engine swap

Discuss fixes, upgrades and modifications to your M37

Moderators: Cal_Gary, T. Highway, Monkey Man, robi

vinkon3775
PVT
PVT

engine swap

Post by vinkon3775 »

Has anybody tried swapping aford smallblock complete with np435 grannytranny into the m37? My stock 230 is getting pretty weak and i'm trying to decide what direction to go in. I ask about the ford setup because i have more access to ford used parts. I have pretty good fabrication skills so that's not a problem.
Firefighters still make house calls.
k8icu
1SG
1SG

Post by k8icu »

I would think that is a 318 chysler fits into the M37 and the 4BT cummins can fit then I would think a 351 Cleveland or what was the smaller one the 308? would fit with out too much fuss. You biggest thing will be the length from the output of the transmission to the transfer case. I would think that you will need to do some messuring before you pull the old engine and trans and install the new. Anything an be made to fit if you have enough time and money....but I would think if you have good fabrication skills and the right tools I would think it would be a straight forward instulation.
M37s are HMMWV in my world!
Tom @ Snake River
SSGT
SSGT

Post by Tom @ Snake River »

As long as you were doing a swap, I would sure consider dropping in a setup with a married transfer.
That is the one thing I hated was trying to couple up to the existing transfer case.
www.snakeriver4x4.com
M-37's - WC-51 - M-29C - WC-25 cc - CCKW
M-274 - M-101 - G-527 Water Buffalo
G-7117 Chevy
vinkon3775
PVT
PVT

engine swap

Post by vinkon3775 »

Thank's for the opinions guys. one thing about a married transfer case, won't the rear driveline angle be a problem?
Cal_Gary

Post by Cal_Gary »

I believe they make mating adaptors that allow you to rotate the case so you don't have those extreme shaft angles-I saw this on "Trucks" a while back.
Gary
Cal_Gary
1954 M37 W/W
MVPA Correspondent #28500
vinkon3775
PVT
PVT

engine swap

Post by vinkon3775 »

thanks for the input. i'll have to look into the married transfer case idea.
bubba_got_you
SGT
SGT

Post by bubba_got_you »

I had a dodge dump truck transmission on my 318 and I didn’t change it to the m37 transmission and the only problem I ran in to was mating the tranny to the t-case. Simply because the transmission used a spline that was made to join at the u-joint and not bolt together, But the tranny spline was built to have an e-brake so all I did was cut the u-bolt part off so it only had the flat part where the e-break bolted on. So I welded up the original holes and drilled new ones and it works fine.
The point behind what I am saying is that it can be done and you should try to keep the original np200 t-case simply because it is the best t-case you can get for under $1000.
I know this because I live in Florida (the mud truck state) and I have seen people pay as much as $800 for a np200 to put in there mud trucks where as you cant give the others away.
Just my thoughts,
Trevor
May God grant me with the serenity to accept the things I cannot shoot, The ability to shoot the things I can and a place to hide the bodies
vinkon3775
PVT
PVT

engine swap

Post by vinkon3775 »

the original plan was to use uglytruckling's kit to swap in a 318 and keep the original tranny. i'm leaning towards the ford small block/435 tranny just to keep it simple in terms of being able to mate the tranny to the engine. it's kinda hard to find good used dodge parts around here, hence the idea to go all ford. plus they're not making the adapter kit any more. i know in past experiences that the 435 is a pretty good tranny.thank's for the suggestion though and i do appreciate your input.
k8icu
1SG
1SG

Re: engine swap

Post by k8icu »

vinkon3775 wrote: hence the idea to go all ford.
Is that leagel?... ;) I think some pureist will have problems with ford parts in a dodge... lol.

I'm just yanking the old chain there....It sounds like a good idea since I believe you said you have the ford engine and trans already so that will keep the cost down. You may have some issues with maiting the trans to the drive shaft of to the transfer case unless you are going to swap in a bolt on transfer case like a NP208 maybe. Problem with ford transfer cases is that they front output on the drivers side where as the dodge is on the passinger side. Just something to keep in mind.
M37s are HMMWV in my world!
vinkon3775
PVT
PVT

engine swap

Post by vinkon3775 »

luckily i still have some time left to make a decision. heck i'd even consider chevy parts if they seem to work better. idealy a deisel swap would be best, but i'm looking at money limitations and i'm more familiar with gasoline engines. and your right, i'm not a purist. i want to leave the look of the truck but update it a little.