Any dove hunters out there?

Discuss all non M37 related issues here

Moderators: Cal_Gary, T. Highway, Monkey Man, robi

Nickathome
1SG
1SG

Any dove hunters out there?

Post by Nickathome »

Just curious if there are any dove hunters among us besides myself. Anyone go out yesterday forthe opener? I went out but didn't have very good luck. May head out again tonight if the wife can get home early enough to watch the kids. .....
Lifer
1SG
1SG

Post by Lifer »

I used to get my fair share of doves, but can't walk far enough to do it any more. :( Anyway, dove season hasn't opened here yet.
"PER ARDUA AD ITER"
Nickathome
1SG
1SG

Dove season

Post by Nickathome »

Lifer wrote:I used to get my fair share of doves, but can't walk far enough to do it any more. :( Anyway, dove season hasn't opened here yet.
Lifer; I thought the season was the same everywhere as its federally mandated along with waterfowl?
Gerry
MSGT
MSGT

Post by Gerry »

In Connecticut we are not allowed to hunt doves because they are considered a songbird.What a waste.
Gerry

53 M37
Lifer
1SG
1SG

Re: Dove season

Post by Lifer »

Nickathome wrote:Lifer; I thought the season was the same everywhere as its federally mandated along with waterfowl?
The federal date is the national "no earlier than" date. The individual states may set later opening dates if they so choose, but they can't start earlier. Make sense?
"PER ARDUA AD ITER"
Nickathome
1SG
1SG

Re: Dove season

Post by Nickathome »

Lifer wrote:
Nickathome wrote:Lifer; I thought the season was the same everywhere as its federally mandated along with waterfowl?
The federal date is the national "no earlier than" date. The individual states may set later opening dates if they so choose, but they can't start earlier. Make sense?
Got ya. Wasn't aware states could set later opening dates.....
HWooldridge
PVT
PVT

Post by HWooldridge »

We have billions of 'em here but mostly whitewings these days. When I was growing up, it was mostly mourning dove but the increase in cultivated acres has made the whitewing population explode so the mourning doves are confined to the brush country.
Nickathome
1SG
1SG

Doves

Post by Nickathome »

Hmm, no whitewings up here in Pa, all mourning doves and they seem to be on the increase this year.
Longhunter7
PFC
PFC

Lonesome Dove!

Post by Longhunter7 »

I had a permit for the second day of Dove season here in Illinois.

It turned out to be the hottest day of the year! :!:

Got up to the mid 90's!

The Doves where not flying at all, only got two.
Longhunter7

Northern Illinois

63' Dodge M37-B1

Molon Lave

NRA Certified Weaponologist
Nickathome
1SG
1SG

Heat

Post by Nickathome »

It was hot here as well the other day. I went out on Tuesday and it was about 88 degrees at 6:00 pm. The birds were flying though. I didn't go Wed because of my kid's fall baseball practice, nor yesterday because it was 93 degrees. Tonight is my son's first game and tomorrow Hanna is blowing into town so it looks like I won't be gettin gback to the fields until Monday at the earliest.