NV4500 Slip Yoke and Bell Housing Questions

Discuss fixes, upgrades and modifications to your M37

Moderators: Cal_Gary, T. Highway, Monkey Man, robi

SierraM37
PFC
PFC

NV4500 Slip Yoke and Bell Housing Questions

Post by SierraM37 »

My M already had a 318 swap, so now I'm mating an NV4500 up to it. It's the 2WD Dodge version with a 30 spline output shaft. Can I just buy any 30 spline slip yoke and mate it up to the NP200 flange? Is there a specific U joint I have to make sure it is compatible with?

For the Bell housing and clutch setup, I got a factory 318 BH that mates up to the NV4500. Is that the correct one or do I need some kind of adapter? What about the hydraulic clutch setup - What parts are needed from flywheel to clutch plate to pilot bushing to slave and master clutch cylinders?

Thanks in advance gang. Finally gettin' some good rain and snow out here in Northern California. Wish it would bury the state capital and all the slimy inhabitants!
Todd
'52 M37 W/W
'52 M37 WOW
'01 Dodge Durango
'07 Jeep Rubicon (JK)
oldstuff
PVT
PVT

Post by oldstuff »

I'd start at a good auto parts store. Take your M37 yoke with you. A good parts man can help you sort through the u-joint issue. There are u-joint cross shafts that have two different size bearings on the same piece, if needed. Same parts man can help with the throwout bearing / master-slave clutch setup. Sounds like you have the right bellhousing.
Ray
M37 Body onto 90 Dodge 4x4 3/4 ton w/Cummins, in progress.
SierraM37
PFC
PFC

Post by SierraM37 »

Thanks Ray - My favorite parts store didn't want to touch the yoke issue so I'll have to find another source for that but good info that I didn't have.

The Clutch setup is secondary because it's a costlier and more complicated - Parts store can help there but also watching the pennies.
Todd
'52 M37 W/W
'52 M37 WOW
'01 Dodge Durango
'07 Jeep Rubicon (JK)
W_A_Watson_II
SFC
SFC

Post by W_A_Watson_II »

I believe that the NV4500 is about 8" longer than my NP435, that would make your intermediate shaft close to 4" U-Joint to U-Joint. Were you able to get the V-8 shifted for enough to the driver side or the transfercase shifted to the passenger side to allow that close a coupling?
Thanks,
Will
1946 Dodge Power Wagon
1953 Dodge M37 - "Frankenstein"
My 1953 Dodge M37 WEB Site
SierraM37
PFC
PFC

4" is Correct

Post by SierraM37 »

That's right William - I have 4" from where the transfer case sits now. I intend to shift the transfer case rearward, I suspect a few inches to accomodate. Rear driveline angle is about 20 degree's now with the reworked springs so I'm concerned about a higher angel when it start shirting components around. I still have to fab a x member for the NV4500 and consider the front shaft. I have not shifted off axis the engine or transfrer.
Todd
'52 M37 W/W
'52 M37 WOW
'01 Dodge Durango
'07 Jeep Rubicon (JK)
Josh
SFC
SFC

Post by Josh »

Why not go get a early 90's married NP205 and a 4x4 Dodge version of the NV4500 and marry the two together? You'll end up with a lighter, stronger drivetrain package and better driveshaft angles.
SierraM37
PFC
PFC

Perfect World

Post by SierraM37 »

In a perfect world, that's what I would do. I already have the NP200, the NV4500 and the slip yoke would cost around $50-$75 u joint not included. I can't afford to splurge on what would likely be atleast $1500 worth of drivetrain gear right now.

One shop told me that front and rear drive line angles need to be very closely matched - He couldn't tell me why, just that he'd heard it. any truth to this? If I move the NP200 rear, the rear angle increases and the front angle decreases.
Todd
'52 M37 W/W
'52 M37 WOW
'01 Dodge Durango
'07 Jeep Rubicon (JK)
SierraM37
PFC
PFC

And I'd add the 4BT

Post by SierraM37 »

I'd also add the 4BT like you are in the process of doing. Economic's do not favor large spends for me. I'm already looking to get a cow to keep my 3 kid's in milk!
Todd
'52 M37 W/W
'52 M37 WOW
'01 Dodge Durango
'07 Jeep Rubicon (JK)
Josh
SFC
SFC

Post by Josh »

I figured cost was the limiter (it always is!) but I wanted to make sure you had thought of it.

Driveshaft angles front and rear dont have to match, just the angle between the drive flanges on the same shaft: I.E. the pinion yoke has to be at 9* if the t-case yoke is at 9*.

My only concern is that you're going to have a ahrd time making a 4" long slip shaft with two U joints in it, and I sure wouldnt try it with one, you're asking for problems then.

On a side note, plans have changed on the diesel (AGAIN!)... I'm back to a twin turbo big block, as I've found a screaming deal on a 400 big block.
SierraM37
PFC
PFC

Hmmmm

Post by SierraM37 »

The double U joints is the issue. That moves the xfr case further back - Not ideal. If I went with a single u joint, the tranny/xfr would have to be perfectly aligned horiziontally and vertically correct?

I may have a bead on an inexpensive original NP420 with PTO - that may be an alternative unitl I can afford to do this properly. When I got the truck, it had the 318 and NP540 in it but the 540 was trashed so it's gone. Any mating problems with the 420 and the 318?

The NV4500 is a rebuilt late 90's version so it's worth something if I have to sell it.
Todd
'52 M37 W/W
'52 M37 WOW
'01 Dodge Durango
'07 Jeep Rubicon (JK)
Josh
SFC
SFC

Post by Josh »

you're right, a single U joint would cause issues, as there would be two planes, instead of a single plane, which would at teh least induce vibration... at the worst, and most likely, it would cause premature bearing failure as well as shaft and joint fatigue as things would not be able to flex properly. I recommend selling your 2WD 4500, or, converting it to a 4x4 version. the 540 is a nice trans, but, as you discovered, it is difficult to get parts for. I would try to find a 2wd NP435, it should be cheap and easy to find, and will bolt right to your 318 BH. the 420 will not, at least not without some pretty severe modification, as the 420 has a different bolt pattern, as well as pilot bearing, shaft length, and clutch differences. I have a 2WD NP435 that I am wiling to get rid of if you are interested. It is the rare long tailshaft version, so I am not sure if it is short enough for you or not with the stock case. I can take measurements if you are interested. I had it in my truck, but I also swapped to a divorced 205 T case. and used the stock 60's dodge stub shaft between them.