transfer case

Buy and sell M37 and related stuff

Moderators: Cal_Gary, T. Highway, Monkey Man, robi

Forum rules
Your Location must be included in your advertisement or it may removed without notice.
steved
CPL
CPL

Post by steved »

I forgot I was talking to people with bottomless pockets...go ahead, pay that freight.

You'd think I fell of the turnip truck yesterday...sorry I tried to help, it won't happen again.
Cal_Gary

Post by Cal_Gary »

Easy Gents,
I recognize all who've posted on this topic are trying to help in their own way. The message appears to be to exercise caution when shipping-even though it's a massive transfer case it must be handled with some delicacy or could end up with a cracked casing or some other disaster in transit-no good for the shipper or the receiver.

Safe to say that we don't all have bottomless pockets-that's why I'm 4 years + into mine and still not yet on the road. If we did, Charles Talbert or John Bizal or Sid Beck would have a line of vehicles at their shops waiting for their frame off restorations including, diesel, disk brakes, power steering, and blank checks from the owners to work with.
Gary
Cal_Gary
1954 M37 W/W
MVPA Correspondent #28500
knattrass
SFC
SFC

Post by knattrass »

Very familiar with FedEx and there is a conveyor at the depot that goes around a corner in GA that will bend anything over 64" - don't ask. There is no way my guy/local depot would accept something that heavy for regular shipment. Up here, the only way (weigh) to ship is on a palletized load. The most critical factor is not the strength of the box but to not let the item rattle inside of it causing damage from inside. So, wrap 'em tight and wrap 'em often as the old saying goes!
MSeriesRebuild
1SG
1SG

Post by MSeriesRebuild »

This is precisely the reason I said anything in this thread at all. The shipper is the one who ends up hurting if good intentions go wrong. Naturally the recipient will not accept a damaged shipment, things then revert back to the shipper who pays to get the item returned & takes the beating for the repair/loss of the item. It's not that we have bottomless pockets, it's that we don't want them to become empty because of taking stupid risk. If I can't ship to a customer in a fashion so I believe he will receive undamaged goods, I simply forgo the sale, not worth the time & trouble. I will never just throw something in a box & then try to blame the carrier for damage that my negligent packaging caused, I don't do business that way. Some folks don't understand common sense practices, however most do come to a clear understanding once their clock is really cleaned well.
Charles Talbert
www.mseriesrebuild.com
rixm37
MSGT
MSGT

Post by rixm37 »

I can attest to what Charles says. I just recieved a complete engine and transmission shipped from his shop to my garage in Tucson. It arrived in perfect condition all 800 pounds. But it was on a wooden cradle on top a of a pallet and completely boxed in chipboard and a 2x4 frame. Being on a pallet is important as the trucker can use a pallet jack and roll that 800 lbs around like nothing. I can't imagine not going to all efforts to protect your shippment.
I had a friend who shipped a Fiat car door he sold via UPS and even though he wrapped it in cardboard and bubble wrap the door was badly damaged and the buyer refused shipment ouch!!
1952 M37
M101 trailer
1942 Chevy G506