Discuss fixes, upgrades and modifications to your M37

Moderators: Cal_Gary, T. Highway, Monkey Man, robi

GregL
PFC
PFC

Clutch & Oil Drain Plug question

Post by GregL »

Hi guys,

This is actually my second post, but I'm still a newbie (and learning), I've only had my rig for a month, but I love it!

After gathering all my maintenance manuals, a new oil filter and gasket (which I didn't know NAPA had until tonight), and an oil drain pan (cuz I haven't changed oil in many years, it's no fun on new cars), I was ready! After reading here about using a 1/2" drive socket wrench to get the plug off, I had my oil draining! But isn't there supposed to be a gasket on the drain plug? Are they available?

Even worse, though, the big round thing with a drain plug just to the rear of the oil pan (clutch, right?) had NO plug at all!!! I have no idea how long it's been that way, but I've been driving it for the last few days and everything seemed OK, must be one tough box! I noticed that the plug threads are the same for the oil pan and the clutch, are the plugs (and gaskets) available anywhere?

Thanks, you guys are a wealth of info!
Lifer
1SG
1SG

Post by Lifer »

The "big round thing behind the oil pan" is your clutch housing. The threaded hole is for installing a fording plug. It is only used when fording. You wouldn't want to get your clutch soaked, would you? Otherwise, it is properly stored in the glove compartment. :)
"PER ARDUA AD ITER"
GregL
PFC
PFC

Post by GregL »

OK, ignorant question coming... I'm not a complete idiot, but I don't work on vehicles a lot. Do you mean that the clutch housing is supposed to have an open hole in the bottom?
Carter
1SG
1SG

Post by Carter »

GregL wrote:OK, ignorant question coming... I'm not a complete idiot, but I don't work on vehicles a lot. Do you mean that the clutch housing is supposed to have an open hole in the bottom?
Yes, It remains open unless you are fording then the plug should be installed. When removed after fording it's stored in the glove box.
You have a good looking truck, they are a lot of fun :D
Carter
Life Member:
Delta, Peach Bottom Fish & Game Assn.
Cal_Gary

Post by Cal_Gary »

Hi Greg,
Where in CA are you? There are quite a few of us forum members in CA.
Welcome-and keep asking, that's how you learn!
Gary
Cal_Gary
1954 M37 W/W
MVPA Correspondent #28500
MSeriesRebuild
1SG
1SG

Re: Clutch & Oil Drain Plug question

Post by MSeriesRebuild »

GregL wrote:Hi guys,

This is actually my second post, but I'm still a newbie (and learning), I've only had my rig for a month, but I love it!

After gathering all my maintenance manuals, a new oil filter and gasket (which I didn't know NAPA had until tonight), and an oil drain pan (cuz I haven't changed oil in many years, it's no fun on new cars), I was ready! After reading here about using a 1/2" drive socket wrench to get the plug off, I had my oil draining! But isn't there supposed to be a gasket on the drain plug? Are they available?

Even worse, though, the big round thing with a drain plug just to the rear of the oil pan (clutch, right?) had NO plug at all!!! I have no idea how long it's been that way, but I've been driving it for the last few days and everything seemed OK, must be one tough box! I noticed that the plug threads are the same for the oil pan and the clutch, are the plugs (and gaskets) available anywhere?

Thanks, you guys are a wealth of info!
The plugs originally had a copper gasket on them. I think you can find a replacement gasket at your local NAPA store. Take the plug with you so a proper fit can be accomplished.
Charles Talbert
www.mseriesrebuild.com
MSeriesRebuild
1SG
1SG

Post by MSeriesRebuild »

GregL wrote:OK, ignorant question coming... I'm not a complete idiot, but I don't work on vehicles a lot. Do you mean that the clutch housing is supposed to have an open hole in the bottom?
The reason for the open hole in the clutch inspection cover is to allow any oil that seeps past the rear main seal to escape rather than building up to the point of getting on the clutch disc facing material.
Charles Talbert
www.mseriesrebuild.com
GregL
PFC
PFC

Post by GregL »

Hey guys, thanks for the info! I'll check out NAPA for the plug and gasket.

My rig is in the Tehachapi area, it fits right in up here driving around the country roads.