Put a single wire alternator on my PE95 genset yesterday

Discuss all non M37 related issues here

Moderators: Cal_Gary, T. Highway, Monkey Man, robi

Carter
1SG
1SG

Put a single wire alternator on my PE95 genset yesterday

Post by Carter »

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I replaced the orig. battery charging system, which used the generator sets exciter windings, 2 resistors to lower the 24V to 12V and a cutout as a voltage regulator to charge the batteries, with a Delco 100 amp single wire alt. The orig. system over charged the batteries and after trying to adjust the cutout and not having much success I decided to eliminate the problem altogether. The alternator is mounted where the fan belt idler pulley and bracket was located and now works flawlessly. After removing the idler I found it wasn't long for this world as the bearings were rough and noisy when spun by hand and would have most likely failed at the worst possible moment, when electric power was out and the set was really needed.
Thanks for looking. Carter
http://news.webshots.com/photo/27727635 ... 7451EaQPRg
Carter
Life Member:
Delta, Peach Bottom Fish & Game Assn.
Cal_Gary

Post by Cal_Gary »

Nice, Carter! I run that exact alternator on my M37 since it's a 12v system. I like the simplicity of the single-post.

If anyone is wondering what make/model, the alternator fits a 1984 Chevy C-20 truck (60 amp)....
Gary
Cal_Gary
1954 M37 W/W
MVPA Correspondent #28500
m-37Bruce
1SG
1SG

Same Here

Post by m-37Bruce »

Say Carter, where's your extinguisher? :lol:
Bruce,

1953 M-37 w/ow

Retired Again

Keep Em Rollin'

VMVA
Carter
1SG
1SG

Re: Same Here

Post by Carter »

m-37Bruce wrote:Say Carter, where's your extinguisher? :lol:
This one?

I cleaned and polished it and don't keep it mounted on the set that sits in my garage next to my truck where it can tarnish but have it stored in my gun shop in a temperature and humidity controlled enviornment and only put it in the mount for show and since the generator and trailer don't get shown much it stays put away. I have a 5# ABC extinguisher mounted on the outside of the trailer where if I do have a fire I will be able to get to it without reaching into a burning generator and trailer. The ABC ext. is a lot safer than the Carbon-Tetrachloride one that produces fumes that will kill you, or me. :(
Carter
Life Member:
Carter
1SG
1SG

Post by Carter »

Cal_Gary wrote:Nice, Carter! I run that exact alternator on my M37 since it's a 12v system. I like the simplicity of the single-post.

If anyone is wondering what make/model, the alternator fits a 1984 Chevy C-20 truck (60 amp)....
Gary
On another forum that I posted about the alternator install I was ask about the orig. application and I had no idea as it was given to me by Ralph as part of my engine rebuild for him so I copied the info you provided and posted it but didn't claim it as my own. I'm not that smart. :oops:
Thanks Gary.
Carter
Life Member:
Cal_Gary

Post by Cal_Gary »

Well Carter, that's just another great thing about this forum-everyone is honest! You are welcome my friend!
Gary
Cal_Gary
1954 M37 W/W
MVPA Correspondent #28500