Project Zach - Part One

Talk about your truck here

Moderators: Cal_Gary, T. Highway, Monkey Man, robi

knattrass
SFC
SFC

Project Zach - Part One

Post by knattrass »

Here we are in the driveway installing the rear fender welts. We haven't added the bumpette markings yet. If you look closely at the right bumperette, you can see a small clear/white lens right below the bolts - that is one of the 24v LED back up lights mounted up underneath.

Image[/img]

You can see the Pullman strap installed on the box, it is the first pullman strap application I've come across. We found the straps NOS, but have never seen them as repros. If you think you want one, maybe John B. can get them made? Let me know if you want the measurements.

The violation is clearly to the left of the steering column - key switch, cargo lamp switch, and backup lamp switches - easily removed if you're looking for a real restoration.
Nickathome
1SG
1SG

Fender welts

Post by Nickathome »

Man that is one gorgeous truck.
HingsingM37
1SG
1SG

Post by HingsingM37 »

Looks great. Very nice work. Thanks for the post, I was wondering how the HMMV tailamps I bought for mine were going to look installed :)
David
HingsingM37
1958 M37B1
1968 M101A1 Trailer
MVPA# 33078

"Do Not Take Counsel of Your Fears"
General George S. Patton Jr.

"Those who pound their guns into plows, will plow for those who do not".
monkeymissile
SSGT
SSGT

Post by monkeymissile »

Very handsome, but you're going to cry when it gets scratched or dinged!
1953 Dodge M43

Fail often to succeed sooner
knattrass
SFC
SFC

Post by knattrass »

Thanks guys! The taillamps will require a little extension bracket which we made out of some 2x3 flat stock from HD. We actually bought 2 heavy duty deck brackets and cut off the bend. After drilling 4 holes the size of the truck bracket, the spacing provided about 1" of true extension. I'll try to take a pic.
peter e mark
SSGT
SSGT

Post by peter e mark »

knattrass, and knattrass junior, Yours is the very best truck this reenactor has ever seen , for sure. And seeing it is certainly both a humbling and encouraging experience. Don't know if I'll ever get even close to that level of restoration, but your truck sure is a fine reference point. Thank You for sharing ...Peter Mark
1952 M37 W/W
Veteran of 82 ABN. Division Motor Pool 1969
HingsingM37
1SG
1SG

Post by HingsingM37 »

Knattrass, I figured the lamps being larger would need a little mod. A pic would be great. I will be installing them soon. Thanks. :)
David
HingsingM37
1958 M37B1
1968 M101A1 Trailer
MVPA# 33078

"Do Not Take Counsel of Your Fears"
General George S. Patton Jr.

"Those who pound their guns into plows, will plow for those who do not".
VROD02
PFC
PFC

Post by VROD02 »

WOW what kind of paint? Shows of the nice silhouette of the photographer! :lol: Very nice truck you got there. Nice mod's that can be changed at a later date. :mrgreen:
m-37Bruce
1SG
1SG

Sharp

Post by m-37Bruce »

Looking real good, Gillespie Coatings?
Bruce,

1953 M-37 w/ow

Retired Again

Keep Em Rollin'

VMVA
VROD02
PFC
PFC

Re: Sharp

Post by VROD02 »

m-37Bruce wrote:Looking real good, Gillespie Coatings?
No Way! :roll:
Lifer
1SG
1SG

Post by Lifer »

VROD02 wrote:WOW what kind of paint? Shows of the nice silhouette of the photographer!
Definately the shiniest Army truck I ever saw!
"PER ARDUA AD ITER"
uglyranger
PFC
PFC

Post by uglyranger »

Great looking truck. I like seeing somebody doing it their own way. I like the unpainted bolt heads on the tailgate and Jerry can holder, the unpainted exhaust and tip....the little touches. Where did you get you fender welt?
knattrass
SFC
SFC

Post by knattrass »

Living here in the "D," there is a little knowledge of automotive finishes so the expert advice comes from "experts." No one had ever heard of Gillespie Coatings but we bought a case of rattle cans to do some of the small parts like the gauges, knobs, etc. We did a spray out card at PPG and they matched an acrylic enamel sold under the name DelStar. The mix is 8:6:1, paint to reducer to hardner. You have the option of adding a flatting agent to get to the lusterless finish but you lose the durability. Zach liked the higher gloss and the ability to clean the truck(I know what you are thinking). Its matched to 24087. You can see that we touched up the NOS parts like the defog duct from MWM using the rattlecan to keep with the idea that no add ons ever matched. Get ready - $211 per gallon + reducer/hardner. We also color matched a 2 part epoxy called CRE corrosion resistant epoxy.

After mixing, Zach takes the mix cup around and brushes the bolt heads, so there won't be any chrome bolts left exposed. We did use alot of SS bolts which we will not paint.

The welting came from MWM.
m-37Bruce
1SG
1SG

Regardless

Post by m-37Bruce »

Sweet paint job. I know how much the reducer & hardener run $$$! YIKES
DelStar seems a little high, but looks GREAT. So does your rig, it's nice to see that you and Zach are having fun too.
Bruce,

1953 M-37 w/ow

Retired Again

Keep Em Rollin'

VMVA
Cal_Gary

Post by Cal_Gary »

Nice indeed!
Gary
Cal_Gary
1954 M37 W/W
MVPA Correspondent #28500