Low compression

Build and Restoration Threads Belong Here

Moderators: Cal_Gary, T. Highway, Monkey Man, robi

jim lee
SSGT
SSGT

Re: Low compression

Post by jim lee »

Dan & Dumb dumb doggy (Scout) under the truck.

Spent all day at the shop with Dan today. He's actually liking this. Dan Likes it and Alex, the oldest likes it. Shelby's having a tough go because she's finding her lack of manly upper body strength holding her back.

So today we spent solving problems. How to get the &*$^(#@ power take off shaft out, or at least disconnected. How to get the exhaust pipe off. How to unbolt the radiator mount.. I finally broke down and went out and bought a couple air/impact wrenches, a long extension and a bottle of spray penetrating oil kinda' stuff. Aro-somehting, s'pose to be the best stuff possible.

After two days of feeble attempts and being nice, the exhaust pipe caved in ten seconds hitting the nuts with the impact wrench. Dan never seen anything like this before. Then the driveshaft for the power take off finally popped off when I used a large crescent wrench like a prying fork and a section of 2" pipe over the handle.

Radiator mount was giving troubles. I sent Dan down there with the new air ratchet. He couldn't get them to budge so I went after 'em with the impact gun. Got one out and managed to rip the welded in backing nut out on the other. Grrr... Did manage to get a wrench on the backing nut and had Dan run the impact gun for his first time. Danny now thinks these air wrenches are pretty cool things.

So were THIS close to pulling the motor and got stymied by the clutch and throttle linkages. How in the world do you disconnect these things? The manual talks about pulling the cotter pins. I can see 'em, but can't get at 'em. Does anyone have any advise on this?

Thanks!

-jim lee
vtdeucedriver
SFC
SFC

Post by vtdeucedriver »

OUTSTANDING FAMILY THREAD!!!!! Gives me hope with my little one yr old but with a yard full of MV's in various sizes, I think she will be right there with daddy.

If your pulling the engine and trans as a package. You need to take the linkages apart at the transmission (rt side cluster) and then the clutch and throttle linkage at the left side of the engine. All have cotterpins. Once you see them, use a good pair of "Alternative pliers" and pull them out any way you can.
Green Mountain Military Vehicle Club Army Transportation Association Vietnam

http://linehaulrvn.tripod.com
1951 M37
1954 M37
1953 M62
1967 M54A1C
1968 M54A2C
1968 M52A2
1966 M151A1
jim lee
SSGT
SSGT

Post by jim lee »

Cotter pins are out on the left side. Throttle is disconnected. But the clutch? The pin won't budge. Any ideas on the clutch pin? We get the clutch then rear mount bolts and we can try pulling it. And see what else we forgot.

What do you mean about taking them apart at the right hand cluster? "You need to take the linkages apart at the transmission (rt side cluster)" I thought all the linkage stuff came along with the engine.

Oil drain plug, looks like a 12pt allen head? Is this standard? What to use to pull this out?

If you have any suggestions you can email

m37@leftcoast.biz

and we'll hear it come in at the shop where we're working.

-jim lee
MSeriesRebuild
1SG
1SG

Post by MSeriesRebuild »

jim lee wrote:Cotter pins are out on the left side. Throttle is disconnected. But the clutch? The pin won't budge. Any ideas on the clutch pin? We get the clutch then rear mount bolts and we can try pulling it. And see what else we forgot.

What do you mean about taking them apart at the right hand cluster? "You need to take the linkages apart at the transmission (rt side cluster)" I thought all the linkage stuff came along with the engine.

Oil drain plug, looks like a 12pt allen head? Is this standard? What to use to pull this out?

If you have any suggestions you can email

m37@leftcoast.biz

and we'll hear it come in at the shop where we're working.

-jim lee
Transfer and e-brake linkage bracket is attached to the trans case by 3 bolts, remove them and shift the lever assy toward the right, engine/trans is free to come out. The oil plug sounds like it may take a torx bit to remove it. Common at good tool outlets. That is not standard however, the original would require a 1/2" square drive bit to remove. Clutch linkage pin becomes worn, thus is hard to push out because of an out of round condition. You'll have to get ingenious with that one; it's an any which way you can removal procedure generally.
Charles Talbert
www.mseriesrebuild.com
jim lee
SSGT
SSGT

Post by jim lee »

You are right, Allie is trying to drain the oil with the 1/2" drive. Scared to get it on herself.

