WILLIAM TELL

Discuss fixes, upgrades and modifications to your M37

Moderators: Cal_Gary, T. Highway, Monkey Man, robi

ELBUFO
PFC
PFC

WILLIAM TELL

Post by ELBUFO »

Just a quick note: My hood prop rod ends (rubber) were shot. A minor but irritating condition. I was moving my bow and arrows, when I noticed the rubber tipped practice arrow tips looked like a perfect fit. They in fact were. So for about a buck and a half at the local bow shop, my "M" now has new hood prop tips...So much for all original, but hey!
m-37Bruce
1SG
1SG

Local ?

Post by m-37Bruce »

Like Dick's Sporting Goods or Cabela's?
Bruce,

1953 M-37 w/ow

Retired Again

Keep Em Rollin'

VMVA
ELBUFO
PFC
PFC

Hole In The Wall

Post by ELBUFO »

I got mine at a local mom&pop shop.
Drew M.
CPL
CPL

Also . . .

Post by Drew M. »

I've seen plenty of M37 military modified hood prop rods to extend the life of the bumpers. They welded a washer on each rod perpendicular to the rod length just where the rubber bushing ended after it is slipped on the rod. That way the pressure from the hood was spread across the whole bushing to the washer rather than a 1/4" section of bushing at the rod tip.
Nickathome
1SG
1SG

Re: Also . . .

Post by Nickathome »

Drew M. wrote:I've seen plenty of M37 military modified hood prop rods to extend the life of the bumpers. They welded a washer on each rod perpendicular to the rod length just where the rubber bushing ended after it is slipped on the rod. That way the pressure from the hood was spread across the whole bushing to the washer rather than a 1/4" section of bushing at the rod tip.
Thats a good idea. I already had one spilt up the middle. I'm assuming they were NOS. I did have them a week when the one split. The old ones I removed were both punctured through the top. The washer idea is a good one.
Carter
1SG
1SG

Post by Carter »

Adding washers to the hood prop rods was one of the official army MWOs (Modification Work Orders) to be applied in the field or at the time of depot rebuild. They were added to my truck when it went thru Letterkennys rebuild program.
Carter
Life Member:
Delta, Peach Bottom Fish & Game Assn.
rixm37
MSGT
MSGT

Post by rixm37 »

Carter could you post a pic of the washers on the prop rod ?
1952 M37
M101 trailer
1942 Chevy G506
Carter
1SG
1SG

Post by Carter »

rixm37 wrote:Carter could you post a pic of the washers on the prop rod ?
OK, no problem:

Carter
Life Member:
m-37Bruce
1SG
1SG

Carter 2 The Rescue

Post by m-37Bruce »

Great pictures Carter, how are you doing, getting ready for Ripken?
Bruce,

1953 M-37 w/ow

Retired Again

Keep Em Rollin'

VMVA
Carter
1SG
1SG

Re: Carter 2 The Rescue

Post by Carter »

m-37Bruce wrote:Great pictures Carter, how are you doing, getting ready for Ripken?

Hey Buddy, how's it going? About the pix, thanks, it's all in the camera not me :lol: Not ready for Ripkens yet, to much to do before that starts. I just finished the fireplace chimney and removed the timber scaffold I built. Monday I am starting a M37 engine rebuild for my friend Ralph who will give me a project M37 he has and doesn't have time to do the restoration if I'll do the engine work for his other M37. It's all there just pieces and that will be my next challenge. He has already given a MEP025A genny set and a complete M37 100 amp. charging system for my truck and I am working on a deal to get a radio set-up also for the truck. Will the fun never end?
Your old TIRED buddy, Carter
Carter
Life Member:
rixm37
MSGT
MSGT

Post by rixm37 »

Thanks Carter. A picture is worth a 1000 words. I was not sure where the washer was welded. looks easy to do. Nice pics good camera.
1952 M37
M101 trailer
1942 Chevy G506
Carter
1SG
1SG

Post by Carter »

rixm37 wrote:Thanks Carter. A picture is worth a 1000 words. I was not sure where the washer was welded. looks easy to do. Nice pics good camera.
You are welcome, happy to help.
Carter
Life Member: