Carb rebuild kit?

Discuss fixes, upgrades and modifications to your M37

Moderators: Cal_Gary, T. Highway, Monkey Man, robi

steved
CPL
CPL

Carb rebuild kit?

Post by steved »

Is there a source for a new rebuild kit for the carb?

Mine has been dry for long enough that the gas has turned to varnish in the fuel tank (have not pull the carb apart yet).

I have a NOS rebuild for the fuel pump, not sure if it is worth the hassle of 30+ year old parts?
Drew M.
CPL
CPL

Carb Kit

Post by Drew M. »

M37 - 230 Engine-Carter B&B ETW1 - Kit# AFLA 2049M - NAPA

Carburetor Rebuilding Service - DaytonaParts.com ($225.00 for BB)
- from Vaughn's list ("Everything Vaughn") on the web.

NOS is out there too - I got a spare kit from Sid Beck/Ace Surplus.
steved
CPL
CPL

Post by steved »

The local Napa told me that number was no good, they couldn't even cross the ETW-1. He told me the number should be an EBT-x or something like that...

I called another place, they found a B&B listed for the 1953 dodge, I assume a B&B is a B&B? They didn't show any ETW-1 specifically, just the B&B. For $20, I'll see if it works.
steved
CPL
CPL

Post by steved »

Would you trust a NOS kit? I'd rather spend money with AB Linn than the local parts house that has no interest in my junk...
knattrass
SFC
SFC

Post by knattrass »

By far the best guy is JimWallace in Florida - great guy - $195. You can't come close with the detail Jim provides.
Tom @ Snake River
SSGT
SSGT

Post by Tom @ Snake River »

I have ALFA kits in stock for $35.00
www.snakeriver4x4.com
www.snakeriver4x4.com
M-37's - WC-51 - M-29C - WC-25 cc - CCKW
M-274 - M-101 - G-527 Water Buffalo
G-7117 Chevy
steved
CPL
CPL

Post by steved »

Tom @ Snake River wrote:I have ALFA kits in stock for $35.00
www.snakeriver4x4.com

Called and ordered! Thanks Tom!
Lifer
1SG
1SG

Post by Lifer »

steved wrote:The local Napa told me that number was no good, they couldn't even cross the ETW-1. He told me the number should be an EBT-x or something like that...

I called another place, they found a B&B listed for the 1953 dodge, I assume a B&B is a B&B? They didn't show any ETW-1 specifically, just the B&B. For $20, I'll see if it works.
Sounds like your NAPA guy was one of the young idiots who only knoow how to find what's in the computer. I took your question to the "old guy" at my local NAPA store and he had no trouble finding the kit in the books. I recommend that anyone who gets a "there's no such part" response from his NAPA dealer (or other parts store, for that matter) insists on having the guy "look in the book." Not all parts get put on the computer data base...only the most common ones get listed there!
"PER ARDUA AD ITER"
steved
CPL
CPL

Post by steved »

This guy has never given me problems in the past...its his business (not an employee), he was always helpful finding parts for my other odd projects.
mattveeder
CPL
CPL

Post by mattveeder »

I got my kit from vintage powerwagons. It was great and had all of the parts you need. As for the fuel pump they told me that the nos kits would end up leaking gas into your oil. So I got one of their rebuilt pumps since they had no kit to sell. What a pice os s*^t it was. I found a 24 volt pump and installed that. it was one of the best things I did to that engine short of the electronic ignition.
steved
CPL
CPL

Post by steved »

OK, if you run an electric pump for gas, did you leave the mechanical there for vacuum??
mattveeder
CPL
CPL

Post by mattveeder »

I cheated and left it there so I could use the vacum. Also so I would not have to make a block off plate. I used a facet pump found it searching for "24 volt fuel pump". It was an easy install. The wireing is simple I used a 10 amp fuse cause it is required and also a relay. It is on the inside frame rail just behind the drivers seat. For the fittings to change over to 5/16 line I went to my local hydraulic shop. Most people use rubber line but it was nice using change over fittings from standard pipi thread to npt. It also has an internal prefilter which is an added bonus.