Right side linkage is off, mounts are pulled and reattached.. There are two pins for the clutch linkage. The rear one is loose, but it hits the tranny when I try to slide it out. So we tried pushing in the clutch. That clears the tranny but locks in the pin.. Good lord!

pound it out with an air chisel?

-jim lee
jim lee
SSGT
SSGT

Post by jim lee »

Bought air chisel, they work wonderful!

Need bigger cherry picker.

-jim
jim lee
SSGT
SSGT

Post by jim lee »

Ok where were we?

I was whining about not being able to pull out this (*(*@E^%R%^ engine..
Julie & Shelby assembing the engine stand. I'm hoping 1,000 lb stand will do?

Allie & Dan fighting out the engine mounting bolts.. The girls have such nice small hands for getting at cotter pins.

Lets see if it will come out? This is after we bought the air chisel for blasting out the clutch linkage pin. SHot the pin out, bounced off the gearbox and into the pan of used motor oil. Yuch!

The three musketeers! These guys make this stuff go MUCH faster. The impact wrench does tend to rip the threads off/out of anything you use it on.

It won't come out! Extreme frustration! We finally went home in total despair. And the radiator is hitting the arm on the cherry picker. Time to sleep on it.

When you're completely stumped, bring someone along that can see things you can't. We left the kids at home and Julie & I came out this AM for a look. After some pulling and pushing. "What the heck is holding this?" Julie noticed something that seemed to be attaching the engine to the firewall. Sure enough, I'd forgotten the grounding strap! Dumb dumb dumb!

SUCESS!! Julie says it felt like the truck gave birth after a long labor.

Now its time to go drink beer. (Quote from Julie)

Julie just read this over my shoulder and is cracking up.

-jim lee
T. Highway

Post by T. Highway »

Jim,

Very good job getting the engine pulled. Julie had the right idea........BEER time after all the hard work. :D

Bert
1952 M37 W/W Rebuild @ 59% complete
Engine rebuild @ 95% complete
1985 M1009, 1990 M101A2, 2008 M116A3 Pioneer tool trailer
MVPA # 24265
NRA Life Member
NRA Cert. Personal Protection Pistol Instructor
NRA Cert. RSO
Class III RSO/KCR
m-37Bruce
1SG
1SG

Post by m-37Bruce »

MASS Quantities!
I was thinking it was the radiator was holding up the progress!
Bruce,

1953 M-37 w/ow

Retired Again

Keep Em Rollin'

VMVA
52 M-42
SFC
SFC

Post by 52 M-42 »

Listen to Julie! :D

She speaks words of wisdom and truth!

Congratulations on your engine extraction success!

52 M-42
jim lee
SSGT
SSGT

Post by jim lee »

One upgrade we're going to need is new wiring. The old wires are just falling apart. Who was it that makes and sells wiring harnesses for these machines? I remember seeing their webpage but lost the link. Anyone have the link?

Thanks!

-jim lee
m-37Bruce
1SG
1SG

Post by m-37Bruce »

Vintage Wiring of Maine, top dog for sure. Goggle 'em, they will appear magically.
Bruce,

1953 M-37 w/ow

Retired Again

Keep Em Rollin'

VMVA
jim lee
SSGT
SSGT

Post by jim lee »

Thanks! That's what I was looking for.
http://www.vintagewiringofmaine.com

-jim lee
T. Highway

Post by T. Highway »

Jim Lee,

I ordered mine from them, it is a work of art and has excellent install instructions included with it.

Keep in mind that you can have it customized for turn signals, electric fuel pump etc.

Bert
1952 M37 W/W Rebuild @ 59% complete
Engine rebuild @ 95% complete
1985 M1009, 1990 M101A2, 2008 M116A3 Pioneer tool trailer
MVPA # 24265
NRA Life Member
NRA Cert. Personal Protection Pistol Instructor
NRA Cert. RSO
Class III RSO/KCR
jim lee
SSGT
SSGT

Post by jim lee »

Not much going on with the poor truck. Kids are buried at school, I'm busy building boats. I did manage to talk to the Vintage Wiring of Main people. Ordered a complete harness with blinkers etc. I can now toss the old crispy wiring along with its P.O. hacks. That'll be nice! Pretty soon I guess i'll be calling Midwest Military. Everyone points at them when I start asking about parts we need. I'm starting to put together a list..

-jim lee