and 1,200 miles now!
I'm not crazy on you Bruce, I don't recall ever seeing your tires until now although I assume the subject must have come up at sometime. If you are running a 16.5" tire on a 16" rim, you are taking a huge risk. I for one don't want to be anywhere near your truck for that reason. Here's why, back in '77 or '78, I had a good friend, in the grading business also. Left 2 employees changing some truck tires while he ran to the bank. Back in a few minutes he walked into the shop & was looking at the tires they had already mounted & put back on a dump truck. After standing there for a few seconds, he said & I quote; "something just don't look quite right about that rim." Those were the last words he ever spoke as the lock ring was forced off the rim killing him instantly in his tracks. The guys who mounted the tire are still living with what they witnessed that day. No sir, I want no part of mounting 16.5" tires on a 16" rim, that one can remain all yours. I venture to say it's likely stamped right on the side wall of your tires that they are not to be mounted on a 16" rim. I'm not going crazy, I just don't understand anyone pushing their luck & risking their life in such a fashion, it's a death wish in my opinion.
Charles Talbert
www.mseriesrebuild.com
m37_power
CPL
CPL

Post by m37_power »

i appreciate all the help.....i wasnt aware of the 315-75-16 tire size that would work. That give me a some other options. Thanks again to all that pitched in.
ffr1910
PVT
PVT

Post by ffr1910 »

I have 16.5" humvee wheels on my truck. They have the centers plasma cut out of them with new centers welded in. I am running super swamper boggers. not original by any means, but work great all around. Also include the oringinal magnesium run flat inserts.

Bill