Fuel Pump/line/filter

Discuss fixes, upgrades and modifications to your M37

Moderators: Cal_Gary, T. Highway, Monkey Man, robi

drowe44
PVT
PVT

Fuel Pump/line/filter

Post by drowe44 »

My old mechanical pump wasn't pushing much fluid so I plumbed in an electric pump that came with the truck. It doesn't seem to push much fluid either. The clear after market in-line filter just before the carb never gets much fuel in it. Generally looks empty. Does anyone know if fuel should flow freely from the stop cock up front? Also, the manual says there is a filter in the tank and another on the generator mount. I can't find that one. Does anyone have any experience or insigt in dealing with the fuel system?
MSeriesRebuild
1SG
1SG

Re: Fuel Pump/line/filter

Post by MSeriesRebuild »

drowe44 wrote:My old mechanical pump wasn't pushing much fluid so I plumbed in an electric pump that came with the truck. It doesn't seem to push much fluid either. The clear after market in-line filter just before the carb never gets much fuel in it. Generally looks empty. Does anyone know if fuel should flow freely from the stop cock up front? Also, the manual says there is a filter in the tank and another on the generator mount. I can't find that one. Does anyone have any experience or insigt in dealing with the fuel system?
Remove the line at the carb bowl to check the fuel flow, you can easily tell what the pump is doing. The B1 trucks have only the in tank filter, trucks prior to the B1's have the filter canister mounted on the voltage regulator bracket. These trucks have no in tank filter. This information holds true unless someone has altered the original system. Since yours has no canister type filter, you should have the in tank set up. It is common for the line to become clogged at the pick up tube in the tank, especially if gas has been allowed to set in the tank for a period of time. I would disconnect & blow out all lines, if the residue is hard in the line, it may require rodding out to clean it. This is what I would check 1st.
Charles Talbert
www.mseriesrebuild.com
Nickathome
1SG
1SG

Filters/pumps

Post by Nickathome »

I have a similar setup in my truck and the fuel filter usually is about 1/3rd full of fuel while running. Seems to run fine this way and I was told its normal. I would think as long as your truck runs OK the way you have it setup, then it should be fine. I would however remove the fuel line as Charles suggests and check for any clogs just to rule that out.
drowe44
PVT
PVT

Post by drowe44 »

I pulled the fuel line and the pump is pushing plenty of gas. Thanks
Nickathome
1SG
1SG

pump..

Post by Nickathome »

Again, if its running fine I would be inclined to leave things alone at that point.
NCmountainman
PFC
PFC

Post by NCmountainman »

I had to clean out my in-the-tank fuel pick-up tube. It was nearly clogged. Took about an hour of soaking with GUNK and pushing and pulling of a piece of flat heavy copper wire through the tube, from both ends. Finally got all of the clog out. :D
Ed Bennett
MVPA #31853
1951 Dodge M37 G741
1983 Jeep CJ5
1942 Chev G506 (SOLD)
Nothing is Fool Proof to a suffeciently talented fool.