Discuss fixes, upgrades and modifications to your M37

Moderators: Cal_Gary, T. Highway, Monkey Man, robi

powerwagontim
SFC
SFC

Gas tank cleaning

Post by powerwagontim »

Hi All,
The fuel tank on my M37 isnt in too horrible shape, but has more gunk, rust, sediment in the bottom than I am wanting to stay. I have had good luck with Bill Hirsch tank sealer but need to clean it out first. I could clean out the center section fine, but the areas on the other side of the baffles are out of reach. The gas tank on my 57 W-100 was so gunked up I cut a large section out of the top to get access. I would rather not do that to this tank. I am not going to send it out to Gas tank renu.
I am interested in other ideas on how you have cleaned out your tanks.
Here is my current thought. Build a clamping fixture to attach the tank to the end of my cement mixer, held skewed to the end of the mixer to provide an oscilating action. Then put a couple of quarts of gravel in it and let it spin for a couple of days. Any thoughts?
Thanks,
Tim
m-37Bruce
1SG
1SG

Post by m-37Bruce »

I wouldn't use gravel, maybe a couple 2 foot lengths of chain and some minerial spirits or another solvent of your choice?
Two days is to much, maybe just a good shaking every couple of hours for a few days?
Bruce,

1953 M-37 w/ow

Retired Again

Keep Em Rollin'

VMVA
k8icu
1SG
1SG

Post by k8icu »

And wear ear plugs... :)

Actually some people have used electrollisis (sp?) to clean gas tanks. If you do a web search you will find some information. I know the M715zone.com had a discussion about that about a year ago.

The other thing you might consider is seeing if your local radiator repair shop will tank it for you. Many small shops will do that an only charge you a few dollars to have it done. Just another option.
M37s are HMMWV in my world!
Franz©
PVT
PVT

Post by Franz© »

Broken automotive side window glass is the best medium for cleaning gas tanks. Far superior to gravel, and easy to come by from a car going to the scrap heap.
Josh
SFC
SFC

Post by Josh »

good idea Franz. It's also inert, if you happen to forget a few pieces in there. Id wrap a few plates up in a heet, then bust them... would be easier then trying to pick it up off the ground broken.

I worked in a body shop, those little chards are sharp!
mattveeder
CPL
CPL

Post by mattveeder »

Broken windows (automotive cause of the pressure glass is the best) and simple green works great. Then followed by the eastwood tank kits have worked great for me over the years.
Franz©
PVT
PVT

Post by Franz© »

Josh wrote:good idea Franz. It's also inert, if you happen to forget a few pieces in there. Id wrap a few plates up in a heet, then bust them... would be easier then trying to pick it up off the ground broken.

I worked in a body shop, those little chards are sharp!
Plastic tarp & a few giant spring clothespin clamps work well on Chevy Blazer, Ford Exploder and most hatchbacks. Same tarp and clamps work pretty well on most car doors too. I use the convenient glass cubes in a concrete mixer for a lot of things.
Add walnut shells or ground corncob if you want a nicer finish and less noise. I don't recommend them in tanks though.